• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    There's a half dozen dudes here I really admire, Schip being one. Suffice to say I'm no wordsmith.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Didn't it get crossfiled as HB1343 earlier? Did the House version make it before the filing deadline or does it hit the same rules hurdle as the late-filed Senate bill? HB1343 made it past First Reading according to the MGA web site..

HB1343 is in House Rules as well. The Rules committees may meet at anytime.

Nothing is over until both gavels hit the desks on Sine Die.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    HB1343 is in House Rules as well. The Rules committees may meet at anytime.

Nothing is over until both gavels hit the desks on Sine Die.

According to Maryland Matters, Mike Miller is up for this. We all know where Frosh stands. That seems like a lot of juice, no?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Also from Maryland Matters

https://www.marylandmatters.org/201...n-permit-board-continues-some-things-to-know/

Persons hostile to the board and its role have argued that that board has overturned the Maryland State Police too often. Yet, as the article ably points out, the vast majority of those decisions were reversals on restrictions on permits that the state police have issued and thus have already found that the applicant has a “good and substantial reason” under Maryland law for carrying a handgun outside the home.

These people include business entrepreneurs carrying cash, security guards, private investigators and federal government employees with top security clearances and who are vulnerable to attack by foreign and domestic terrorists. Even the state police recognize that such individuals qualify for permits.

What is being left unsaid is that the restrictions placed on those permits by the state police are hopelessly vague and thus expose these individuals to a great risk of detention, arrest and incarceration whenever the permit holder has a chance encounter with a law enforcement officer, such as being pulled over for a broken tail light.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Didn't it get crossfiled as HB1343 earlier? Did the House version make it before the filing deadline or does it hit the same rules hurdle as the late-filed Senate bill? HB1343 made it past First Reading according to the MGA web site..

All bills make it past 1st reading, it is how they are assigned to a committee. In the case of SB1000 and HB1343, they were both submitted after the deadline and assigned to the respective rules committees.

But as always, keep an eye on them, because until the bell rings at midnight on Sine Die, any and every bill is in play unless it has been withdrawn by the sponsor.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There are some real gems of quotes in there. I left a comment on the article, I honestly think the average person has no clue what function the board serves.

If the MD GAss members generally don't and the reporter doesn't - why should one expect the general public to know?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    There are some real gems of quotes in there. I left a comment on the article, I honestly think the average person has no clue what function the board serves.

This quote caught me eye:
    “Ninety-plus percent of the time, they’re reversing or modifying,” Feldman said. “…If you’re reversing state police 90-plus percent of the time, you’re operating on your own criteria.”

Easy rebuttal is: given MSPLD won't publish any specific, consistent criteria, the Board had no choice but to develop their own.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    This requirement for the representation was not on the actual letter of appeal (on the white paper) but on the FAQ's on the green paper stapled to the white one. I have it on mine, and that is part of the reason I am not going to pursue it to OAH, no offence to Ed, but I can't afford the extra cost of this nonsense.

Mark

And THERE IS THE HARM! One more and we can have a class action, IMO.

ETA:
    So,..... MSP Troopers are representing the State (not lawyers or an AAG), but the applicant is required to secure counsel?

Sounds as simple as the idea that the HPRB wasn't a small enough hoop to jump through so they're adding more.

As evidenced by people already saying thanks.... but no thanks. I'll be in the same boat, I'm not dicking around hiring a lawyer.

BINGO! I'm sure there are tons more.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    All bills make it past 1st reading, it is how they are assigned to a committee. In the case of SB1000 and HB1343, they were both submitted after the deadline and assigned to the respective rules committees.

But as always, keep an eye on them, because until the bell rings at midnight on Sine Die, any and every bill is in play unless it has been withdrawn by the sponsor.

The house repeal bill was referred to judiciary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom