• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dock-Hunter

Dec 8, 2012
    Hey all,

I am in the market for my first handgun. I have already completed the online training (which seemed a might silly?) so I now have the certification paper. I live up in Kent County...

I am trying to decide which direction to go in. I have been hunting and shooting for 15 years, but all long guns. I have very little practical experience with hand guns (shot a few but not many).

I am leaning towards a new handgun, just because I have no basis on what makes a "good" used handgun. I would like to get the gun without busting the bank on a first purchase.

Does anybody have any suggestions on new affordable and reliable handguns?

Any advice on what to look for with a used pistol?

I am primarily looking for a gun for target and pleasure shooting...

As you can probably tell, I'm very new to the world of pistols and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    What's your budget?

Glocks, Smith and Wesson MP's, some older Sigs are pretty reliable and good reliable.

Dont under estimate a good revolver as well. Plenty of relatively cheap .38 spl's out there. Smith and Wesson for instance.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hi, I'm originally from Worton ... my grandmother probably served you lunch at school ...

I recommend a used 9mm FEG "Luger M-80" or Kareen copy of a Browning High Power. Cole's on Gunbroker usually has them for less than $300 (actually ranging from $225 to $500-$600, your choice) and I've never heard of anyone being disappointed in buying one of these.

9mm is a good caliber for just about everything in handguns ... and other than rimfire ... probably the least expensive ammo

Dock-Hunter

Dec 8, 2012
    I'm hoping to keep my budget to around 500 (in the upper area of it).

Thanks for the advice, I have thought about the revolvers as well!

I have looked at gunbroker and am still a little nervous about buying a gun online...

I will keep my out for these type guns when I get a chance to run to a few shops.

Is there any advantage in prices in the smaller shops vs a place like Basspro?

thanks again!

Danketch71

Mar 28, 2009
    THe city that bleeds
    Something cheap and fun to shoot to start with. I personally dont like .22 pistols, but they are cheap and fun for a lot to shoot and buy ammo for. Used Browning Buckmarks, etc.

If you get a centerfire gun, look at a wheelgun in .357mag. You can shoot .38specials all day long in it, and when you are ready, step up to .357. Only issue with that is the cylinder gets mo dirty shooting the shorter .38s. But if you clean your gun every time you shoot, shouldnt be a prob.

Or just a Glock 9mm used or new. Those things go bang every time and parts and ammo are relatively cheap and easy.

After you get something, you will decide for yourself what style/type you like, or even if you like shooting handguns.

Either way, I wouldn't get something too oddball, stick to standard cartridges, and major manufacturers.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    What is your intended use?

Personally I'm a fan of the 1911 in .45acp. It's very accurate and it recoils smoothly and softly for the large caliber that it is. It's a design that been around for 100 years and is still the gold standard of large bore semi-autos. Also to me it's a natural pointer, although it may not be for others. The downside is .45acp ammo is more expensive than 9mm. Also limited mag capacity being single stack.

The other route would be a high capacity 9mm such as a Glock 17, Sig P226, Beretta M9, etc... There are literally dozens of solid choices in this category, so it'll require some shopping. 9mm ammo is cheaper and most double stack 9's have 15+ round mags standard.

Figure out what general characteristics you want, what role it's going to fill, and a budget; then go around to some local shops and get hands on with as many options as possible. Definitely stay with local shops, in particular check out the industry partners on this site.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Hey all,

I am primarily looking for a gun for target and pleasure shooting...

If you really don't expect to use it for defense of self or home, then I have two words for you...

Buck Mark.

If you want to defend your home, I'll let others fight it out... but just remember 9mm isn't going to bring anyone down with one shot, you better have 15 shots in the mag minimum. 45 ACP on the other hand doesn't require a gun at all, you can just throw the bullets and people die. And as far as reliability goes, GLOCKS can't hold a candle to a 1911, which in turn can't hold a candle to a revolver. And then there is accuracy...

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    First handgun?

Think learning curve (boy do handguns have the market cornered on that). Mastering the fundementals, while similar to rifle in some aspects, really requires lots of regular practice.

Get thyself to a range and try some rentals out.

I've been recommending SIGS to my family for several reasons, great reliability and accuracy, simplicity of design, recoil absorbing heft, and most importantly really good 22 caliber conversion kits. They come in a multitude of calibers. Sig's CPO (certified pre owned) program is nice.

If you don't want to own two different pistols then the 22 conversion kit is really a must (unless you have a serious ammo budget or the capability for large scale reloading).

I highly recommend a local shop. 9 out of 10 will come darn close to meeting your internet price (once you factor in shipping and transfer fees). You then have someone local who can show you the in and outs of your purchase and answer questions that might come up after purchase.

Dock-Hunter

Dec 8, 2012
    Thanks for the advice!

I do like the look of the 1911s but is it possible to get one for around $500?

I have definitely considered the revolvers, I have a friend who really enjoys his .357. Do revolvers run cheaper then the semi's?

I honestly I had not thought to much about home defense, as I have some other guns doing that duty, but I will definitely keep that in mind when looking around...

A lot of things to consider now!

Dock-Hunter

Dec 8, 2012
    First handgun?

I've been recommending SIGS to my family for several reasons, great reliability and accuracy, simplicity of design, recoil absorbing heft, and most importantly really good 22 caliber conversion kits. They come in a multitude of calibers. Sig's CPO (certified pre owned) program is nice.

I had no idea that there was such a thing as a conversion kit for pistols... you aren't kidding about a learning curve! CPO program sounds awesome.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Thanks for the advice!

I do like the look of the 1911s but is it possible to get one for around $500?

I have definitely considered the revolvers, I have a friend who really enjoys his .357. Do revolvers run cheaper then the semi's?

I honestly I had not thought to much about home defense, as I have some other guns doing that duty, but I will definitely keep that in mind when looking around...

A lot of things to consider now!

For a budget 1911, look at Rock Island Armory. The make a basic GI model and a tactical model, both of which can be had under $500. Also you may find a used Springfield, Kimber, or Taurus in that price range.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For targets and pleasure you can't beat a 22. There are tons of options and putting 500rnds downrange costs less than $20. Once you are a master pistolero then go for the big boys. 44mag for deer hunting. 45 for bad guys and anything else. I have quite a few handgun options but my 22's see more rounds on a weekend then all my others put together in several years.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Building a relationship with a local dealer is a good idea. By purchasing from a local dealer, you can get the advice and support you need as a perspective new owner.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Best advice, go to a gun range and rent a few different guns, there are different style of guns, and you will learn what you like.

Size - I personally like Compact guns, my favorite gun, that fits my hand well is an HK USP Compact.

Functions - Hammer, Hammerless, Manual Safety, Double Action Only, Single/Double Actions, etc, etc.

So personally I like guns with a hammer, external safety, compact in size.

Then you get into calibers. I love to shoot .45ACP, but 9mm is also a fun caliber to shoot as well. There is also the cost factor of ammo. 100 rounds of .45 is about $30, and 100 rounds of 9mm is about $20.

Then the other factor is use. And I'm not about to start a pissing war, but for "stopping power" many will say that .45 is the best, some will say .40 is the best, and some will say 9mm is inadequate. I'll reserve judgement, I own both a .45 and a 9mm.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Best advice, go to a gun range and rent a few different guns, there are different style of guns, and you will learn what you like.

Size - I personally like Compact guns, my favorite gun, that fits my hand well is an HK USP Compact.

Functions - Hammer, Hammerless, Manual Safety, Double Action Only, Single/Double Actions, etc, etc.

So personally I like guns with a hammer, external safety, compact in size.

Then you get into calibers. I love to shoot .45ACP, but 9mm is also a fun caliber to shoot as well. There is also the cost factor of ammo. 100 rounds of .45 is about $30, and 100 rounds of 9mm is about $20.

Then the other factor is use. And I'm not about to start a pissing war, but for "stopping power" many will say that .45 is the best, some will say .40 is the best, and some will say 9mm is inadequate. I'll reserve judgement, I own both a .45 and a 9mm.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    How about a pistol that can take a .22 conversion?

Or, how about a Sig SP2022 9mm?

I recommend using one of the site's industry partners. You'll save $50 in transfer fees by not buying from Bud's or Grabagun.

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Honestly, if you haven't shot handguns much, I strongly recommend you start with a .22 target pistol. You'll make plenty of mistakes on your first few outings, and often people who are new to handguns develop even more bad habits with a higher caliber gun (flinching-related habits). Those who suggest something like a Browning Buckmark are steering you in the right direction. Browning also makes a .22 caliber 1911, and there are of course the Ruger series of .22 auto pistols, and the Ruger SP101 in .22 or S&W 617 if you prefer a revolver.

It really is best to make all your mistakes and get your proper form down with very cheap ammo that has no recoil. You'll find your transition into higher calibers is a lot smoother that way, and you'll spend a lot less on practice ammo that frustrates you when you inevitably don't shoot too well your first few times out. Just my advice.

If you decide you don't want to start with a .22 after all, I recommend 9mm or .38 Special if you go revolver. As far as centerfire handguns go, those are the cheaper ones to practice with and are still very effective for SD. Good luck in your search for a new gun.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Its a long drive for this guy to deal with any of the IP's even MidCounty is probably an hour away.

You can get a Rock Island 1911 for under $500 ... don't let snobs tell you it won't shoot, it comes with a lifetime warranty. Their gun's warranty isn't half that and the bullets will find the target just fine.

Regarding Gunbroker ... yeah, you can get screwed on Gunbroker just like eBay. A reputable seller is the thing to look for. Here's a thread on the Browning HP section of the 1911 forum http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=388883

Good cheap .45 ammo will run you $35 for 100, 9mm will run you $20 for 100, .22 $4 for 100 ... you can put a .22 conversion on that Rock and have both

Dock-Hunter

Dec 8, 2012
    Thanks guys!

A lot of great ideas and I think i have the right direction now.

Last question for the evening I think... can you pick up a conversion kit at a gun shop? Or is this an item I'd have to get ordered?

Thanks!

Dock-Hunter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom