• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Hey I just picked up a Winchester 1911sl 12 gauge, with a modified choke, a few weeks ago. I haven’t gotten a chance to shoot it yet, but everything seems to function just fine. I won’t use it much, but I have wanted one for a long time. It was Winchester’s Attempt at their 1st semi auto shotgun. They turned down the browning A5 design, and came up with this design. Since Browning owned most of the patents, it’s a odd gun. It’s cocked by pushing the barrel back, as browning had the patent for the cocking leaver, found on all semi autos today. Look up this shotguns history, it’s pretty neat. It was nicknamed the widow maker, as people would set the butt on the ground and push the barrel down to unload it. Doing this put their body/head right over the muzzle. If those old paper shells were to swell from water, it could expand and fire, not ending well for the user.

I thought it was a cool piece of history and had to have one.

Attachments

• 81B7C7F9-9C56-4C15-9D4C-034EB52EEA1F.jpg
      81B7C7F9-9C56-4C15-9D4C-034EB52EEA1F.jpg
      36.2 KB · Views: 531

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    It's not just the paper shells that will slam-fire in that upon loading or ejecting. Be extra careful with them. People still get killed by them even as recently as 2005. Cool piece. I've been looking to add one to my collection for a bit now.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Yes, you are correct. I wouldn’t try to unload it that way, no matter what the shell was made of.

Like I said more of a novelty for me. I think they are a neat piece of history. For some reason, the WINCHESTER collectors don’t have much interest in them. That keeps them cheap, at least, for now.

aps410

Dec 10, 2015
    Howard County
    I have one of these too, the big thing to watch out for is cracking in the handguard. Apparently these guns will beat themselves to death over time. My 1911sl has a completely split handguard I glued back together, so it will always be a neat display piece.

There is also supposed to be some fibrous buffers to help with recoil. I don't recommend trying to see if yours have them, as full takedown of the is quite difficult. Congrats on the find though, looks to be in very good condition.

aps410

Dec 10, 2015
    Howard County
    Interesting - I love the old Browning A5 but had never heard of the Winchester 1911sl. Body/head over the muzzle - never a good thing!

Yup, they don't call it "Widowmaker" for nothing. Google "Widowmaker shotgun" and the first result is a wikipedia page for the winchester 1911 shotgun lol.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    My father has a shotgun that operates like this but I'm pretty sure it's not a Winchester. Stevens maybe? Always reminded me of an artillery piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom