• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tymntgmry

Feb 22, 2018
    My dad is planning to give me a handgun. He lives in PA on the MD/PA border. Can he drive the gun to a MD FFL to transfer into my name or does it have to be shipped?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My dad is planning to give me a handgun. He lives in PA on the MD/PA border. Can he drive the gun to a MD FFL to transfer into my name or does it have to be shipped?

Talk to the Maryland FFL first and he should walk you thru the steps needed.

Make sure your father follows the gun transport laws of Pennsylvania and Maryland.
    We assume you are not a prohibited person.
    1. Do you the recipient have a Maryland Handgun Qualification License (HQL)? You will need one which takes some time for background checks, fingerprints, and costs money to get, plenty of other threads about HQL's.
    2. You will have to fill out several forms, part of the process is on a computer.
    3. You will have a seven day wait, "while background checks" are being processed (the same ones as for HQL done again), before you can pick up the gun from the FFL.
    4. There will be some transfer fees.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    You didn't mention the age of said handgun. If it's on the C&R list OR 50 years old, then all YOU need is an FFL03 and an entry in your bound volume... But, it's got to be C&R eligible for that.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Make sure your father follows the gun transport laws of Pennsylvania and Maryland.
    1. Do you the recipient have a Maryland Handgun Qualification License (HQL)? You will need one which takes some time for background checks, fingerprints, and costs money to get, plenty of other threads about HQL's.
    2. You will have to fill out several forms, part of the process is on a computer.
    3. You will have a seven day wait, "while background checks" are being processed (the same ones as for HQL done again), before you can pick up the gun from the FFL.

There have been some threads on this, which I cannot find. For gift between family members, I don't think #3 is true.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

Per his 'Intro' post, he does have a HQL.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There have been some threads on this, which I cannot find. For gift between family members, I don't think #3 is true.

Info on gifts here: No wait for gifts. p21

Here we go ... no wait in this case ... assuming the recipient of the gift isn't a designated collector and it's 30 days since the last 77R submission by the recipient.

Here is a PDF from the MSP licensing portal website that contains the excerpt below ...

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Documents/Licensing Portal - User's Guide.pdf

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ah, I believe that 7day relative gift exemption is only operative if both Md resident.

Meanwhile re: post #11 - No . He does NOT require an 003 . Simply if the gun is C&R eligible , he does not require an HQL . If he did have an HQL , he could drive to Pa , get the eligible gun directly from Dad , and then enter into Bound Book .

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The OP recipient is a MD resident. I think the answer is that the recipient needs an HQL. There is an exemption in the waiting period for a gift from family, not the HQL tho.

Also check to see if he is eligible for HQL exemption. If he's retired military WITH retired ID. Still need transfer to MD FFL with 7 day wait unless C&R

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I was going to say I know someone that regularly gets gifts from his father, I have asked to be adopted several times...

The transfer is done as a gift at the State Police barracks with no hold and can be done with it in his possession, you just have to fill out the form and put in your HQL or HQL exemption. But the rules may have changes so it's best to ask.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The first post specified Dad was Pa resident, son is Md resident, so must go thru FFL, not MSP barracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom