• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zman9398

Jan 15, 2017
    Hey everyone. So I have been wanting to buy a CZ 455 Varmint for a while to hunt squirrel on my neighbors land and it has been a toss up because of noise and all the things that come along with firing a real firearm. Now I'm dead set on either the Umarex Gauntlet or the Benjamin Marauder. I love the fact that the Benjamin is tried and true and I'd definitely get it in .25 so I have the option to take down a coyote with a well placed shot, but I do like the fact that you get 60 shots from the Umarex in .22. I also like the fact that the Umarex takes a 13ci paintball tank. I know that the Umarex hasn't been released yet, but can someone tell me why I should spend the extra 100 dollars (cabelas has the .25 mrod for 419) on the mrod?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I was really set on an M'rod also a while back. However, decided the PCP thing wasn't for me. Prefer the break barrels for simplicity myself.

That said, I would go with the much more proven M'rod.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I have a Marauder pistol in .22 (which also came with a shoulder stock), and it's very quiet (backyard friendly), and powerful enough to make head shots on medium critters. Pretty accurate, too. I'd imagine the rifle in .25 might be a bit louder, more accurate at distance and more lethal, and it should be a good choice for critter eradication.

I also have a Gamo Whisper break barrel in .22 which is powerful and accurate enough for critters, but a bit too loud for backyard use.

The biggest downside to a PCP is the tank. I got the smallest tank from Pyramid Air and it will top off the Marauder about 10-12 times. For pest control that's probably fine, but I shoot in my basement and wish I'd gotten a bigger tank.

P.S. I also have a CZ 452 American .22 with a Silencerco can, and it's even quieter and more accurate. Too bad it's not legal to use in my yard. That thing is lethal out past 100 yards with subsonics and the can.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    The fact that there's tons of online info available as to servicing or modifying the m-rod when and if the need arises.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I'm going to bump this...

I've basically settled on .25 cal for battling backyard House (English) Sparrows, Starlings, and maybe even a few veggies / tree munching critters. Most of my engagement distances are 15-100 yards (probably 50-60 consistently).

I have read that FX makes the best barrels on the market? So I was wondering if any MDS folks (I trust your opinions) have experience with the FX Streamline and if it is worth the extra costs comparatively to an Mrod.

http://www.fxairguns.com/rifle/the-streamline/

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I'm going to bump this...

I've basically settled on .25 cal for battling backyard House (English) Sparrows, Starlings, and maybe even a few veggies / tree munching critters. Most of my engagement distances are 15-100 yards (probably 50-60 consistently).

I have read that FX makes the best barrels on the market? So I was wondering if any MDS folks (I trust your opinions) have experience with the FX Streamline and if it is worth the extra costs comparatively to an Mrod.

http://www.fxairguns.com/rifle/the-streamline/

I have no doubt that FX does make good barrels, but I have no experience with them.

I have owned guns with barrels from Crosman, LW, CZ, BSA, TJ and china.

Every barrel I have owned I have been able to get respectable accuracy from at 50yd. Some needed some polishing but accuracy was still attainable. I really haven't had much opportunity yet to shoot beyond that.
    I did shoot my guns with the TJ's and the CZ barrels and each was able to shoot just about 1 MOA at 100yds.

My personal favorite is the BSA. If you are looking at the .25 Mrod it comes with a Green Mountain barrel and I have heard very little in the way of complaints with them.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I have read that FX makes the best barrels on the market?

Funny you should ask this an yesterday I replied how I liked the BSA barrels.

Well here is a post from a guy (who I don't know) who has 2 FX guns.
    One has the ST (smooth twist) Fx barrel and the other he put a BSA barrel on.

Guess which shoots better.....

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/pcp-3/

8JqPFP0h.jpg

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Funny you should ask this an yesterday I replied how I liked the BSA barrels.

Well here is a post from a guy (who I don't know) who has 2 FX guns.
    One has the ST (smooth twist) Fx barrel and the other he put a BSA barrel on.

Guess which shoots better.....

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/pcp-3/

8JqPFP0h.jpg

Oh boy...thanks for another rabbit hole.

Yeash. Just like powder fed guns... :sad20:

One very apparent/ragged hole @ 24 yards is impressive. The ability to engage a 4-5" sparrow at 60 yards and know he's going to "poof" is the ultimate goal. Obviously, minimizing fliers is key.

Trying to justify the costs to the spousal unit...well, that will be the "hard" sell.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Hey everyone. So I have been wanting to buy a CZ 455 Varmint for a while to hunt squirrel on my neighbors land and it has been a toss up because of noise and all the things that come along with firing a real firearm. Now I'm dead set on either the Umarex Gauntlet or the Benjamin Marauder. I love the fact that the Benjamin is tried and true and I'd definitely get it in .25 so I have the option to take down a coyote with a well placed shot, but I do like the fact that you get 60 shots from the Umarex in .22. I also like the fact that the Umarex takes a 13ci paintball tank. I know that the Umarex hasn't been released yet, but can someone tell me why I should spend the extra 100 dollars (cabelas has the .25 mrod for 419) on the mrod?

I think you can make the MRod look so much nicer then the Gauntlet.

A little sanding, stain and TruOil.......

Attachments

• stock2.jpg
      stock2.jpg
      94.1 KB · Views: 8,169
    • stock.jpg
      stock.jpg
      95.6 KB · Views: 7,785

Pop Van

Dec 4, 2016
    I bought my Syn Mrod II for $295.00 on Amazon this past spring. Gauntlet is a great bang for your buck and regulated. You can’t lose with either.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I have a 25 Mrod with the Green Mountain barrel. It shoots one hole at 25 yards. Very accurate and quiet. I like mine a lot.
    V

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom