• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I want to get into skeet and trap, and I'm also trying to learn the lay of the land. Are there any ranges with active skeet/trap shooters? Something with regular shoots or practice?

Back in NY it was always a bit tricky to find places that actually did it regularly and where you could just walk into it, no pressure.

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    Loch Raven Trap and Skeet Center and Prince George’s County Trap and Skeet offer regular hours and available to the public

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    PG county trap and skeet center. Idk where you’re located but that’s where I go. They have skeet, trap, sporting clays, and wobble. Also have reasonably priced lessons.

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I'm currently in Columbia. I'll be moving to Hanover or Laurel in a few months I think.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    PG sounds like the best choice for you, they have a good run facility.

Yup. From Columbia and especially moving to Laurel that is where I’d go. That said, Carroll County Gun Club In eldersburg is probably a similar distance, depending on where you are in Columbia. Open to the public Wednesday 4-9 and Sunday 1-4 IIRC. A buck a round cheaper than PGC, and it’s more of a club. Even with being open to the public. You get a friendlier atmosphere and easy to find people to shoot the shit with, ask for pointers, etc. some very talented members.

PGC I like, but you are more likely to get “just leave me alone” attitude from most people (not hostile, just standoffish), or get the guys who have been doing it 30 years who get ticked when you go slow or are chatting, etc. great for shooting with some friends, but I have run in to more “annoying old timers” there than at CCGC.

That said, I’ve also had ad hoc lessons from old timers at PGC on skeet before where the guy was teaching a few people a lesson and basically waved me and my friends over and told us to join in. He shot a 24/25 with a .410. I think the best of our group of casual trap and sporting clay shooters shot a 12/25 (I typically shoot 17-18/25 trap and rang up a 8/25 that first time with skeet).

Anyway, different things to recommend each, but PGC sounds like probably your better bet (CCGC is also trap only).

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Im up here in Harford right by the Mason Dixon line so 90 percent of my weekend warrior clay shooting is in Pennsylvania.

I've only been to PG once but my crew would rather just cross the bridge to Pintail Point or drop down from Cecil County to head to Hopkins when we travel south.

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    I shoot skeet at PG every week. Just show up on the weekends there will be plenty of people to shoot with. Introduce yourself and just let them know you're new at it. The regulars all have their groups, if you wait for an invitation it might never come. But in reality most people really don't mind helping a newbie out. If you see a squad with less than 5 ppl just ask to jump on, they won't say no. Everybody was a newbie once, and the sport badly needs new people to take it up.

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    Just to clarify, I don't mind joining a club or two. I'm just looking for a place thats not dead when it comes to skeet/trap.

Thanks for all the replies

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom