• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have a Weaver Kaspa Series 4x16x44 scope. I had it zeroed at 16 power but changed it to around 9 power and the zero was off.

Are these scopes supposed to hold the zero throughout the power ranges?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I think that I would send that scope back to Weaver, explain the problem and include a couple of sets of targets with two sets of 3 shot groups shot on the same target with the target noted as to which group was shot at what power.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Really dumb question here.

Did you torque and loc tite the screws?
    I inherited a sporterized 1903A3 from my Father. It was very inconsistent. I figured the scope needed changing so when I took it off I discovered that 1 screw in the forward base was loose enough that the base wobbled back and forth. This wasn't apparent to me with the scope attached.

I torqued everything and aplied loc tite to all the screws and problem solved.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    poi should hold throughout a magnification range. yeah check the scope rings and base to make sure nothing is loose. did you put it back to 16x and did it go back to hitting the center?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    None of the scopes I own hold zero when the power is changed a good bit. All are consumer level cheaper ones but still...

I zero them to one power for what I'm doing with that gun and just shoot there.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Without knowing if POI change is slight or significant, or how that rifle is set up, it’s also worth mentioning that shooter’s setup on the stock may possibly be differing significantly when shooting at 9x vs. 16x.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Thanks for the reminder

Really dumb question here.

Did you torque and loc tite the screws?
    I inherited a sporterized 1903A3 from my Father. It was very inconsistent. I figured the scope needed changing so when I took it off I discovered that 1 screw in the forward base was loose enough that the base wobbled back and forth. This wasn't apparent to me with the scope attached.

I torqued everything and aplied loc tite to all the screws and problem solved.

That reminded me to look at one of my scopes that was losing zero. Sure enough, the screws holding the mounting block to the scope were not tightened enough and let the scope move around a bit even though it was tight on the rail.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The screws were tight and the scope was not wobbling. I'll recheck it at 9 and 16 power when I get a chance.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I have a Weaver Kaspa Series 4x16x44 scope. I had it zeroed at 16 power but changed it to around 9 power and the zero was off.

Are these scopes supposed to hold the zero throughout the power ranges?

Good quality scopes will stayed zeroed at all magnifications. Trash the weaver and shell out for a Leupold, Leica, Zeiss, etc

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    This does not surprise me, the Kaspa series is not well regarded in the optics community.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Check your eye relief to manufacturer spec, and ensure you've eliminated the parallax out of the scopes mounting distance. Adjusting the magnification will not adjust zero, but it can introduce parallax that does shift your POI away from your POA.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The scope is crap.

I think the shady guy I bought it from ( a gunsmith in Council Bluffs, Iowa ) sold me a return that was bad or maybe they are all bad.

I may send it back to Weaver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom