• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Perhaps the time has come for me to pull the trigger (pardon the pun) on a .50 BMG rifle. This may be a purchase later in the year, but I want to start doing some home-work before I drop any cash. Looking for suggestions or recommendations from the brain-trust.

Ideally, I would like to have a Barrett semi-auto version, but thanks to being a prisoner, er, resident of the state of Maryland, my options my be limited on that front. Is there another MD legal semi-auto option?

If no semi-auto choices, I would like a magazine fed bolt action over a single shot bolt or shell carrier gun. I also want to try an keep the overall cost toward the manageable end of the spectrum. If I can bring in the gun and the glass for 6K or under, that would be ideal.

Just now starting to dip my toe in the font of knowledge on this subject, so you aren't going to insult me by telling me something any idiot should already know.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Serbu BFG-50A, semi-auto mag fed. It'll cost you, but not as much as a Barrett M82/M107. Supposedly a touch softer shooting (direct gas operating system), accuracy is supposedly better as well.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I'm in too. I don't know enough about the Barrett 107 to know why it's banned. Assuming that the M82A1 is "correctly" banned, for which I feel it is not, then the 107 would have to be a copy. Is it?

Anyone interested in appealing either to the MSP?

Who stocks Serbus?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Go big or go home. Anzio Ironworks 20mm mag fed. Good up to 5,000 yds.

20mmwith50a-1.jpg

Its little brother on the right is the 50bmg version.

Oh, and it works for deer too.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    http://www.statearms.com/

I have a Big Bertha and love it.
    Larry Lyle is a one man shop and will call you back if you leave a message. He will make your 50 to your specs.

Those are some nice looking guns... doesn't look like he does anything other than single shots though... may still consider one of these as the price is pretty reasonable and the quality looks pretty good.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    Duffy’s has a few of the BFG50A’s in stock I believe. I bought mine there and absolutely love it. Less recoil than my Rem700 in 308 and very accurate. I have shot the Barrett much as well and if I had my chance to do it all over, I would still get the Serbu hands down.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Safety harbor bolt action 5rd. Mag fed 2-2.5 k

That's the one I own. Great value for the money in my opinion. And who wouldn't want a 50 bmg rifle who's name is SHTF50?

Seriously, for the money these are hard to beat. The single actions where you have to almost break down the rifle to just load another round cost just a little less than this mag fed rifle. If you want to safe a few dollars, their single shot operates the same way but without the mag of course. I originally bought it with a regular AR lower but have since bought a SHTF single shot lower. It's a welcomed addition to the rifle in my opinion. I would recommend the Safety Harbor Bipod too. Sturdy doesn't explain how heavy duty it is. Mine came with the carry handle. I took it off and haven't found a reason to use it, but it does make it convenient to carry the rifle if you're so inclined.

The SWFA 20 power scope is a great scope that won't break the bank. 200 yards is easy with the scope. I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it farther than that.

PMC Bronze ammo is what I use. 660gr FMJ-BT. You don't really need any more than that. They hit where you aim and won't break the bank.

You might want to buy a shooting blanket because with this brake, it will kick up a bunch of dirt. If you're shooting it off a bench, then never mind.

For those of you wondering, it kicks about equivalent to a 12 gauge shotgun. Maybe a little more push than shove, but pretty close. Loading up the bi pod is important and can take away a little bit of the jolt too.

I will promise you one thing, after your first shot, you will be hooked for life. You will wonder how you ever lived without a 50bmg in your arsenal.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    I picked up a m2hb parts kit and started to put it together but must admit I still haven't completed it. I really need to get it done. Anybody know of a local outfit that could tackle completing my semi build? Also how about an AR50?

Attachments

• 1390499360423.jpg
      1390499360423.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 615

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom