Can an employer not allow a firearm in a vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I thought it was illegal to store firearms in cars/trucks in Maryland , that is where some of the conflict comes in with the old HPRB and now the OAH . It now places a extra burden on legal carry persons .

This is what i thought

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I thought it was illegal to store firearms in cars/trucks in Maryland , that is where some of the conflict comes in with the old HPRB and now the OAH . It now places a extra burden on legal carry persons.

Depends on your restrictions or lack of them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I thought it was illegal to store firearms in cars/trucks in Maryland , that is where some of the conflict comes in with the old HPRB and now the OAH . It now places a extra burden on legal carry persons .

This is what i thought
    Depends on your restrictions or lack of them.
    And you're both referring to handguns (vs long guns) to clarify for other readers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Are you getting it's a company car from the bolded above?

I think it's a personal car the OP means.
    Yes I am. Is the lot company property or if it leased, does it have stipulations as well?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Company lot company rules.......NO!!! (my company has them in place)
    Even if its not company lot ... NO!!!! by some reason, do you want to risk your job, or do you want a "career defining moment"????

Just those two are enough to go wow man, why???

But, common sense tells me, aint no way im locking a weapon away unattended like that....just nooo way.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Can a company in Maryland not allow its employees to have a legal firearm locked in their vehicles in the parking lot? The employee in question does have a wear carry permit in Maryland.

To clean up your statement and eliminate some of the ensuing confusion, you're asking:

Can a non-felon adult in the state of Maryland, legally secure/lock their personal firearm out of sight in a personal vehicle, while parked in an employers private parking lot?

I'm not a lawyer and you'll get as good of advice as you pay for, but keep silent about it and nobody will know about it. Simple as that.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    there is the BS MD transport law, permit restrictions and all to consider. However, my car= my property, what I keep in it is none of their business, If a job requires I submit to a search of personal property to maintain employment, then gun or not, guess I quit. The real question is to what degree do property rights extend vs personal rights, businesses can't discriminate based on a pile of demographic criteria, can't refuse to allow service dogs, medical apparatus, and must accommodate a number of personal needs by law, so currently I'll carry right past the sign, and sleep just fine. If the right to defend oneself was respected on the same level as one's right to an emotional support hamster, or a buisness would be liable for injuries suffered by a person who was disarmed by their policy, then these BS policies wouldn't be as prevelent as they are. If one brings up the Libertarian ideal situation where a property owner is free to discriminate at will, they can refuse entry to who they wish, even then they still cannot go around kidnapping people, beating random guests or hold someone for ransom, all they can do is ask someone to leave if they cannot come to an agreement.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    there is the BS MD transport law, permit restrictions and all to consider. However, my car= my property, what I keep in it is none of their business, If a job requires I submit to a search of personal property to maintain employment, then gun or not, guess I quit. The real question is to what degree do property rights extend vs personal rights, businesses can't discriminate based on a pile of demographic criteria, can't refuse to allow service dogs, medical apparatus, and must accommodate a number of personal needs by law, so currently I'll carry right past the sign, and sleep just fine. If the right to defend oneself was respected on the same level as one's right to an emotional support hamster, or a buisness would be liable for injuries suffered by a person who was disarmed by their policy, then these BS policies wouldn't be as prevelent as they are. If one brings up the Libertarian ideal situation where a property owner is free to discriminate at will, they can refuse entry to who they wish, even then they still cannot go around kidnapping people, beating random guests or hold someone for ransom, all they can do is ask someone to leave if they cannot come to an agreement.

I'm kind of thinking your way. What would happen if a company said you cannot keep a Bible in your car?

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a law was passed several years ago that allowed a gun be secured in a vehicle while the owner was at work parked in the business parking lot. (not a company car).

Indiana has that law.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Indiana has that law.

As does AZ.

A year or so ago I noticed that our company policy was quietly updated to remove restrictions on legal firearms in company vehicles and on company property. That’s surprising for a Fortune 500 in my opinion. Leads me to believe that case law somewhere drove the change.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    As does AZ.

A year or so ago I noticed that our company policy was quietly updated to remove restrictions on legal firearms in company vehicles and on company property. That’s surprising for a Fortune 500 in my opinion.

:thumbsup:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm kind of thinking your way. What would happen if a company said you cannot keep a Bible in your car?

One problem with these policies for those that can carry is that you would end up disarmed from the time you leave your house till the time you get back. It extends far beyond their "property". IMO your vehicle is your property, they have no right to say what you can or cannot have in your car, especially if it's not visible from the outside.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    One problem with these policies for those that can carry is that you would end up disarmed from the time you leave your house till the time you get back. It extends far beyond their "property". IMO your vehicle is your property, they have no right to say what you can or cannot have in your car, especially if it's not visible from the outside.

Do you have the right to put rules in place with what happens and what is brought on your personally owned property?

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Do you have the right to put rules in place with what happens and what is brought on your personally owned property?

Interesting point, but there are many things you can't prevent depending on the kind of property. If you have a business, you must allow all customers. (Hog's Breath Saloon - required to install handicapped features). Building, health, and alcohol enforcement.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Interesting point, but there are many things you can't prevent depending on the kind of property. If you have a business, you must allow all customers. (Hog's Breath Saloon - required to install handicapped features). Building, health, and alcohol enforcement.

No, all businesses do not allow all customers to enter the business.
    Most manufacturing/secure buildings have employee passcards to enter parking lot and or the building. The public at large has no access to many different businesses.
    With most State laws you dont have to upgrade handicapped access unless you are doing other building upgrades.

So back to the question, does the property owner have the right to make rules on what happens and what can come on his property?

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    No, all businesses do not allow all customers to enter the business.
    Most manufacturing/secure buildings have employee passcards to enter parking lot and or the building. The public at large has no access to many different businesses.
    With most State laws you dont have to upgrade handicapped access unless you are doing other building upgrades.

So back to the question, does the property owner have the right to make rules on what happens and what can come on his property?

Go find somebody else to argue with. I was just showing some examples. Clearly you know everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom