• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    So 10 rounds of 22lr in a mark3 is super dangerous and outlawed, but 5 rounds of 460sw magnum is "safe" ?

Good to know.

/end sarcasm mode

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    So in NJ it's illegal to even own magazine with over 15 capacity, meaning NJ residents can't obtain high capacity magazines in other states and bring into NJ? How about residents of other states driving by and transporting high capacity magazines?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's not my bailiwick, no. But in general from an argument standpoint, I find it interesting when legislators argue a need for a law enforcement exemption from gun laws that apply to people.

How bad does it suck there for you LEOSA folk?

Care to elaborate? I’m really curious.

I took a little trip to Jersey last week. I literally tried reading everything online about who can carry what, active, off duty and under LEOSA.
    Carrying under LEOSA is somewhat easier. It looks like it is still cloudy as to what active and off duty can carry as far as ammo and how much.
    Officers had to carry fmj when off duty I believe.

At least LEOSA clarifies that under LEOSA, hollow points are ok even if a state "bans" them for carry. However, LEOSA does not exempt from mag limitations.
    I honestly couldn't find a clear answer as far as mag size. I think 15 is ok. I didn't chance it and just carried my G43 with 7 and an extra mag.
    This was the safe, easy decision.

Then there is something like the New Jersey State "retired officer permit carry law?" and I truly cannot get into that. I think it basically says that retired Jersey cops have to carry under the "retired permit", but don't understand how that can preempt federal LEOSA carry for them. If I read correctly, the state says agencies cannot qualify officers under LEOSA. But I could be wrong.

I was just talking to a buddy yesterday because he owns property up in New York. Crazy. The SAFE Act used to limit mag capacity to 7 round magazines. Effectively meaning carrying only 7 rounds. Then there was a court ruling saying magazines can be 10 rounders, but still with only 7 rounds loaded, but "hi cap mags" are ok to use at shooting ranges and competition shoots.

Honestly, the LEO exception(s) in Jersey, is an achilles heel.
    Anything I posted above could either be all correct, all wrong, or a combo of both. LOL

If they would eliminate the exceptions for LEO's and just say 5 rounds and hollow points(or whatever they deem) for everyone, it wouldn't be so confusing.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I doubt they will do 5.

They will do 10. 7 was pretty hard to do in NY and it's basically back to 10 there.

10 is still pretty bad but it's not 5. 5 will outlaw most revolvers.

I don't know why Murphy doesn't just push for a total ban.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Then there is something like the New Jersey State "retired officer permit carry law?" and I truly cannot get into that. I think it basically says that retired Jersey cops have to carry under the "retired permit", but don't understand how that can preempt federal LEOSA carry for them. If I read correctly, the state says agencies cannot qualify officers under LEOSA. But I could be wrong.

NJ always wants to override federal gun laws. They had a hard time with LEOSA when it was first implemented but then backed off.

Officially, NJ retired LEOs can carry under LEOSA. However the state can and does give you a hard time. The RPO permit is state specific.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    I doubt they will do 5.

They will do 10. 7 was pretty hard to do in NY and it's basically back to 10 there.

10 is still pretty bad but it's not 5. 5 will outlaw most revolvers.

I don't know why Murphy doesn't just push for a total ban.

Yes but NY still passed the 7 round law. So will NJ.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I took a little trip to Jersey last week. I literally tried reading everything online about who can carry what, active, off duty and under LEOSA.
    Carrying under LEOSA is somewhat easier. It looks like it is still cloudy as to what active and off duty can carry as far as ammo and how much.
    Officers had to carry fmj when off duty I believe.

At least LEOSA clarifies that under LEOSA, hollow points are ok even if a state "bans" them for carry. However, LEOSA does not exempt from mag limitations.
    I honestly couldn't find a clear answer as far as mag size. I think 15 is ok. I didn't chance it and just carried my G43 with 7 and an extra mag.
    This was the safe, easy decision.

I was just talking to a buddy yesterday because he owns property up in New York. Crazy. The SAFE Act used to limit mag capacity to 7 round magazines. Effectively meaning carrying only 7 rounds. Then there was a court ruling saying magazines can be 10 rounders, but still with only 7 rounds loaded, but "hi cap mags" are ok to use at shooting ranges and competition shoots.

Honestly, the LEO exception(s) in Jersey, is an achilles heel.
    Anything I posted above could either be all correct, all wrong, or a combo of both. LOL

If they would eliminate the exceptions for LEO's and just say 5 rounds and hollow points(or whatever they deem) for everyone, it wouldn't be so confusing.

NJ always wants to override federal gun laws. They had a hard time with LEOSA when it was first implemented but then backed off.

Officially, NJ retired LEOs can carry under LEOSA. However the state can and does give you a hard time. The RPO permit is state specific.

Forwarded son-in-law your post and the following is his reply:

As I understand it, as a retired law-enforcement officer in New Jersey I am allowed to carry concealed in every state with only my retired law-enforcement credentials. In New Jersey however, I must also possess a retired officer permit. They cost $50 per year. That is only for a retired New Jersey officer to carry in New Jersey. Anywhere else in the country I don’t need that permit. Stupid?

Also, we are not permitted to carry hollowpoint ammunition anymore! Apparently there are some other ammunition out there that are just as effective and they fulfill the “no hollow point” requirement. Also stupid?

The 15 round limit is just that. 15 rounds or less are acceptable. Whether or not you can keep one in the pipe is still up for grabs. And by keeping one in the pipe, I was suggesting that you have 15 in the mag and one in the chamber making it 16. I’m not sure of the legality of that but that’s how I roll.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Forwarded son-in-law your post and the following is his reply:

As I understand it, as a retired law-enforcement officer in New Jersey I am allowed to carry concealed in every state with only my retired law-enforcement credentials. In New Jersey however, I must also possess a retired officer permit. They cost $50 per year. That is only for a retired New Jersey officer to carry in New Jersey. Anywhere else in the country I don’t need that permit. Stupid?

Also, we are not permitted to carry hollowpoint ammunition anymore! Apparently there are some other ammunition out there that are just as effective and they fulfill the “no hollow point” requirement. Also stupid?

The 15 round limit is just that. 15 rounds or less are acceptable. Whether or not you can keep one in the pipe is still up for grabs. And by keeping one in the pipe, I was suggesting that you have 15 in the mag and one in the chamber making it 16. I’m not sure of the legality of that but that’s how I roll.
    He is wrong. He is covered under LEOSA. That being said, if he came here to Maryland and would have leo interaction, he will be arrested for carrying without wear and carry.
    States do not recognize retired Jersey cops separately from LEOSA.
    Retired officers MUST have a separated leo ID card with a pistol qualification not older than 12 months. Retired badge and credentials are only for nostalgia.
    He needs a card that resembles this...
    38204edf10798567275de54d8df1ab2b.jpg

But even cops in Jersey after so fcking confused. He can carry hollow points.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Christie actually vetoed that last attempt they made to lower it to 10 I think. Now they have the candidate they want that will rape the 2nd amendment as they communists see fit.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    He is wrong. He is covered under LEOSA. That being said, if he came here to Maryland and would have leo interaction, he will be arrested for carrying without wear and carry.
    States do not recognize retired Jersey cops separately from LEOSA.
    Retired officers MUST have a separated leo ID card with a pistol qualification not older than 12 months. Retired badge and credentials are only for nostalgia.
    He needs a card that resembles this...
    38204edf10798567275de54d8df1ab2b.jpg

But even cops in Jersey after so fcking confused. He can carry hollow points.

Believe you missed his point, of course he yearly qual with his handgun to stay current with LEOSA. In Jersey besides his LEOSA permit, he also must have a retired officer permit.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks blaster, good info. It sucks everyone has such a hard time trying to decipher the BS laws passed with regard to this stuff. Who knew it would be so hard to follow the law?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Believe you missed his point, of course he yearly qual with his handgun to stay current with LEOSA. In Jersey besides his LEOSA permit, he also must have a retired officer permit.
    Which is so fcking stupid. It's so confusing for me to try and explain. But he can carry hollow points in Jersey under LEOSA. I'd love to see the vernacular on his "LEOSA" card/permit. But honestly, his jersey retired leo card means squat.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks blaster, good info. It sucks everyone has such a hard time trying to decipher the BS laws passed with regard to this stuff. Who knew it would be so hard to follow the law?
    It's the worst to try and follow. And honestly, except for the LEOSA law, I really don't know squat except for my own interpretation from piece meal from the Internet.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    nationwide constitutional carry as long as not a felon. no round count limits. if you commit a felony using a firearm, you go to and stay in jail (of course the same should be true even without using a firearm). is this really that hard to understand? bad guys just don't follow all these asinine and complex rules.

of course, all these laws are promulgated by the same folks that shut down the govt, send people home, and yet still pay them.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Which is so fcking stupid. It's so confusing for me to try and explain. But he can carry hollow points in Jersey under LEOSA. I'd love to see the vernacular on his "LEOSA" card/permit. But honestly, his jersey retired leo card means squat.

It should also be noted that, as civilians, retired officers cannot legally carry hollow-point ammunition or utilize high-capacity ammunition magazines (capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition) in the handgun they are carrying.

The retired law enforcement officer permit to carry a handgun law was enacted to help make our streets and communities safer. To this end, it is of critical importance that all retired officers govern their use of deadly force with the same professionalism and good judgment demanded during their law-enforcement careers.

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/rpo-history.shtml

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That's fine and all. The Jersey nostalgia. But LEOSA is the Supreme law of the cop carry of the land.

No ammo type restriction.
    Ammo amount dictated by States counts.
    No carry on federal parks even if local carry allowed federal park carry.
    Signs on businesses need to be adhered to.

But, if local law says no carry into bars or alcohol serving restaurants, LEOSA is exempt.

fuzzynutkila

Feb 21, 2012
    I never thought I would say this but I am so glad I live in Maryland! Is a SCAR on that list? I love the"anything that significantly resembles the above mentioned firearms! That's pretty subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom