Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices

Old November 22nd, 2017, 12:04 AM #1

AR15 for hunting deer?

Not looking to purchase right now. I just need some information to pass along for a future bday gift. My family and I would like to get my dad an upper for his preban lower suitable for hunting. We will be hunting in the mountains of West Virginia so I would really like a lighter profile barrel if possible. WV requires a caliber of .25 or greater. What calibers would be compatable with his 5.56 lower and would you recommend for taking white tail at 150yds max? Who makes a quality upper in recommended calibers? Would 16" or 18" barrels be ok for recommended calibers? I think we are spending just under $1 per round for our 30-06 hunting ammo. I'd like to keep the cost of ammo close to that. Reloading won't be happening so I guess a widely accepted and available caliber would be wisest. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Matt, the gunslinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 12:46 AM #2

6.8SPC II, 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39 will all work at that range.

Out to 300 yards, the 6.8 and 6.5 are about identical in speed and energy and the ammo costs about the same. The 6.8 does not gain any real advantage with barrel lengths greater than 16" while the Grendel does. If you want inexpensive ammo, then 7.62x39 is the ticket with a 150yd max (ethical, IMHO) range.
balttigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 01:00 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by balttigger View Post
6.8SPC II, 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39 will all work at that range.

Out to 300 yards, the 6.8 and 6.5 are about identical in speed and energy and the ammo costs about the same. The 6.8 does not gain any real advantage with barrel lengths greater than 16" while the Grendel does. If you want inexpensive ammo, then 7.62x39 is the ticket with a 150yd max (ethical, IMHO) range.
To point out, if looking at ammo cost, Wolf makes 6.5 Grendel steel cased ammo at $5 a box. Which puts it on par (roughly) with steel cased 7.62x39. Grendel is about the same energy as 7.62x39, but it’s ballistic coefficient is WAY higher, so it shoots WAY flatter. Hunting and match ammo for 6.5 Grendel runs roughly $1 a round. 16” Barrel is fine for 6.5 Grendel. Longer is better, but short is fine.

I just ordered the last of my parts to build an 18” 6.5 Grendel upper for deer hunting.

PS, point of order, no, 6.8SPC starts out with slightly higher energy than 6.5 Grendel, but you are shooting a 110gr lower BC bullet at about 100-150fps higher velocities compared to 120-123gr much higher BC bullets. Close in, 6.8SPC is better, but they break even in energy at about 150yds where the Grendel pulls away and by 300yds the Grendel also has less drop. Less drift much closer in that than for Grendel.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 01:25 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Close in, 6.8SPC is better, but they break even in energy at about 150yds where the Grendel pulls away and by 300yds the Grendel also has less drop. Less drift much closer in that than for Grendel.
Right. But the ballistic difference is not really all that different; especially considering the OP was talking 150yd max. Either one is more than up to the task of taking a whitetail.
balttigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 01:30 AM #5

For 150 yard or under shots, I would go with the 7.62 X 39, most ammo is cheaper and easy to find, except for good Deer hunting loads are harder to find and cost more. I think that 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC are better, but harder to find, but are a better choice if you reload.
ted76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 01:46 AM #6

Despite my lengthy postings in another thread extolling the many virtues of Grendels , the Parameters set forth here , make all that moot .

As I read the OP , WV woods hunting for deer, max 150yd , and typical under 100yd. Emphasis on common ammo availability, and price sorta within ballpark of .30-06 .

All the cals listed below will meet criteria for performance, leaving ammo availability & cost the variable.

1. 7.62x39
2&3 6.8SPC & 6.5 Grendel ( Neither is as common as 7.62x39. When I look , I see slightly more 6.8 , but a marketing move by one major ammo mfg could change things within a month if they decided .)

4. .300 Blackout/ Whisper supersonic . ( Essentially similar to performance of 7.62x39 , but with most users loading their own , not many hunting ammo on dlr shelves.)

Wildcard factor.- I know you specified up to 150yds. BUT if you wanted to add 300yd plus capability , with no downsides for close to average distance , then 6.5Grendel.

( For all my recent advocacy of Grendel , what I own currently is a 7.62x39 upper, for similar purpose as OP describes, albeit the mtns of Va , near WV border.)
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 02:08 AM #7
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Get a 300BLK for him. I am running Hornady Black 110gr VMax ammo in it and am sub-MOA with it. You can get a 20 round box of the ammo I use for hunting at Academy for about $17 a box of 20.

The only real difference between a 556 and a 300BLK is the barrel and muzzle device. Other than that, it is a 556 BCG, charging handle, upper, gas system, handguard, and the complete lower is a standard 556 lower. You also go 1 for 1 on standard 556 mags. 30 round 556 mag will hold 30 rounds of 300BLK.

If you would like a parts list for a 300BLK upper, I'd be happy to send it to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:17 AM #8
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

300 Blackout.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/37...uct-three-link

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:00 AM #9

WV allows any centerfire rifle cartridge. .223 is perfectly legal.

The .25 caliber requirement is clearly stated that it's for rimfire cartridges only.
gwchem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:11 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwchem View Post
WV allows any centerfire rifle cartridge. .223 is perfectly legal.

The .25 caliber requirement is clearly stated that it's for rimfire cartridges only.
True this ^^^.
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles