• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anyone have any helpful info on the USPSA matches there? I'm shooting Sunday for the first time there. (First time at TMGN for a match; I've shot a bunch of USPSA and IDPA elsewhere.)
    They started the matches again? They stopped them back in the fall for a while

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I was there the other weekend looking for a G17 mag. They didn't' have one in stock(as most want the 15 rounders, I get it) but suggested I try another gun shop(Gun Center). I told them I try to avoid that shop at all cost...so they will nice enough to suggest that I could build the gun and the would "lend" me a mag if I rented a lane for an hour. Super nice people every time I've been in there.

emaier3

Jul 24, 2019
    Frederick
    My family has been a member at TMGN for over 2 years. The staff is super nice and helpful. They have always treated my wife, kids and myself with courtesy and kindness. They always bend over backwards to help someone out and will give people pointers whenever asked but will also leave you alone if all you want to to is shoot by yourself. Also, the staff usually gets real excited if someone brings in a cool old firearm. I can't say enough good things about them.

The best time to go is Member's Only hours from 9-12 on Sunday or during the work week.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you're not a member, their prices have gone up. It's now $25/hour and approx $1/target if you don't bring your own. Heritage in Frederick includes targets with the $25/hour lane rental, but is open to nonmembers only for part of the week.

I enjoy shooting at both places, but there are (small) tradeoffs (e.g. Heritage forcing shooters to wear Heritage supplied goggles over glasses, Heritage only permitting one, uncased firearm on the bench at one time, TMGN having limited multi-target targets to purchase, TMGN having a less substantial target holder, etc).

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    If you're not a member, their prices have gone up. It's now $25/hour and approx $1/target if you don't bring your own. Heritage in Frederick includes targets with the $25/hour lane rental, but is open to nonmembers only for part of the week.

I enjoy shooting at both places, but there are (small) tradeoffs (e.g. Heritage forcing shooters to wear Heritage supplied goggles over glasses, Heritage only permitting one, uncased firearm on the bench at one time, TMGN having limited multi-target targets to purchase, TMGN having a less substantial target holder, etc).

It has been a little over a year since I went to TMGN. It's just not my cup of tea but, I'm glad there's a place in Frederick where complete imbeciles can come in and rent AR-10's and mag dump them at targets 5 yards away. God forbid that market be neglected. I mean, where else can 20 year-old Mt Dew-crazed video gamers, who've been playing COD all day, go to experience the real thing while screaming, "Wahoooooooo!" at the top of their lungs while an RSO sits 6 feet behind them looking bored and obsessing over their iPhone? I think it's awesome that TMGN is there to service those customers who otherwise would never have the chance to burn-off all that excess sugar and caffeine.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Tell us how you really feel Z :) .

LOL Well, wait until you gotta deal with that one jackass, Mikey(?) who'll get all pissed-off when you tell him for the third or fourth time that you're not interested in buying a membership. That was enjoyable, too. :lol2:

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    LOL Well, wait until you gotta deal with that one jackass, Mikey(?) who'll get all pissed-off when you tell him for the third or fourth time that you're not interested in buying a membership. That was enjoyable, too. :lol2:

I'm not refuting your experience, but I have never experienced that. I have seen "questionably" skilled individuals shoot there, but have also observed the RSO watching them closely. I appreciate the fact that the RSOs leave me in peace to shoot there. As to the RSO being too far away from the shooter... a month or so ago I went to the Eagle Group range in Virginia, their RSOs sit in a separate room/behind glass - that range also allowed rapid fire as well as holster draw and rifle/pistol transition. So to each his own. As to pushy membership - I would not want someone pushing membership on me either and that would have annoyed the %#@&! out of me.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

Amazing that we get a nice local indoor range and you have to try to run it down. With friends like you......just what the gun community needs.

And yes, I’ve been there a LOT. It’s like 12 minutes from where I live.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Amazing that we get a nice local indoor range and you have to try to run it down. With friends like you......just what the gun community needs.

And yes, I’ve been there a LOT. It’s like 12 minutes from where I live.

If poorly illuminated, poorly ventilated indoor ranges where nimrods mag dump shit with little/no supervision is your idea of a good time then hey, by all means, go to TMGN. No problem. Furthermore, if some jerk callling you an "idiot" to your face because you won't buy a membership to their range is your idea of great customer service and being 'friendly' to the gun community, go for it.

Oh yeah, I'm such a detriment to the gun community because I think TMGN sucks. LOL :rolleyes:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm not refuting your experience, but I have never experienced that. I have seen "questionably" skilled individuals shoot there, but have also observed the RSO watching them closely. I appreciate the fact that the RSOs leave me in peace to shoot there. As to the RSO being too far away from the shooter... a month or so ago I went to the Eagle Group range in Virginia, their RSOs sit in a separate room/behind glass - that range also allowed rapid fire as well as holster draw and rifle/pistol transition. So to each his own. As to pushy membership - I would not want someone pushing membership on me either and that would have annoyed the %#@&! out of me.

There are three indoor ranges I enjoy: Heritage, NRA and ESS in Manassas. Never tried Eagle Group and don't know anyone who shoots there regularly.

I swore that after Mikey(?) called me an "idiot" for not buying a membership at TMGN, I'd never go back. Tried to explain to the twerp that I travel 40+ weeks per year for my job and that I would never reap all the benefits from membership but, it fell upon deaf ears when he figured-out I wasn't buying what he was selling.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I have a membership at TMGN, and will probably let it expire. It's much nicer than On Target, and for the most part the clientele is nicer than OT or MSAR, but there are still groups of folks using Groupons who tend to lower the overall IQ from time to time. Even those folks have been pleasant enough to be around, just not particularly firearm savvy. The RSO on duty always kept what I thought was a conscientious eye on them, and I never felt unsafe.

Last time I was there, the RSO came up to me after I had finished shooting a particular target, and pointed to my feet. He picket up one of my suppressed 300BO subsonics that had bounced back from backstop and stopped right under the bench. It wasn't deformed, so it didn't get redirected off of anything hard. Not scary, but interesting. He kept the bullet.

I always had great service and relationships with the employees there, but it's too darn far to drive to shoot for an hour or two.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There are three indoor ranges I enjoy: Heritage, NRA and ESS in Manassas. Never tried Eagle Group and don't know anyone who shoots there regularly.
    I went to SEG a month or so ago just because it was so much closer. It is surprisingly similar to ESS on the inside. No complaints. However, that 100yd range at ESS is pretty handy when you want to zero in easily (no wind, and they've got a good camera setup). Also like that ESS will let you rock and roll with buckshot.

That said, I don't find TMGN that bad, and have enjoyed myself the few times I've shot there. I have high tolerance for people doing mag dumps, so long as they're safe about it.

Wish someone would build a 100yd indoor range in the 270-70-95 triangle corridor area, but that's probably too much to ask.

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    If poorly illuminated, poorly ventilated indoor ranges where nimrods mag dump shit with little/no supervision is your idea of a good time then hey, by all means, go to TMGN. No problem. Furthermore, if some jerk callling you an "idiot" to your face because you won't buy a membership to their range is your idea of great customer service and being 'friendly' to the gun community, go for it.

Oh yeah, I'm such a detriment to the gun community because I think TMGN sucks. LOL :rolleyes:

TMGN is actually run really well. The RSO's keep everything safe from what I've seen. Its actually kind of cool they rent machine guns. I've never bothered renting them but its nice to have the option.

You must like those fud ranges were you can only fire one round every 3 seconds. Just go to them then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom