Credit Card co questions NRA Membership purch.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    In light of all the orchestrated student marches and calls for firearms bans, I upgraded my NRA membership to Life Member. My credit card company (Capitol One) flagged the purchase. Not sure if this is just because NRA or not. But a $600 purchase isn't unusual.

"Our fraud defenses flagged the purchase below as unusual for your VISA SIGNATURE card ending in XXXX. Do you or an authorized user recognize this purchase?"

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Coincidence. They use algorithms that look at you past history and try to decide if the purchase is out of the norm. The amount is only part of it.
    OR
    It's time to ditch my Cap one cards...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It's flagged making sure it's you...not stolen card.... Happened to me once (capital one). They closed the old card and reissued new card within couple days.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I went to Florida a little while ago and put my flight, the rental car, the hotel room and restaurant meals on my credit card - no problem. I tried to buy gas to fill up the car before returning it and it declined my card twice. Later that day, I got a text and email from Chase saying it flagged those two transactions as possible fraud and asked if I made the purchase. Even more hilarious is since I didn't drive very far, this was literally $4 in gas. I had other cards and cash so it wasn't an issue, but yeah the cc company algorithms can be pretty odd.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I went to Florida a little while ago and put my flight, the rental car, the hotel room and restaurant meals on my credit card - no problem. I tried to buy gas to fill up the car before returning it and it declined my card twice. Later that day, I got a text and email from Chase saying it flagged those two transactions as possible fraud and asked if I made the purchase. Even more hilarious is since I didn't drive very far, this was literally $4 in gas. I had other cards and cash so it wasn't an issue, but yeah the cc company algorithms can be pretty odd.
    I don't typically carry cash.. but when I travel out of town.. I have cash with me.

My regular bank did that once.. just going to a Korean grocery store across the bridge (Virginia) transaction was denied.. used another card (cap one) it was fine..

Only saw the flag notice when I got home an hour later..

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Happens. Coincidence. I am not going to say what type of things I've put on my card to get the points, for more than $600, but lets just say Frosh would be Froshed. He would have a multiple Froshgasm. Mine has been flagged at Disney, and in a number of places. Its really annoying to call them from a park or in a loud place to say yes, I just bought some stupid junk I dont really need but which will makes the kids happy.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    When you plan to make these potentially suspicious looking purchases, or travel to a different location, you can call credit card customer service to inform them, and they can temporarily adjust their scrutiny algorithms so you don't get flagged.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can call them , but it doesn't make them listen.

When wife and daughter took road trip to AL , I called the CC company , answer a zillion questions about how long , how much they would spend, etc . But they still got blocked from buying a tank of gas .

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    When you plan to make these potentially suspicious looking purchases, or travel to a different location, you can call credit card customer service to inform them, and they can temporarily adjust their scrutiny algorithms so you don't get flagged.
    My parents went to Europe on an AARP group trip. Prior to departure, mom called her credit card company and gave them dates, locations, etc.

Each day, I knew exactly where they were....almost every time she used her card, the phone would ring " there is a suspect charge in ...... did you....." The best part is since both authorized users were in Europe, no one at home was allowed to validate the purchases. I did inform them that they were notified in advance of the travel, and denying the use of the card would result in the business going else where.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And in turning the supposed logic upside down -

Use Plastic close to home
    Bring Cash to travel

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    And in turning the supposed logic upside down -

Use Plastic close to home
    Bring Cash to travel

I do the opposite, but I inform my Mastercard issuing bank I'm travelling. I usually do this when I go overseas and have never had any problems. Sometimes it's safer to get a little local currency from a bank atm than carry several hundred dollars cash with me.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Cash is king. Doesn't get declined anywhere.

*****I'm big on cash, but the above is not true. My very large local UPS customer pickup point in Gaithersburg, Maryland does not take cash. I've also tried renting a car using cash and was told I needed a credit card - the rental place didn't even have "cash" registers. I agree it's rare to not take cash, but I rarely see people paying for things in cash anymore as it is.

There are other examples out there I'm sure. We are moving to a cashless society very quickly. Easier to track and keep an eye on where you've been, what you're buying, etc..

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    *****I'm big on cash, but the above is not true. My very large local UPS customer pickup point in Gaithersburg, Maryland does not take cash. I've also tried renting a car using cash and was told I needed a credit card - the rental place didn't even have "cash" registers. I agree it's rare to not take cash, but I rarely see people paying for things in cash anymore as it is.

There are other examples out there I'm sure. We are moving to a cashless society very quickly. Easier to track and keep an eye on where you've been, what you're buying, etc..

All fair points. I pay cash for anything I can, even business purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    If you don't commonly use the card, or don't commonly make large purchases, or don't commonly shop online, or any combination of those, it could trigger an alert.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

A lot of cc scams start with a small purchase at gas pumps/stations to see if the card is active.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I used the same PayPal account for my wife's and mine Lifetime Membership. Still wonder how many snowflakes melted when they saw that :lol2:

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I renewed 2 NRA one-year memberships recently using Cap One. Went smoothly with no flags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom