• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Only 5 signed up for Sanner's Lake this weekend?? :( The nephew and myself are 2, can we find a few more out there?

Yeah, we had fewer folks signed up - 5 at Sanders and 5 at Annapolis. But more shooting and personal instruction for those that attend! Really looking forward our memorial volley. And the Patriot’s Day shirts look amazing as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    What a great weekend to celebrate our history of marksmanship at the excellent rimfire range at Anne Arundel Fish and Game in Annapolis.

Pictures are available on the Appleseed Maryland Facebook Page.

It started cool and damp both mornings but in both cases improved as the day went on. Saturday was beautiful in the afternoon - 70F and partly sunny. You only get so many perfect days in the mid-Atlantic between the hot humid summers and the damp cold winters, but this was one of them. Sunday started cool and stayed cool - but at 60F and cloudy it was perfect shooting weather for sure.

Saturday's instruction and first two strikes were followed by 2 AQTs - we had three Rifleman requalifiers and two cleared redcoats by day's send. Great job Andy, Sharif, and Jason!

Sunday was even better - folks had a chance to recover and let the lessons sink in. The redcoats and squares showed immediate improvement in group sizes.

Josh, using his own Tippmann Appleseed edition rifle with Troy iron sights, started in the 190s on Saturday and was committed to improving, locking in a lesson in each position, fully engaged in the Rifleman's Dance. His first AQT of Sunday was an agonizing 209 but then he broke through with a 213 and was scoring in the 220s and cleared his Redcoat. He is committed to pushing for his distinguished patch at a future Appleseed. Huzzah!

Jason (also running his own Appleseed edition Tippmann) and Sharif continued to re-qualify in the 230s most of the weekend. Sharif was going for distinguished but ended up with anguished, scoring a 237. Next time!

The instructor corps is most proud of the progress of Joe and Quentin, a beginner father and son combo that progressed a lot.

We struggled on Saturday to get a loaner that would fit 9-year old Quentin trying a semi-auto with a scope, moving to a CZ scout with tech sights, and finally coming back to the first rifle with a smaller youth stock on a rest. The breakthrough was IIT Etervigila coaching him one-on-one, moving the scope back to fix the eye relief, building an improvised foam cheek rest, and finally adding a bipod. After rezero-ing, we had locked in a winning combination and Quentin's scores went up significantly on Sunday. This was his first time even handling a rifle and he received the coveted William Diamond patch.

Joe was putting up very respectable Standing scores but the prone and seated positions and timed courses of fire were new to him and each AQT brought a new challenge. Sometimes a rapid AQT is just what is needed to get someone into the Rifleman's bubble - and boy did it work for Joe! In just four minutes, in his first rapid AQT ever, doing all of the transitions between positions, and using a sub-optimal sling he knocked out a 195 - HUZZAH!!!! On the last AQT he was building a qualifying score but in Stage 4, the rifle wouldn't feed or extract anymore (despite multiple rounds removed from the chamber using a rod by an instructor) and he ran out of time. I hope Joe and Quentin come out again - we would love to build on that.

The shooters learned a lot from the history and conducted an impressive memorial volley in honor of those who sacrificed their lives for our Liberty on April 19th, 1775 - we even had one cleared Redcoat. As we emphasized several times in the Strikes, let us remember that we must honor these people with our civic engagement every day or John Adams will repent in heaven and all the fallen patriots will rise again and devour your souls - ok, only part of that is true, but you get my point and isn't it better not to take the chance?

Thank you to all of our shooters for coming out and working so hard to improve - you make everything worth it. Please come back and bring a friend or two.

Thank you to our red hat ABCGarand for coming out on Saturday and our previously mentioned IIT Etervigila for excellent work on both days. And thanks again to AAFG for hosting - everyone expressed what an ideal range it is and we greatly appreciate your support!

57247054_2142212662533152_5676717348103389184_n.jpg

56947214_2142211842533234_3211190865028448256_n.jpg

Last edited:

Bowieite

Sep 22, 2013
    Undisclosed Location
    I am putting together a Remington 597 for Rimfire Appleseeds, since I can't use my M&P 15-22 any longer, and have a question for those smarter than I. I would like to use it for a KD event in the future, and I read the recommendation to use a 20 MOA mount at Rimfire KD's. I understand the principle of it, but want to make sure I need it for the 200 yard shots at Sudlersville. My scope is a BSA Sweet 22 and it has 40 MOA of elevation adjustment. Should I still go with a 20 MOA mount?

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I am putting together a Remington 597 for Rimfire Appleseeds, since I can't use my M&P 15-22 any longer, and have a question for those smarter than I. I would like to use it for a KD event in the future, and I read the recommendation to use a 20 MOA mount at Rimfire KD's. I understand the principle of it, but want to make sure I need it for the 200 yard shots at Sudlersville. My scope is a BSA Sweet 22 and it has 40 MOA of elevation adjustment. Should I still go with a 20 MOA mount?

Well, there are a couple answers to that question. I am sure smarter folks than me can chime in too.

First, consider the ammo and estimated drop at the ranges we will be shooting (from internet sources - dependent on other variables):

CCI Minimag - 50 yard zero
    100 yard drop - 5.6 inches
    150 yard drop - 20 inches
    200 yard drop - 44 inches

CCI Standard Velocity - 50 yard zero
    100 yard drop - 7.6 inches
    150 yard drop - 26 inches
    200 yard drop - 56 inches

It is a lot of drop at 200 yards! So you need a lot of adjustment range.

Second, remember that is 40 MOA of total adjustment - 20 MOA up and 20 MOA down if you are exactly centered, which you mayor may not be. We test - for real, not in a spec sheet - how much total elevation you have and the consistency of your gearing during the event. We have had lower end scopes die when they cannot bottom or top out - they just break.

A 20 MOA mount gives you a lot more flexibility because more of your 40 MOA is used to compensate for drop rather than wasted at the wrong end of elevation.

I think that scope is just a duplex reticle rather than a mil-dot, MOA, or BDC - but you could use the reticle dimensions (in MOA) for additional hold-over using the top of the thick part of the duplex reticle. It makes it a bit harder (cant becomes absolutely critical, as does the accuracy of the reticle measurements) but can be done.

Mainly, we want people to have fun and really learn their equipment rather than get frustrated. If things go South early, you are probably going to have trouble catching up in our experience. And it is a bit of a specialized activity, versus our normal 25 yard rimfire events and specialized equipment helps. But a 20 MOA base is $30-45, so pretty affordable, and it will work at all ranges so you only have to do it one time.

We will also have loaner a couple proven loaner rifles with scopes and 20 MOA bases and a couple with standard bases and BDC reticles.

Hope others submit answers as well.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Marriottsville, MD AGC May 11-12, 2019

We still have spots on the line open for a 2-day Appleseed clinic at AGC in Marriottsville, May 11-12, 2019.

Both Centerfire and 22 Rimfire rifles are allowed at this event and we had shooters both at a distinguished level (in one case, a perfect 250) on AQTs at our last AGC event in March. AGC is a fantastic range with covered bays for any weather and a sunny, high contrast target line.

Still a little early for a weather forecast, but this Spring has been really pleasant so far with temps in the 60s and 70s. Come Summer, sweaty and with fogging glasses, you may truly regret missing out on the perfect days of April and May.

If you are planning to go to one of our 200-yard rimfire shoots, this is a good time to get confidence in your equipment and 25-yard zero (50-yard zero used for that event is very close to what you use at 25). Remember, you have to have gone to an Appleseed previously to qualify for those events.

And even if you have been to an Appleseed before, we would love to have you on the line!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Upcoming Appleseed Clinics in May and June

Last call for the 2-day Appleseed clinic at AGC Marriottsville this weekend - more information here. There are still several spots open for this rimfire and centerfire event at an excellent range. The weather should be PERFECT for shooting with highs in the mid-60s and lows in the mid-50s.

If this weekend doesn't work for you, our next clinic will be a 2-day rimfire clinic at AAFG in Annapolis on May 25-26, 2019. It is Memorial Day weekend which means two things: it is a great weekend to celebrate and appreciate the sacrifice made by generations of servicemen to defend the freedoms we enjoy and it means you get Monday off to recover from two glorious days of shooting.

We then get into a busy June, with events in Annapolis and Lexington Park on June 8-9. Only a couple spots left at Sanners for that weekend due to Sea Cadets so if you want to shoot, reserve early. Plenty of room available at Annapolis.

After that we will have our one-day 200-yard rimfire shoot in Sudlersville, MD on June 29, 2019. While this is far out, most of the events sold out last year so I suggest you sign up early and often.

Feel free to post or PM questions. Hope to see you on the line!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Annapolis, May 25-26

We still have a lot of spots open for our rimfire-only event at AAFG in Annapolis on May 25-26. More info can be found here.

AAFG is a great range for Appleseed clinics - it is covered in case of any inclement weather or excessive sun (is that thing this spring?), tucked away in a quiet area of the range, and has a nice club house for restroom breaks. We will have plenty of loaner mats and gear as needed - just ask.

Hope to see you on the line!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    AAR - Memorial Day Weekend Clinic - Annapolis, MD May 25-26

What a great weekend of shooting in Annapolis, MD at the excellent rimfire range at Anne Arundel Fish and Game. AAFG is sort of the home range for Maryland Appleseed and we couldn't ask for a more ideal location.

While cookouts and pool openings may get most Americans excited about Memorial Day Weekend, these fine patriots honored our fallen through history and marksmanship. Will A was shooting his second Appleseed and was joined by his brother Ben who was shooting a firearm for the first time. Jonathan H is a long time shooter with the Army and was excited to experience his first Appleseed as well with his iron sighted 10/22. A friend who went to sniper school had a Rifleman patch on his gear and Jonathan wanted to see what this Appleseed thing was all about.

Saturday provided perfect Spring weather - 75F and sunny with low humidity - and we took full advantage of it. After the first Redcoats showed what a challenge our shooters had ahead of them, we launched into instruction and squares - zeroing rifles, applying steady hold factors, the six steps to firing a shot, and NPOA. We saw significant improvement in group sizes and moved to Grenadier targets (greens) to practice new positions.

The first un-timed AQT was a huge success - Will A shot a 221 from his bipoded loaner, earning a Sons of Liberty patch - Huzzah! On the second AQT of Saturday, Jonathan shot a 222 to earn his Rifleman patch! He talked about what a difference moving his belt buckle made in the prone positions and we saw a lot more of that from all of the shooters through the weekend. Saturday wrapped up with a Red Coat and we saw significant improvement from all shooters, with Jonathan clearing it.

Saturday also saw us get through the first and second strikes of the match. While the weekend is focused on rifle marksmanship, we passed around the 16-inch long bayonet to emphasize what trials the colonists faced that day which made a strong impression on our young shooters.

How do you follow-up on such a perfect Saturday? Well Sunday dawned with a significant uptick in temperatures and humidity - from Spring right to Maryland summer as we peaked at 92F, high humidity, and bright sun. We emphasized hydration at every possible moment and tore through a 32 pack of water bottles.

Redcoats on Sunday morning were better than Saturday but the shingle proved elusive and no one cleared the target. And so we began the AQT grind.

Will switched from bipod to sling and practiced seated and prone positions, picking up lessons in each. We saw significant improvement at times, good shifts, and tight groups, but then would see some drift from trigger control, support elbow placement, and sling tension. Rifleman is a journey Will - it takes practice to earn that patch. But we are excited to see you on your way!

Ben stayed with the bipod all weekend and despite this being his first time shooting a firearm, also saw significant improvement. His best target from the bipod was in the 180s! Keep practicing what you learned and you will be on the road to Rifleman as well.

Jonathan re-qualified with a 224 on the first AQT of the day, but wasn't finished yet, knocking out two Distinguished scores with his iron-sighted 10/22 including a high of 237! That is some fine shooting and he now has bragging rights over his friend who "only" earned a Rifleman patch. And since he cleared his Red Coat on Saturday, he earned the Maryland Distinguished Front Sight Patch as well. It was wonderful to have such a great, but teachable, shooter on the line. He hopes to bring some other folks from his National Guard unit to a future shoot and we would be honored to teach them.

Thanks to Beswift for joining me on Saturday and taking on DOM and some very strong instruction for Will and Ben. And thanks to Fred for bringing his sons out - we're glad you got to shoot a couple rounds of AQTs as well and really appreciated the help with pictures and coaching throughout the weekend.

Pictures are available on our Maryland Appleseed Facebook Page and in this Google Album .

Hope to see you on the line next time!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    A few pictures from the latest AAFG event - congrats to the newest Distinguished Rifleman in Maryland, scoring a 237 with a Tech Sighted 10/22. Huzzah!

61084798_2207565922664492_5742631721568829440_o.jpg

61086350_2207566589331092_3776173081010110464_o.jpg

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Appleseed Clinic - Lexington Park, June 8-9

We have just TWO spots left for our two day Appleseed Clinic this weekend at Sanner's Lake Sportsmans Club in Lexington Park, MD. More info can be found here.

Sanner's is both a centerfire and rimfire event, so it should be a great time with a strong diversity of rifles.

This will be our last event till the 200 yard rimfire event in Sudlersville on June 29. And remember that one of the qualifications for that event is to have attended a prior Appleseed.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    22 motivated Americans came out to Sanners Lake Sportsmans Club to learn about our heritage and sharpen their marksmanship skills. We had an excellent instructor cadre that enabled the making of 11 new Riflemen, 2 distinguished with optics, 2 requals, and 7 shooters earning their MD Front Sight patches for clearing their redcoat! When you consider the success rate at earning Rifleman is about 15% at a given event (and there are no qualifiers at some), this was truly an extraordinary group at a 50+% success rate!

We had a bit of everything on the line and more loaners scraped together than we thought we could generate: too many 10/22s and TCR-22s to count, a couple Marlin 795s and 60s, a Tippman M4-22, three AR15s, and a couple M1 Garands as well.

Thanks to the Pentagon Division Sea Cadets for a safe and highly productive shoot - we saw great persistence and improvement all weekend with some scores increasing more than 100 points! Congrats and thanks as well as to our "civilian" attendees who showed great patience and progress throughout both days despite the rain. Seeing Erin M score a 226 with irons after working through the 160s for most of Sunday was truly awesome!

Congratulations to all the new Maryland Riflemen and a big thanks to Orion59, Cat Gravity, Medieval Engineer, and Powder Monkey for all of your tireless instruction!

Pictures are available on the MD Appleseed Facebook page. I know there are a lot of them!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Waaaaay too many pictures to post with so many rifleman and front sight patch awardees so just a couple pictures of our distinguished qualifiers and Erin, who was a l m o s t there, scoring a 226 with her 10/22 Tech Sights. All of the other pictures are on the Facebook page.

Mr. Mas shot distinguished AND cleared his red coat on the first day. Huzzah!

62350511_2233220956765655_1276706155749441536_n.jpg

Pate shot multiple distinguished scores and was rocking a SOTAR shirt as well! He was only disappointed he didn't do another 250 this weekend.

62444484_2233219090099175_866064650406461440_n.jpg

Erin not only broke through to Rifleman, but came close to distinguished. She tried on the next relay, but it was not to be.

62215483_2233220800099004_7571093917605560320_n.jpg

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    My son was there with the PD Sea Cadets. He didn't score well (Bad Dad, Bad Dad!). The first thing he said when I picked him up on Sunday was "we're going to the range next weekend". :party29::party29: Pretty sure he had a blast even with the crappy weather. He scored Marksman during SC boot camp last summer with a simulated M9. Guess we need to break out the rifles more often.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    The PD Sea Cadets showed tremendous improvement - not only did some score Rifleman but others really moved up the ladder from unqualified to much higher ratings (more than 100 points of improvement in one day). Was also really impressed by their bearing and attention to the history as well - we work with a lot of youth shooters and this group was just fantastic to work with.

I therefore doubt he did as poorly as he thinks. But practicing what he learned is critical. I hope we provided the handout with shot group analysis and other reminders. Remember that safe dry fire practice is cheap and easy as well, although I certainly don't discourage range time.

I talked to a few folks about Appleseed Clinics outside the Sea Cadets in both Maryland and Virginia. We would love to have Dad and Son shoot together at a future Appleseed as well! :party29:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Upcoming Appleseed Clinics in June and July

We are nearly sold out on our June and July clinics, so if you are interested please sign up quickly!

There are 2-3 spots available at our next event, a one-day long-range rimfire clinic at Sudlersville on June 29. You must have attended a prior Appleseed and it will be hard to participate without a 20MOA riser rail or a scope with sufficient MOA range. However, we will have a few loaner rifles available with the right capabilities. Just let us know after you sign-up if you need one.

There is only 1 spot available for our next 1-day 25-yard rimfire-only clinic in Annapolis on July 13.

If we run out of room at those, we have a 1-day rimfire clinic at Annapolis on August 10 that still has plenty of room.

We have 10 events planned between September and December so if you have summer vacations planned you won't miss out by year-end.

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    You must have attended a prior Appleseed and it will be hard to participate without a 20MOA riser rail or a scope with sufficient MOA range.
    For a standard 10/22 can you recommend a riser rail? Or how about the Burris Signature Zee rings with +/- offset? Would that be a more flexible option?

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    For a standard 10/22 can you recommend a riser rail? Or how about the Burris Signature Zee rings with +/- offset? Would that be a more flexible option?

Either one would work - the rings would be better if you plan on moving the scope to multiple rifles with standard rails.

As for a recommended riser, I have had good luck with the EGW 1-piece 10/22 rail with 20MOA of elevation on two different rifles. It is $35-40 on various websites. I also like that it offers extended eye relief over a short, receiver-length mount for prone and seated shooting with a sling.

There other other 10-20 MOA rails as well (Leupold, Tactical Solutions, Nightforce, Warne, Talley, etc.). But the EGW is the lowest cost I have found and is good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom