• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    factory seconds are great for plinkin but i've never done a load test with them or anything other than 300y plinking. they seem to do "good enough for gov work" but my question is...

how have your experiences been? good bad bold ugly? elevator speech time! don't want a book but looking for something more than a simple 2-3 word reply lol.

oh and.. how do you know what "factory seconds" you get? best guess or what?

I bought 500 147gn .308 seconds from Midway and loaded them for my AR10. I inspected them and really couldn't find any defects that would have prevented me from loading or shooting them. I've only shot about 50 of them but they ring steel at 300 yrds no issues. You get whatever they ship. I would (probably will) but them again

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    rgr that. i'm going to work up a load w/ factory seconds for 300 win mag and see how things go. its trigger practice either way!

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I'm a high power shooter, distinguished rifleman, and hold a master certification in NRA long range, mid range, and across the course. Nosler seconds won't hold the black at 600 yards. Random flyers. I quit using them. Saving a few bucks wasn't worth it.

Nosler: a 7 in every box

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Who is marketing ammo factory seconds? I'd like to see the offer first hand.

My take: Factory seconds are *usually* products from the production line that didn't pass quality control inspections, but are still usable for their intended purpose. For instance, BJs has a lot of things I'd consider factory seconds. A loaf of bread with the bag upside down. A jar of peanut butter with the printing on the label too close to one edge, or with misaligned color plates. In short, the products are fine, but the packaging, labeling, or other features not related to the product's end use are imperfect.

I order for me to be comfortable using factory seconds of ammo, I'd want to understand exactly what was wrong with the product. If its packaging, I'm ok. If its blemishes on the casing, I'm ok ( for instance, a lot of the vintage ammo sold from foreign countries is belt fed ammo that has ben de belted, leaving distinctive tarnish patterns on the case) If the imperfection is something related to the function of the ammo, it could be deadly. Over charge, under charge, imperfect bullet weight or geometry, etc. If your cases are separating, that's an indication the imperfections are sustentative, not cosmetic. Perhaps cases that have been reloaded too many times?

Who is marketing ammo factory seconds? I'd like to see the offer first hand.

My take: Factory seconds are *usually* products from the production line that didn't pass quality control inspections, but are still usable for their intended purpose. For instance, BJs has a lot of things I'd consider factory seconds. A loaf of bread with the bag upside down. A jar of peanut butter with the printing on the label too close to one edge, or with misaligned color plates. In short, the products are fine, but the packaging, labeling, or other features not related to the product's end use are imperfect.

I order for me to be comfortable using factory seconds of ammo, I'd want to understand exactly what was wrong with the product. If its packaging, I'm ok. If its blemishes on the casing, I'm ok ( for instance, a lot of the vintage ammo sold from foreign countries is belt fed ammo that has ben de belted, leaving distinctive tarnish patterns on the case) If the imperfection is something related to the function of the ammo, it could be deadly. Over charge, under charge, imperfect bullet weight or geometry, etc. If your cases are separating, that's an indication the imperfections are sustentative, not cosmetic. Perhaps cases that have been reloaded too many times?

The only physical evidence that would lead me to believe they weren't perfect were I found on the bullets I bought were some blemishes and a few had what appeared to be some very minor tool markings, mostly on the base

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    For plinking, sure. For self defense, hunting, or match, why accept for use what a factory said wasn't their best effort? I will not.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    For plinking, sure. For self defense, hunting, or match, why accept for use what a factory said wasn't their best effort? I will not.

Ya I won’t use this for HD, hunting and don’t do matches. Though I guess you could consider it a 100y match... against myself. For load testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The only physical evidence that would lead me to believe they weren't perfect were I found on the bullets I bought were some blemishes and a few had what appeared to be some very minor tool markings, mostly on the base

Oh, so this ammo is not marketed, described or sold as " factory seconds" that's your assessment. Correct?

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD

This. I usually do a quick check of plinking ammo to make sure nothing is blatantly wrong, but everything else gets looked over thoroughly before being magged/chambered.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    At least for Hornady 2nds via Midway, I've onlt had occasional evidence of wet boxes, those bullets packaged in sealed plastic bags inside had 0 problems, a couple I bought years ago wrapped in an open plastic bag or just loose in the box had a couple bullets with a corroded spot. If the price is right, I'll buy them for FMJ and handgun rounds without hesitation. I've heard about some having concentricy defects on OTM bullets, so probably wouldn't use them for a precision match, but no problem for 300BO subs or action shooting.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    I've ordered 123 grain .264" factory seconds from Uncle Larry (Midway) multiple times.

All came shipped in green boxes that looked like Sierra boxes. One box looked like Lapua scenars, rest looked like matchings. Most were tarnished, but I weighed them and were within a couple grains variance. (Regular scenars and matchkings varied by a couple of grains).

For plinking and trigger time, price was right.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I've ordered 123 grain .264" factory seconds from Uncle Larry (Midway) multiple times.

All came shipped in green boxes that looked like Sierra boxes. One box looked like Lapua scenars, rest looked like matchings. Most were tarnished, but I weighed them and were within a couple grains variance. (Regular scenars and matchkings varied by a couple of grains).

Sierra does not sell their factory seconds to other companies, IIRC. If you want to get your hands on Sierra Factory seconds, you have to go to Sedalia, MO and hit the factory store. They are located about 20 miles south of I-70.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

A couple of grains???? Wow.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    I have been reloading Nosler factory 2nds for well over 10 years. I have shot them for target and for punching paper at 200 - 300 yards and they have performed flawlessly. My favorite are the BT's for long range and Nosler Partitions for under 200 yards with devastating results on Whitetails, Sika's, Mullies, antelope and praire dogs out west. When I weigh them they are usually with a 1 1/2 - 2 grain spread.

Most of the 2nds have discoloration of the drawn brass, but everything is fine. I have shot some Sierra and Hornady 2nds and they were fine. When I can save on average 50% of the cost it makes it well worth it.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    Sierra does not sell their factory seconds to other companies, IIRC. If you want to get your hands on Sierra Factory seconds, you have to go to Sedalia, MO and hit the factory store. They are located about 20 miles south of I-70.

My .02 is that Uncle Larry sells them as seconds when they really aren't "seconds", but are old stock or opened boxes that have been handled and get tarnished or broken packaging of larger quantities that get counted out in 100ct.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    factory seconds are great for plinkin but i've never done a load test with them or anything other than 300y plinking. they seem to do "good enough for gov work" but my question is...

how have your experiences been? good bad bold ugly? elevator speech time! don't want a book but looking for something more than a simple 2-3 word reply lol.

oh and.. how do you know what "factory seconds" you get? best guess or what?

Not to hijack another man's thread, but I'm curious to try to work a somewhat different angle. I tend to buy Sierra rifle bullets generally, but their prices have skyrocketed. Others have noticed this too as there was a thread on this topic awhile back.

I presently have some Speer bullets on order. Given their current 20% rebate, they're now in some instances now fully 40% less expensive than their closest Sierra "equivalents".

I have shot Midway USA seconds many times with no complaints, and look forward to seeing them if the price is right. But I am. also hoping to have a better idea about these "first" production Speers before the rebate ends on June 30th. Speer has of course been around for many years, but I've used far less of their products than I have Sierra or Hornady.

I've not known Midway to offer junk as seconds. Time to see what more I can find out about "this other" major bullet manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom