• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Hi guys, was out this morning firing my new to me CZ52. Fired about 40 rounds no problem. Halfway through my last mag, the slide hangs up a bit. I go to rack the slide and it won't budge. Looks like the slide is about 1/8th to 1/4 inch back. I can pull it back about another 1/4 inch and it won't give anymore.

Here's the rub... I'm pretty sure the us a live round partially chambered, so I can't get too creative with my work around. The safety engages and is on but I won't trust it to prevent something bad from happening. I can pull down the take down pins on either side of the trigger, but since the slide isn't locked completely forward I can't pull the slide off to disassemble.

My first reaction for something like this is to take it to the Smith, but I'm hesitant to even transport it in this condition.

I was shooting Red Army steel cases... I know, but it's all I had and I wanted to test it out.

Primary goal right now is to make it safe... I'll worry about diagnosing and fixing later. Advice is welcome.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have only worked on one of those, but it sounds like it may be hanging up at the point the slide lifts from the frame.

Check this video. The guy is long winded and discusses a lot about the gun's evolution, so skip to around 11 minutes in to see him remove the slide. The safety needs to be almost all the way on and the hammer should be back while pressing the take down button. It can be a little tricky the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPDAOEv0Kcg

With a live round in the chamber, you may want to do this outdoors and pointing the gun in a safe direction.

My thoughts are that you may be able to get the slide back into the normal position and then eject the round safely before disassembly.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I have only worked on one of those, but it sounds like it may be hanging up at the point the slide lifts from the frame.

Check this video. The guy is long winded and discusses a lot about the gun's evolution, so skip to around 11 minutes in to see him remove the slide. The safety needs to be almost all the way on and the hammer should be back while pressing the take down button. It can be a little tricky the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPDAOEv0Kcg

With a live round in the chamber, you may want to do this outdoors and pointing the gun in a safe direction.

My thoughts are that you may be able to get the slide back into the normal position and then eject the round safely before disassembly.

Thanks. Will give this a try when the rain stops!

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Update. It is officially un-stuck at this point. It looks like it was exclusively an ammo issue. After 40 or so rounds the barrel must have heated up enough to interact with the lacquer that they put on the steel cases, and bound it up good. There was in fact a live round in it, so I'm glad I proceeded with caution.

I've never been a fan of steel case ammo, but this has definitely put me off of it for good.

The good news is there appears to be nothing wrong with the gun, and everything is back in working order. Thanks for the insights.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Glad you got it out safely.

You should be able to shoot steel cased without problems. You may want to make sure the chamber is totally clean and give it a light polishing.

I have had some 9mm steel cased with unusually thick case rims which caused extraction problems in one of my pistols. You may find a different brand yields better results.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'm planning on giving it a complete cleaning and a bit of a chamber polish. This was its first time out and I may have let my giddiness to shoot it overtake a complete cleaning before I took it out. I usually give a preowned C&R a good going over pre range because you just never know how they were treated and stored, but this one only got a half hearted once over and some lube. Live and learn.

Anyway, I found some brass Privi Tok food at a reasonable price, so that'll be my preference. This is only my second gun in that caliber so I didn't have a lot of it on hand.

I've only got one gun that actually performs better with steel cases, and that is my Star B 9mm... every thing else seems to do better with brass. Just my observations. Will see how this one runs with different ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom