• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    S&W Model 65 Lady Smith

TITLE SHOULD READ: S&W MODEL 65 LADY SMITH

I’ve posted in the past about shooting with Arthritis.
    Gave up on my Colt 1911 due to working the slide and magazines. Just a bit much for my old hands.

I settled on what I found to be the perfect gun for me in an S&W Model 65-5 with 3” heavy barrel.

I may go for an S&W 65 Lady Smith just because I would like another 357.

Been traveling around looking and handling other revolvers. As much as I like the S&W 686 3” barrel, it’s just a little to bulky to get a good grip on without some pain in my hands.

If I decide to go with the 686, what would be the best grip to go with for my arthritic hands?

Although the weight alone, nearly 3 pounds might be the factoring deterrent for not going with the L frame.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am not going to talk you out of 357 model 686, I just got one. The model 19 and performance center 686 come with another set of rubber grips. They are sweet. The ladysmith 65 is sweet too.

But yeah these are all of 3 lbs loaded.

That said.... have you considered 38spl, it will be lighter. With modern bullet and powders, 38spl +p is more than adequate for self defense. Some loads (Buffalo Bore) rival .40sw (from a 4" barrel). I would be cautious about loading an older model 10 with too much Buffalo Bore +p, but a new revolver will handle it fine.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I am not going to talk you out of 357 model 686, I just got one. The model 19 and performance center 686 come with another set of rubber grips. They are sweet. The ladysmith 65 is sweet too.

But yeah these are all of 3 lbs loaded.

That said.... have you considered 38spl, it will be lighter. With modern bullet and powders, 38spl +p is more than adequate for self defense. Some loads (Buffalo Bore) rival .40sw (from a 4" barrel). I would be cautious about loading an older model 10 with too much Buffalo Bore +p, but a new revolver will handle it fine.

I have considered a .38 but, I like having the versatility of the 357, whether I use it or not.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I dont see anything on the Hogue website that appears to me less bulky for a 686

Honestly I have to stop staring at pictures of the 65-5 before I buy one. :lol2: It is a pretty sexy revolver.

Do you like the 65-5 grips? If you like those grips maybe that's the answer.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I dont see anything on the Hogue website that appears to me less bulky for a 686

Honestly I have to stop staring at pictures of the 65-5 before I buy one. :lol2: It is a pretty sexy revolver.

Do you like the 65-5 grips? If you like those grips maybe that's the answer.

I have both pairs.
    The wood are good for .38’s
    The Hogue are better with +P’s

I haven’t shot any magnums yet.

Attachments

• EFBC11CD-8566-4133-BBB7-A133E989F454.jpeg
      EFBC11CD-8566-4133-BBB7-A133E989F454.jpeg
      15 KB · Views: 349
    • F24CD676-5CE7-41CC-84D7-F9C9E05CCE64.jpg
      F24CD676-5CE7-41CC-84D7-F9C9E05CCE64.jpg
      81.1 KB · Views: 348

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    If the 686 3" is too bulky for you, another good choice is the Model 66 Combat Magnum, https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-66-combat-magnum.

BTW, are you looking for a carry revolver? The 65-5 is aimed at carry.

My 65-5 is a great carry gun, although I can’t carry it in Maryland.
    I am just looking for another model 357 and I was thinking about a 686 if I can find a slimmer set of grips for it, so as not to be so bulky.

Last edited:

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Was out over the weekend and visited a few gun shops.
    I’ve decided that, as much as I’d like a 686, it’s just to heavy and bulky for my arthritic hands.

So for now I will just be content with my model 65. I really don’t need another revolver anyway.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Ok, I might “pull the trigger” and spring for an S&W 686.
    But, which one?

686-2 - $600 plus FFL fee
    686-6 - $500 OTD

681-? - $650 plus FFL fee
    (Negotiable)

Decisions decisions decisions

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sorry, missed this thread the first time around .

All the discussion about " bulky " is misleading . As I'm interpreting the OP's situation , his issues are with Weight generally , and Balance specifically . In these regards, L frames suck . As much as I like revolvers seemingly fitting the same general description , 3inch L frames just feel totally wrong to me .

Actually a 4in M28 is lighter, and much better balanced . Yeah, yeah , but the N frame grip frame itself is larger , but either Magnas with a grip adapter, or "boot grips " on an N feel surprisingly good for average sized hands .

Or if you can squint about the .357 chamber part , I am continuing my lust affair with 2in RB K frames . Or have you tried a 2.5in M19/ 66 ? Or a 2.75 Speed/ Security Six ?

But of the three specific guns listed above , I would prefer the 681 . Simply because the fixed sight L frames were a lot less common , and I don't have one .

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Ok, I might “pull the trigger” and spring for an S&W 686.
    But, which one?

686-2 - $600 plus FFL fee
    686-6 - $500 OTD

681-? - $650 plus FFL fee
    (Negotiable)

Decisions decisions decisions

Not really sure what the difference between the -2 and -6 is but the price is certainly quite a spread.
    The 681 is the fixed sight model not sure why that one is so much more??

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Not really sure what the difference between the -2 and -6 is but the price is certainly quite a spread.
    The 681 is the fixed sight model not sure why that one is so much more??

The 686 from no dash to -5 are pre lock models.
    The dash 6 was the first model with the internal lock.

The model 681 from what I have seen commands a slightly higher premium due to less being made.

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The 686 from no dash to -5 are pre lock models.
    The dash 6 was the first model with the internal lock.

The model 681 from what I have seen commands a slightly higher premium due to less being made.

If "I" had to make the choice, "I" would go for the pre-lock model, EVERY day of the week.

The beauty of the 686 series is the K-Frame grip size.

I have both a model 19-4 and a 66.
    The 19-4 is a 4", the 66 is a 2-1/2".

Both have Pachmayr stocks on 'em, and really take the 'sting' out of .357s.
    (One set of factory stocks - Goncalo Alves on the mdl 19-4, is like holding onto a cheese grater, with .357s. The smooth Rosewood stocks that came on the pistol disappeared several years ago. Don't know if they grew legs and walked out of my loading room, or not.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom