Gauging Interests----A Maryland Shooters Sprint Run Forum Knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you purchase a MD Shooters Limited Edition knife? (see post for knife details)

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 40 25.0%
    • Yes, conditionally (please specify)

Votes: 41 25.6%
    • Probably—but still undecided

Votes: 39 24.4%
    • Maybe—undecided

Votes: 19 11.9%
    • No

Votes: 21 13.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm curious for the purpose of gauging interests...while of course such an action would require the people of this forum to OK it, and discussions with local dealers, a maker, and possibly an outside engraver/metal worker would have to occur, I am asking more in a hypothetical sense to see if there is an interest.

So, hypothetically, if a Maryland Shooters knife was made and the specifications were in the ballpark of this...
    -Good maker like Spyderco or Benchmade etc. and a knife of respectable capability to both look great in a display case and perform heavy utility work
    -Blade length between 3-3.5 inches (possibly two models in one family in which one is 3-ish and the other 3.5-ish)
    -Unique finish such as an unusual handle color and laser or hard engraving with name and possibly logo
    -A higher-end stainless steel like VG-10 or 154CM
    -A price somewhere between $65-$90
    -A lead time of about 4-5 months (and say a commitment of a partial downpayment of around 20%)

Would you be interested in purchasing a knife from this sprint run?

(the attached image file shows [top-to-bottom] the Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Benchmade (full-sized) Griptilian, Spyderco Delica, and Chris Reeve Sebenza for size-comparison purposes...the Spyderco Delica/Endura and Benchmade Grip/Mini-Grip are strong performers, can be customized substantially, and are reasonably priced.)

(the image of markups to show possibilities for the engraving)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(These Pictures from Post #71 to show lanyard possibilities...not all pictures or text from that post is shown here)
    In response to a few notes on lanyards, here is an 'updated' design of a more complex pattern than the first. This lanyard is a classic 'box' pattern. It can easily be a circle pattern of roughly the same size with the same amount of cord. This larger boxed lanyard is now using a tri-color stitch with red being the primary color, and gold and silver being the secondaries, with a black cord that would attach the lanyard to the knife. This style lanyard is hugely popular due to its durability, attractiveness, and it's ability to seriously help you locate the knife if it fell into grass/water. This style lanyard also gives a substantial increase in terms of grip support/retention by giving the hand more rearward and lateral grip. Generally, the addition of a 'skull bead' accompanies this lanyard type. Do you like it? (we can always slim them down, or go for 4 colors).

Lanyard1_zps3eda8a88.jpg

Lanyard3_zps00b73324.jpg

-----------------
    With the above said, there are well over 30 popular lanyard styles used for knives. For knives I actually carry, I personally prefer a shorter/slimmer lanyard and usually keep my knife in a inner-pocket clip sheath and the lanyard makes it much easier to retrieve. The below pictures show some of the more popular lanyards/lanyard knots. I can tie most of the more popular styles. Here is a small minority of my lanyards to show how customizable lanyards make a knife!!!

ManyLanyards1_zps42f103e4.jpg

ManyLanyards3_zpsed908659.jpg

----------------
    image of some common lanyard styles and colors, for reference

Attachments

• 2013-11-07 21.36.35.jpg
      2013-11-07 21.36.35.jpg
      96.6 KB · Views: 1,368
    Last edited:

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I would be interested if it looked like the second knife from the top in the pic. I would also be interested depending upon how the Shooters logo will be added.

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    I'm in, especially if it is a BM grip. Would be cool to see the full size griptilian with the hole versus the thumb stud. Just tell me where to pay.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'd go for a Benchmade with axis lock.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I understand that Benchmade is a fine quality knife, but why not get something diffrent, guranteed to be USA made through and through and have it be a real collectable?

http://www.queencutlery.com/Q-TAC_Handmade_Tatical.html

http://www.queencutlery.com/SXM_Gentlemen_s_Stag.html

http://tidioutecutlery.net/

I have had several of the vintage queen steel, and Kbar knives and they are higher quality and are very collectable. The Tidioute Cutlerly is a storied name in knife making like Union Razor company. I'm a native to this area and why i know so much about these companies and i always have great pride in knowing that good AMERICAN craftsmen made the knives that i have strapped to my side while hunting.

just my 2 cents i can take photos of my newer Kbar and old Queen steel if someone PM's me to ask. so if they are Benchmade or Gerber, i'm out if it's something truly handmade and crafted i'm in.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I'm curious for the purpose of gauging interests...while of course such an action would require the people of this forum to OK it, and discussions with local dealers, a maker, and possibly an outside engraver/metal worker would have to occur, I am asking more in a hypothetical sense to see if there is an interest.

So, hypothetically, if a Maryland Shooters knife was made and the specifications were in the ballpark of this...
    -Good maker like Spyderco or Benchmade etc. and a knife of respectable capability to both look great in a display case and perform heavy utility work
    -Blade length between 3-3.5 inches (possibly two models in one family in which one is 3-ish and the other 3.5-ish)
    -Unique finish such as an unusual handle color and laser or hard engraving with name and possibly logo
    -A higher-end stainless steel like VG-10 or 154CM
    -A price somewhere between $65-$90
    -A lead time of about 4-5 months (and say a commitment of a partial downpayment of around 20%)

Would you be interested in purchasing a knife from this sprint run?

(the attached image file shows [top-to-bottom] the Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Benchmade (full-sized) Griptilian, Spyderco Delica, and Chris Reeve Sebenza for size-comparison purposes...the Spyderco Delica/Endura and Benchmade Grip/Mini-Grip are strong performers, can be customized substantially, and are reasonably priced.)

What about something more affordable/made in the usa like this kershaw skyline:

skyline_1760_1__760x298__760x298.jpg

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Yup.

Not folders, but blind horse knives out of Ohio makes plenty of special run knives for folks. One that comes to mind are the friends of the NRA knives they make for many chapters.

Just throwing out the idea, interested either way.

If you want to explore BHK, I'm happy to make the introduction. They have made several custom knives for me.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A factory direct sprint run would be ideal instead of a group buy from a shop of a production model that a 3rd party engraves. I would set the target cost at $100, maybe more depending on features like a better base model, or better steel like M4 or XHP.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Like I really need more knives!!!

I'd be in for up to $100. Prefer to keep it at USA Made.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I voted no, but I am actually a probably not. I am not really a knife guy. My EDC is a cheap Winchester from Walmart. I may buy one if they are cool looking enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom