• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I've been going the last 10 years or so. I have found that Friday is the day to go even though there may be a few late arriving vendors. The people that come late Saturday or Sunday will never know the deals that they missed because the items will be long gone to another home. Jusy my 2cents.

Good to know, if 95% of the vendors are there on a Friday, I would much rather shop with damn near half the crowd of a typical Saturday

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Never been before and 1.5hr drive from Harford co sounds worth the trouble.
    Best day to go? I always assumed Saturday would have the most vendors but also the biggest crowd, Sunday would be less crowded but also several things sold by then but opportunity to maybe get a slightly better deal late Sunday when vendors begin to wrap up for the event.

What about Friday? Are most all vendors present? I wouldn't mind taking the trip Friday afternoon with a smaller crowd

I've visited every day since I started going there. I personally like to go on Friday when the show opens. All of the vendors are not there. Some won't show up until Saturday morning. These are usually the small time vendor or individuals who only have 1-3 tables. Out of the 1700 tables, you may have 20-25 who are not set up. Saturdays are the busiest. Parking can be a problem on Saturday at times. You will find parking, but you'll have a walk to get into the event. Sunday's attendance can depend on what home town sporting event is going on. I think this Sunday will probably be very busy (on par with Saturday).

Regardless of what day you attend, drive to the far end of the building. You will see most people going in the front (main) entrance but there is a rear entrance too. There are usually more people in line at the front entrance. This show is held in 3 large buildings. Each is twice as big as the Timonium show, so you can only imagine how large it really is. They usually have a nice military vehicle display near the front too.

I personally like the back building the best. The vendors seem to suit me more, but there are deals in each building. Some of the largest businesses will be there. They don't discount anything for the show. Any of the vendors who are retailers will probably not be where you'll look for discounts (other than not paying shipping costs).

There will be plenty of 80% receivers and frames. Ammo and reloading supplies will be plentiful. Reloaders from Maryland will go to this show and stockpile. C&R are all over the place. Some junk and other top dollar firearms can be found. Your first visit, you will be amazed.

Just remember, if you see something you want to buy, buy it. It probably won't be there after you go through the entire show to look for a better deal.

If you're buying ammo or anything heavy, there are side doors that an attendant will let you go out of the building to your car. You will have to re-enter using the 2 main doors.

When you walk into the show, just remember to breath. You're in America and this is how they do it in America. :D

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Shooters and their knees...:sad20:

Crap, I didn't do the quote right. It should have been

"My dad and I also used to zip through the gun shows once for the blazing deals, then take our time to see everything too. Nowadays we try to take it all in with one pass. One of his knees is...well...matching numbers and old enough to be C&R...by a good bit. The other is only a few months old. I don't think we ever could have gone through Oaks twice (and I'm not suggesting I could do it on my own either!:o). We made it through once last year on the old knee...I'm pretty sure we're going to give the new one a test run."

Alas, I won't be going to Oaks this time. :sad20: The show conflicts with the Great Scale Train Show at Timonium & I've had a commitment for years to do a display there. :D (Guns/shooting is my first hobby passion, Large Scale Trains are my second).:o

At the last Gettysburg show, we saw ARs for under $500. Post Las Vegas, I wonder what they will be selling for now? :sad20: Oh well, I'm financially challenged right now anyway. :roll eyes: Hope you all have a great time & find lots of bargains!:party29:

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Thank you! That helps tremendously, I'm likely a go for Friday now guess I should try to get there by 2-3pm when it opens to take my time and not feel rushed.
    I didn't get to the D.C. show til late due to traffic until about 2:30pm and felt really rushed even though I was there last year and most everything was very much the same and many vendors in the same spots as year prior

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Shooters and their knees...:sad20:

Crap, I didn't do the quote right. It should have been

"My dad and I also used to zip through the gun shows once for the blazing deals, then take our time to see everything too. Nowadays we try to take it all in with one pass. One of his knees is...well...matching numbers and old enough to be C&R...by a good bit. The other is only a few months old. I don't think we ever could have gone through Oaks twice (and I'm not suggesting I could do it on my own either!:o). We made it through once last year on the old knee...I'm pretty sure we're going to give the new one a test run."

Alas, I won't be going to Oaks this time. :sad20: The show conflicts with the Great Scale Train Show at Timonium & I've had a commitment for years to do a display there. :D (Guns/shooting is my first hobby passion, Large Scale Trains are my second).:o

At the last Gettysburg show, we saw ARs for under $500. Post Las Vegas, I wonder what they will be selling for now? :sad20: Oh well, I'm financially challenged right now anyway. :roll eyes: Hope you all have a great time & find lots of bargains!:party29:

I may have to work this weekend, so I might not be going either :shrug:

gluestick

May 12, 2015
    Planning on making my way up on Saturday, mainly for high-cap AR, Glock, and 10/22 mags. Being my first time could anyone offer some advice as to what a good price to bite on aforementioned mags be.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thank you! That helps tremendously, I'm likely a go for Friday now guess I should try to get there by 2-3pm when it opens to take my time and not feel rushed.
    I didn't get to the D.C. show til late due to traffic until about 2:30pm and felt really rushed even though I was there last year and most everything was very much the same and many vendors in the same spots as year prior

You definitely want to allow plenty of time. Standing in line to get in sucks, but so does missing 1/4 of the show because closing time came faster than you expected:sad20:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Planning on making my way up on Saturday, mainly for high-cap AR, Glock, and 10/22 mags. Being my first time could anyone offer some advice as to what a good price to bite on aforementioned mags be.

Magpul gen2 30 round without windows should sell for somewhere around $9-10. With windows about $10-$12.

After LV, they may go up a little in price. Who knows what this event is going to do to prices?

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Have to say I was a little disappointed, literally everything was over priced. D.C. Show seemed to have more selection for my taste and in many cases better pricing.

I'm thinking gun shows are are slowly becoming what Best Buy and Amazon were a couple years ago.
    You go to Best Buy to touch feel stare at what you want and already researched online then go home and order it online for 15-30% less. I could see if it was a few bucks plus having to pay tax but I saw guns priced $200 over their avg price online after shipping to an FFL, guess they are targeting those who don't know the going prices

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Have to say I was a little disappointed, literally everything was over priced. D.C. Show seemed to have more selection for my taste and in many cases better pricing.

I'm thinking gun shows are are slowly becoming what Best Buy and Amazon were a couple years ago.
    You go to Best Buy to touch feel stare at what you want and already researched online then go home and order it online for 15-30% less. I could see if it was a few bucks plus having to pay tax but I saw guns priced $200 over their avg price online after shipping to an FFL, guess they are targeting those who don't know the going prices

Do you think this is because of the Las Vegas shooting? Maybe the vendors thought there'd be piranhas grabbing anything they could before the great gun purge of 2017?

I usually see good pricing at this show. Hard to believe that even this show is going down hill.

Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Do you think this is because of the Las Vegas shooting? Maybe the vendors thought there'd be piranhas grabbing anything they could before the great gun purge of 2017?

I usually see good pricing at this show. Hard to believe that even this show is going down hill.

Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!
    Heading up that way now. Hopefully will be able to report decent findings.

Rome

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co

Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!

Might be so, there was a table with 6 new in box bumpstocks all priced at $750-800

I couldn't imagine what this show would have been like had Hillary been in office

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Some decent stuff there if you knew the going prices. Alot marked up (as expected). A few tables had HUGE mark ups. Reasonable prices on 30 round pmags for ars and aks. Even found some Croatian steel AK mags for a good price.

Show was huge. Took 2 hours to walk it just once. Depending on why your going and what your looking for it would be a good trip.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Some decent stuff there if you knew the going prices. Alot marked up (as expected). A few tables had HUGE mark ups. Reasonable prices on 30 round pmags for ars and aks. Even found some Croatian steel AK mags for a good price.

Show was huge. Took 2 hours to walk it just once. Depending on why your going and what your looking for it would be a good trip.

Was this your first time at this show? Amazing show isn't it?

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    I picked up a couple of .50 caliber ammo cans. One guy had them for $5 in average used condition and another had many in real nice condition for $7 ea or $6.50 each if you bought two.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I picked up a couple of .50 caliber ammo cans. One guy had them for $5 in average used condition and another had many in real nice condition for $7 ea or $6.50 each if you bought two.

You only bought 2? They're usually are a few vendors selling ammo boxes. But those prices are cheaper than they've been in the past.

Congrats!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I've been to the Oaks show many times over the years, and you'd never know there was an incident just the week before. I think everyone stocked up a year ago heading into the general election, and, other than youngsters who are new to the game, most folks are well stocked; that and others just don't think the Congress and White House will do much going forward.

I did see the $750 slide fire stocks. No sales or window shoppers while I was there.

One big mag vendor I know told me he sold two slide fire stocks on consignment for a guy who got rebuffed by gunbroker. They were sold for $550 each to a youngster who said he "had to have them."

Generally, a quiet show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom