• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Hey guys, getting into waterfowl hunting with a buddy of mine and am going on a trip this month. I'm planning on using my Remington 870 for this one but will be hunting waterfowl pretty regularly.

Looking for suggestions and experience on semi auto guns such as:

Stoger M3500
    Winchester SX4
    Remington Versa Max
    Beretta A350

Any other suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks guys.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I have a couple of cheap O/U 12 ga shotguns made somewhere. Cheap wood cheap bluing but man do they shoot (or maybe I do). I don't worry about dings, mud, water or snow. I wipe them off oil them down as long as they work nice. They have killed a lot of geese over the years. At around $350 for one and $275 for the other. I got two for the price of one of the high priced guns plus drinking money. Chris

PS: For an auto loader go with the Stoger again a fair priced gun

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I have a couple of cheap O/U 12 ga shotguns made somewhere. Cheap wood cheap bluing but man do they shoot (or maybe I do). I don't worry about dings, mud, water or snow. I wipe them off oil them down as long as they work nice. They have killed a lot of geese over the years. At around $350 for one and $275 for the other. I got two for the price of one of the high priced guns plus drinking money. Chris

PS: For an auto loader go with the Stoger again a fair priced gun

I can get it around $600 from my LGS. Not bad.

Stoeger made by Benelli.......decent stuff.

Yeah i read that. Got pretty solid reviews too. Thanks for coming Saturday, it was a good time.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Have the Stoeger and so far has been flawless for me. Buddies all hunt with SBE's or other high $$ and whack as many birds as them. Broke in on some heavier loads and will cycle light target stuff. Heard they have a lower service life on ejectors but have not had any issues after 4 seasons.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Have the Stoeger and so far has been flawless for me. Buddies all hunt with SBE's or other high $$ and whack as many birds as them. Broke in on some heavier loads and will cycle light target stuff. Heard they have a lower service life on ejectors but have not had any issues after 4 seasons.

I'm leaning toward the Stoeger or Beretta.

I picked up a Beretta 300 in August. I've taken it out trap shooting, pheasant, duck and goose hunting so far. I love it!

The Beretta felt very well balanced.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Hey guys, getting into waterfowl hunting with a buddy of mine and am going on a trip this month. I'm planning on using my Remington 870 for this one but will be hunting waterfowl pretty regularly.

Looking for suggestions and experience on semi auto guns such as:

Stoger M3500
    Winchester SX4
    Remington Versa Max
    Beretta A350

Any other suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks guys.

I'd go with any of those but the Stoger. Its a good CHEAP starter but will not last like the other 3. Of the other 3 you have listed will last a lifetime vs the stoger that depending on your shooting habits you'll get about 4-5,000 rounds and it turns into a paper weight. The SX4 or Beretta is where I would look to first. Weatherby makes a nice auto loader too.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    skip restaurants and bars for a month and get the benelli super black eagle 2. mine doesn't cycle the really light stuff (because it's sprung for 3.5" loads) but anything heavier, it works 100%.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I own the Versa Max Sportsman ($730 ish right now at BPS) and like it a bunch. Will handle all shell loads without any physical adjustments necessary - really cool port system in the chamber operates depending on shell length covering proper # of ports. Got a good deal when Gander Mtn sold out, just under $700 w/tax. I really like the Beretta though, IMHO it’s a far better shooter, and that model can be had for equivalent cost. I’d have bought the Beretta except for the fact that the safety button is ahead of the trigger, which to a 37 year Remington shotgun shooter is too hard to get used to (for a hunting gun). For trap, sporting clays, etc... the speed of the safety deployment isn’t an issue and therefore Betetta will be my next shotgun, for those shooting disciplines anyway. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the ones not named “Stoeger”, not a slam against them I just have no point of reference for that one so I won’t speak about it.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    skip restaurants and bars for a month and get the benelli super black eagle 2. mine doesn't cycle the really light stuff (because it's sprung for 3.5" loads) but anything heavier, it works 100%.

The benellis are way out of budget. I don't eat out and don't drink at bars. So that would do me no good.

I own the Versa Max Sportsman ($730 ish right now at BPS) and like it a bunch. Will handle all shell loads without any physical adjustments necessary - really cool port system in the chamber operates depending on shell length covering proper # of ports. Got a good deal when Gander Mtn sold out, just under $700 w/tax. I really like the Beretta though, IMHO it’s a far better shooter, and that model can be had for equivalent cost. I’d have bought the Beretta except for the fact that the safety button is ahead of the trigger, which to a 37 year Remington shotgun shooter is too hard to get used to (for a hunting gun). For trap, sporting clays, etc... the speed of the safety deployment isn’t an issue and therefore Betetta will be my next shotgun, for those shooting disciplines anyway. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the ones not named “Stoeger”, not a slam against them I just have no point of reference for that one so I won’t speak about it.

I love my 870s i have, so I'm leaning toward the Versa Max or Beretta if i don't buy the Stoeger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom