Attachments

• 5CBF618F-9AB8-40A5-B46A-FAE99434F445.jpg
      5CBF618F-9AB8-40A5-B46A-FAE99434F445.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 226

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    My Mom owns 3 acres that is just legal to hunt on because of distance from another house.I pulled up and Mom met me on the porch to tell me 3 deer were already in the field.I have to go through the field to get to my stand.I could have easily shot one,but I want to hunt deer ,not just shoot them.I had no choice but to just spook them,which I did.

They ran towards the back to another property.I was sure I wouldnt be seeing them again this eve.My stand is just inside the woods overlooking a bottom.It is really thick in there,especially this time of year.

Since deer could be anywhere near or far,I really have to sneak to and into my stand.Sometimes they see me first...sometimes I see them first.I made it to the ladder to my stand and before I climbed up I heard a stick snap.There was a doe feeding about 40 yrds away in some thick stuff.I watched her and every time she moved ,I would peer through my scope to see if there was an opening in the brush to shoot through.After about 15 minutes of this,she was broadside and it was clear enough to slip a bullet thru and since I had a solid rest,I took the shot.She fell backwards ,kicked a little and it was over.

Sometimes it comes too easy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Did you cut yourself?

Yup. Deep.

I wasn’t being careful with my knife when I went to switch my tag from the bucks antlers to his ear.

Oh, I also got this big 5-point. 15 minutes before sunset. Couldn’t have been 50yds from where i shit my first deer, an 8-point, 4 years ago almost to the day.

Finger will heal (hey, at least I am already on antibiotics because I am getting over strep throat).

A VERY happy ending to a rather frustrating day otherwise.

More on the deer story later. Because I like over sharing and I heard someone say they were entertained.

Attachments

• 884E6ADE-09E9-4845-B187-E646DC8699B6.jpg
      884E6ADE-09E9-4845-B187-E646DC8699B6.jpg
      165.2 KB · Views: 218
    • 744BC1DB-3364-44D4-9A04-0C0A87749C4C.jpg
      744BC1DB-3364-44D4-9A04-0C0A87749C4C.jpg
      133.6 KB · Views: 219
    • 8A67243B-0206-4525-97E2-A50DBA3DFD96.jpeg
      8A67243B-0206-4525-97E2-A50DBA3DFD96.jpeg
      12.3 KB · Views: 218

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Had 2 bucks come out around 6 tonite. A 6 pt came out first then a 9 pt. Biggest one I've taken. Edit could someone please flip the bottom pic. T Y.

Attachments

• 20181018_183213.jpg
      20181018_183213.jpg
      85.4 KB · Views: 209
    • 20181018_183232.jpg
      20181018_183232.jpg
      99 KB · Views: 207

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mine I was sitting down and I am not sure if I saw slight movement, heard a slight noise or just intuition (don’t remember), but I got to a knee and saw it climbing the hill I was on at the same elevation about 50-60yds away. I had to get to a crouched position to get a shot because of intervening brush. I thought the shot was okay, jumped and kicked and then took off like a bat out of hell. I spent almost 45 minutes searching and couldn’t find it. Kept running up against private property, impenetrable brush or both. There was a lot of fairly open ground, which was bizarre to me that I couldn’t find it. It did sound like it ran far.

Just as I was about to give up, I checked one last place. Saw a small mound of rocks at a distance. Opps, deer, not rocks!!!

It had run about 100yds before dropping. Didn’t leave a drop of blood I could find. Turned it over and an entrance wound with no exit was why. Bullet went in busted a rib, tore open the front of one lung, tore apart the upper two lines of its heart, busted the opposite rib and lodged under the hide of the opposite side. I am still surprised it ran so far with a big hole through one lung and half a heart (probably 100yds or so).

Maybe time to look at 265gr FTX or 300gr XTP 44 mags instead of 240gr maybe. Though it was still decent penetration as it wasn’t exactly a small deer (a big 5-point).

Blood to track would have been real nice though.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Yep one following the other by about 10yds. Came out of the woods making a beeline into the cornfield, I expected a stop and look but they were both high-steppin it. The corn in that corner is kinda sparse and its a good thing cuz he was in there and steady moving. He jumped and kicked then ran off through the corn about 30yds and lay down or fell down on his knees but only for a few seconds. Then he headed back for the woods but stumbling, as soon as he made it out of the corn he nosedived and started plowing a bit. He stayed that way for maybe 10 seconds before getting up and into an opening in the woodline. He barely made it 5 yds in before falling for good. I got him with my Savage 10ml II, it was a 250 gr hornady sabot over 42?? grains of IMR SR4759. Mine bled like a stuck hog, even if I hadn't seen where he went in the woods it would've been an easy trail to follow

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I think the rut is starting.

The past few nights, I've been hearing the deer "mehr-ing", and the full moon will be in a few days

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Yesterday I saw a small buck in the AM and 7 does. Walking back to my truck, I jumped a decent buck (guessing an 8) from a thicket, and watched him run full bore for a few seconds then out of sight. Last night saw 9 does and two that I couldn’t tell what they were right at dark. Went to go this morning and had a flat tire on the truck. Just got done with having it patched, I’ll get out this evening.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    My year is normally deer in January. Then switch to squirrel season. Next is house work just before turkey season. End of May-June is fishing. Then crop damage for July through early Aug. Back to fishing some more just before archery season begins.

I got a crop dmg permit but it was too darn hot to not end up w/ wasted meat in july-aug. Any tips to share? We have a gambral there on site, though i must say.. only done it 4-5 times ourselves. Is it just "more practice"?

How do you keep them from spoiling? Use water?? no water??

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I was filling out the crop damage permit using a 220gr 300 win mag to shoot any distance in my fields but.. with the crops too tall atm (waiting harvest) i'm limited to blind/stand hunting. So i pulled out a 35 Remington w/ iron sites, Marlin 336.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Spent almost nine hours afield in Carroll county today. Saw dozens until 35 minutes before sunrise. After that only a tiny (barely) 4 pt buck. Didn’t seem worth the 777 and cost to process; but damn was I frustrated by the time I rolled.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hunted Hugg Thomas WMA today, saw 4 small Doe's. Didn't really have a shot through the thick brush...maybe next time

How bad was it to get a reservation? I tried a few years ago and I got a busy tone for half an hour calling every minute or two and then they were booked by the time I got through.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    How bad was it to get a reservation? I tried a few years ago and I got a busy tone for half an hour calling every minute or two and then they were booked by the time I got through.

Got lucky this year, only got busy signals for 5 minutes before getting through. I think it's just one person taking all the calls, that's why it's so tough .

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I got a nice 8 point right at 6pm. He ran far enough that I was worried I had missed.

My headlamp sucked, so I started walking to the truck for better light and stumbled right over him. He ran straight for the truck, lol.

Attachments

• 1019181841.jpg
      1019181841.jpg
      30.8 KB · Views: 215

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Thats doing it right. I need to train the ones here to run towards the house, not the deepest ravine on the property

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom