• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oneqwickr6

Feb 8, 2013
    Picked up my first 2 suppressors today yhm sidewinder 9mm and 22 stinger well they shoot great except for I went to put the sidewinder on my 9mm at SBR and it bottoms out before it tightens all the way down there's like a 1/4 inch of threads showing. Is this ok or do I need a spacer before I can fire it. Just so u know the piston on the suppressor has a stop on the end so it's not threaded into the baffels but there's still threads showing when it's tight what should I do or is it ok to shoot like it is

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Who did your thread job?

Good question. Also, was it threaded 1/2 x 36 instead of 1/2 x 28. 1/2 x 36 is pretty normal for 9mm AR barrels. Not so much for 9mm pistol suppressors.

The threads are close enough that you could get it started.

If it is just threded too long, buy a spacer or get the threads shortened. You should be okay to shoot it, but check it often.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good question. Also, was it threaded 1/2 x 36 instead of 1/2 x 28. 1/2 x 36 is pretty normal for 9mm AR barrels. Not so much for 9mm pistol suppressors.

The threads are close enough that you could get it started.

If it is just threded too long, buy a spacer or get the threads shortened. You should be okay to shoot it, but check it often.

This is why I prefer L.H. threading on direct screw on(whenever possible) suppressors. They self tighten.

Oneqwickr6

Feb 8, 2013
    The thread pitch is 1/2 x 36 and I have the 1/2 x 36 piston with the fixed barrel adapter and it's a palmetto State armory barrel with a factor thread job the problem is the piston bottoms out on the end of the barrel before it tightens all the way to the shoulder on the barrel so when the suppressor is tight I can still see a small amount of threads showing almost like a washer or something should go in there ? I'll try and post pictures later. I know they say not to use a crush washer because they can cause baffle strikes if the suppressors isint aligned correctly maybe it's ok to fire like this? I'm not sure and don't wanna try

Oneqwickr6

Feb 8, 2013
    I'm new to pictures but what do u guys think is it ok to shoot or do I need to have something done

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_130804.jpg
      IMG_20171118_130804.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 546

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I would NOT shoot that. The piston should index off the barrel shoulder (and I understand metric is off the crown).

Can you measure the total thread length?

I am reading that a pistol barrel should be ~0.438" and a rifle ~0.625" inches:
    http://www.advanced-armament.com/assets/images/pdf/manuals/ThreadGuideREV_01-040513.PDF

I have a takeoff PSA 10.5" 9mm barrel in 1/2x36. I did not measure the thread length but the Griffin 3-lug adapter fits just fine. Looks like the either the barrel is threaded WAAAAY long or that piston is short.

Oneqwickr6

Feb 8, 2013
    It looks like the barrel is threaded way to long, will a flat machine washer work or does the barrel need to be cut

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I didn't think you needed the piston for rifles, only for pistols to get them to cycle properly. My BIL switches his adapter out on his .45 can when he goes from his HK USP to his Kriss V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom