• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'd like to get one because I think they are a neat and tiddy workable firearm.

If you were set on competition, hunting, LE/MIL work, or were going to buy only one rifle the AR is clearly the better platform dollar for dollar.

If the Mini's were in the 450-500 range they'd be much more attractive to me at least.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    No, seriously, which Mini-14 are we talking about? You mean the one that has to have a metal bar strapped to the barrel to give it 1-Minute-of-Barnyard?

No, I'm not strapping anything to my mini. It'll never be a tackdriver. But it's fun to shoot. Totally.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Mini 14 is the first gun that I've ever used grease on. It was very interesting and I think it was palpable with the felt difference of the action; as opposed to a regular gun lubricant.

It is interesting to step away from an AR platform for once, and try something different. My AR was a reluctant purchase right before Obama took the Presidency. I've had my fill of shooting AR's... but thought I'd never own one if I did not purchase it then.

Grease??

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    No, I'm not strapping anything to my mini. It'll never be a tackdriver. But it's fun to shoot. Totally.

And you can hit what your aiming at. Which is the whole point of shooting anything.

I saw those barrel stabilizers Rack was talking about. I would imagine that they were initially designed for the earlier serial numbered Mini's (pre 580 serial numbers), the post 580 serial numbered ones have tapered barrels which are supposedly to help with those barrel harmonics.

At any rate, these were my shot groups after I zero'ed mine in recently @ 50 yards. I'm satisfied with it. Next time it won't be so cold out and maybe they'll tighten up a bit...

majvpz.jpg

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

Yep. Plain old SuperTech Multi-Tech High Performance automotive grease. Applied sparingly to all of the wear points (except the gas plug, and center of the bottom heat shield).

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    The mini 14 is a good looking fun gun...

However IF you are an accurate shooter, don't get one...

IT WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS...

IF your are satisfied with a rifle that groups 4.5" at 100 yards get a Mini 14...

In my experience the Mini 14 functions well BUT has a terrible trigger...

IF you want a rifle that groups & is fully customize-able as well get an AR, an HBAR with a 20" barrel...

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    Have a AR and love it. Had a mini 14 and sold it, sights were terrible. But that could just be me.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Have a AR and love it. Had a mini 14 and sold it, sights were terrible. But that could just be me.

The rear sight is not the best, for sure. I opted to scope mine using the proprietary Ruger Rings that came with it. My eyes are not as keen as they were when I was a young whippersnapper.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've usually used plain wheel bearing grease to lube my Garands. Also have some Lubriplate, which is a standard grease/lube for Garands and other pieces of manly machinery.

Google "Garand Grease Points" for information on ... Garand grease points.

Old saying, "If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it."

As for the 80's calling, they can call me anytime. I'd go back like a shot.

But damn, that A Team was a stupid show!

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I've usually used plain wheel bearing grease to lube my Garands. Also have some Lubriplate, which is a standard grease/lube for Garands and other pieces of manly machinery.

Google "Garand Grease Points" for information on ... Garand grease points.

Old saying, "If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it."

As for the 80's calling, they can call me anytime. I'd go back like a shot.

But damn, that A Team was a stupid show!
    I use mobil 1 red grease. Yes I loved the 80's.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Chop the barrel down to 10"-11" , no more barrel whip and groups tighten up significantly .

Attachments

• IMG_20171226_131029630.jpg
      IMG_20171226_131029630.jpg
      41.1 KB · Views: 406
    • download.jpg
      download.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 419

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    In my opinion, an AR is more cost-effective and more accurate than a Mini 14. However, a Mini 14 has these things in it's favor:

1. It's very cool.
    2. It's Fun to shoot.
    3. It's less likely to get banned compared to the AR 15 which is sort of a lightning rod right now.

I may get a Mini 14 one day.

I would not recommend the Mini 30 based on what folks on this board have said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom