• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    IMO, volume is probably a lie like many others told by anti-2A side. They could get out a reply fast, and do other in-house database building layer.
    MD will hopefully be sued over wait times!

tenex

Oct 23, 2008
    As an FFL I can assure you that if we had a system like Virginia's where we could get the handgun NICS ourselves, there would be no delays. At REALCO we have been ordering guns in the middle of the night in order to have product. We have stayed as late as 11PM back in January during the height of the demand when the FBI NICS phones weren't even taking calls, in order to get long-gun approvals for our customers. Adapting is what the free market does. But add a government bureaucracy to this and we get what we have now. While I'm ranting, why is Maryland State Police involved in this at all? For the most part they just duplicate the work of the Feds. Though it's is true that minor desperados who don't pay their traffic fines, etc. would slip through is this really worth the expense? Just my 2 cents.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    It was a joke, sort of, aimed at the whole thing of O'Malley wanting the licensing fees to make a profit for the state.

i know it was said jokingly, my point was if they are getting paid to do the job of background check it would make sense that the more checks they have to do the more money they get and there by the more money they get then more work would get done. you know like in the real world, not in the goverment world were more work for more money does not equate.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Here's what I don't get. Since probably mid January after all of the in-stock supplies let up, wouldn't applications have started to slow just simply because there were so much fewer guns to sell? I know all the shops and counters are bare, so why are wait times still increasing?

Seriously, anyone have an answer for this? Maybe applications are still increasing, but I don't see how unless they're private sales thru FFL

They may be staying steady because people like me who are not designated collectors are buying before we can submit paperwork because of the 30 day wait, then buying another while waiting, and waiting for the 30 day wait. Lather rinse repeat.
    If finances and supply work in my favor I'll be submitting 2 on the 28th, if not 1 on the 28th, then buy one when I $$$ allows and 30 days after "not disaproved" submit another.
    Hopefully before October I'll have everything I want in my hands and not disaproved.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    As an FFL I can assure you that if we had a system like Virginia's where we could get the handgun NICS ourselves, there would be no delays.....
    Exactly. No delays elsewhere. MD intention is to delay, as the orig 7 day wait shows. They want delays. I am sure they are thrilled with using a volume uptick story to delay even beyond what is actually caused by increased volume.

Lagmeister1950

Shooter since '61
    Feb 1, 2013
    They may be staying steady because people like me who are not designated collectors are buying before we can submit paperwork because of the 30 day wait, then buying another while waiting, and waiting for the 30 day wait. Lather rinse repeat.
    If finances and supply work in my favor I'll be submitting 2 on the 28th, if not 1 on the 28th, then buy one when I $$$ allows and 30 days after "not disaproved" submit another.
    Hopefully before October I'll have everything I want in my hands and not disaproved.

Lather rinse repeat... I'll have everything I want in my hands before October.
    So, I'm annoying?

I am a broken record on this so I will not post about it again.
    Just hope all the newer folks don't find their way here and and begin to piece two and two together.

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    Of course this all just political theater, there is NO WAY THAT applications have increased over December and January. There is nothing to be bought, all local stores are emtpy with regulated stuff. This is just plain stall tactics by the MSP. Sorry there is absolutely no justification that the waiting time should increase anymore based on application load.

They could have. I ordered a handgun on 12/19. It didn't arrive until January. I couldn't do the paperwork as I already had another purchase and my collector letter in the system. I've put in paperwork on three handguns since, so my big push hit in February.

I heard that MSP was training people in March to augment the team in April. They've also added fax machines. They should be improving.

Can you imagine what it will be like when we all have 30 days to register everything we own plus go through firearms training??

I also heard that the Oct 1 dare was amended to Jan 1.

Is there a current copy of SB 281 available anywhere?

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Any idea how long it's taking to process collector's permits?
    I'd like to do my part to flood the system but I'm already backed up with guns I haven't even started paperwork on! Also - If anybody knows a Virginia FFL who's willing to do an out of state rifle transfer please PM me. I know it's legal but I can't find anyone to do it.

mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013
    Yet Another Thread, wow.

Well, last thread we were told that everyone can rest assured that some very important people are looking into this issue. But we were never given their names.

Go play with one of your other guns was advised by another person.

That's all I have, but hey, I'm still positive.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    I'd like to do my part to flood the system but I'm already backed up with guns I haven't even started paperwork on! Also - If anybody knows a Virginia FFL who's willing to do an out of state rifle transfer please PM me. I know it's legal but I can't find anyone to do it.

There are a couple of other threads on this -- but the wait time now is just about a month. I mailed in the collector application on 2/12/13. I received the approved letter on 3/14/13 and the letter itself was dated 3/12/13. supposedly there is one trooper handling all the collector applications - I know it is a different process, but I wish they could clone her a dozen times and put them to work on the firearm apps.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011

3 to 6 weeks.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I wonder if folks had put the money, effort, and time into fighting the infringements that they put into getting their goodies before these laws are passed, I bet there would be no chance of them getting this stuff passed.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Think about it. Aren't we in a battle to protect our rights?

Perhaps I really don't get it. I never looked at non gun owners as idiots.
    Just because I own them and hunt I never thought lesser of those who didn't.
    I just thought they were missing out on something.

But even so, what are we trying to do here? I guess my age is really showing. I thought this was all about getting support from the Maryland citizens at large, educating them toward gun ownership.

Perhaps this is really about buying and filling another safe.

Thank you for your post! I am a latecomer to the party and have jumped into this fight with both feet. Gone down to Annapolis, testified and sent emails.

I also accept the wait and being on the trailing edge.

Everyone here has been fabulous about the education, offers for range trips, actual range trips and letting me try their firearms.

I used to be afraid of guns, what happened for me was I became more afraid of my government. Never thought that would happen.

What I don't get is for us repeat purchasers, why is the background check the same amount of time? For heavens sakes, they just did one 30-45 days ago. Heck, clearance lapse only requires a gap investigation and we are talking about national security, not a citizen exercising a Constitutional right

Lagmeister1950

Shooter since '61
    Feb 1, 2013
    Thank you for your post! I am a latecomer to the party and have jumped into this fight with both feet. Gone down to Annapolis, testified and sent emails.

I also accept the wait and being on the trailing edge.

Everyone here has been fabulous about the education, offers for range trips, actual range trips and letting me try their firearms.

I used to be afraid of guns, what happened for me was I became more afraid of my government. Never thought that would happen.

What I don't get is for us repeat purchasers, why is the background check the same amount of time? For heavens sakes, they just did one 30-45 days ago. Heck, clearance lapse only requires a gap investigation and we are talking about national security, not a citizen exercising a Constitutional right

And a double thank you, to you!!
    Over the years I have involved dozens of folks into the world of firearms.
    My father was pistol champ on the department and I learned how to handle a handgun very early in life. The one thing I noticed is that folks have a tendency to buy a handgun and never quite get proficient with it. So, getting with people that know how to shoot and shooting a much as you can is really the way to go.

As a follow up to other points: getting new people involved right now is our only salvation and getting them to contact the politicians is a must.

We can't change the current processing system right now. All we can do is try to save our current rights and not make the system worse for new folks coming in. Our total energy of time and money should be focused on stopping the gun grab.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    And a double thank you, to you!!
    Over the years I have involved dozens of folks into the world of firearms.
    My father was pistol champ on the department and I learned how to handle a handgun very early in life. The one thing I noticed is that folks have a tendency to buy a handgun and never quite get proficient with it. So, getting with people that know how to shoot and shooting a much as you can is really the way to go.

As a follow up to other points: getting new people involved right now is our only salvation and getting them to contact the politicians is a must.

We can't change the current processing system right now. All we can do is try to save our current rights and not make the system worse for new folks coming in. Our total energy of time and money should be focused on stopping the gun grab.

Back at you!!!!

Apologies for not getting in sooner (not so much on the purchases, but the fight). The MDS community being here has been such an excellent resource. I know plenty of other gals like me just becoming aware of the BS going on and making their first buy.

I was so sceeeeeeeered of the AR-15, guilty of thinking the AR stood for Assault Rifle :). They intentionally make up stuff.

A really nice fella here took me to the range, let me try his out and OMG, I am in love! And on the hunt.

BTW, wasn't looking for anyone here to do anything about the repeat issue, it just doesn't make sense. But then again, what does when it comes to the government? :D

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I don't believe that they are as backed up as they say they are....I believe they are seeing how far they can push us towards the proverbial cliff if not over it. Those of you who don't believe that...look around, look at the country and the mess its in. All because we believe and sometimes make up excuses for the very people who are infringing or destroying our rights. I've lived in this communist territory called Maryland for 10 months...I've about had enough of the BS. I've been emailing, writing, and calling the entire MD general assembly...I may as well piss in the wind. I'm ready to sell and move back to WV...

Lagmeister1950

Shooter since '61
    Feb 1, 2013
    I don't believe that they are as backed up as they say they are....I believe they are seeing how far they can push us towards the proverbial cliff if not over it. Those of you who don't believe that...look around, look at the country and the mess its in. All because we believe and sometimes make up excuses for the very people who are infringing or destroying our rights. I've lived in this communist territory called Maryland for 10 months...I've about had enough of the BS. I've been emailing, writing, and calling the entire MD general assembly...I may as well piss in the wind. I'm ready to sell and move back to WV...

I will note this: we have heard nothing from our supporters in Annapolis on this issue from either the Senate or the House. There has to be a reason. Perhaps they do not want to highlight panic buying or they feel the MSP are doing everything they can. Other than the gun grab itself, this is the 800 lb. gorilla.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I will note this: we have heard nothing from our supporters in Annapolis on this issue from either the Senate or the House. There has to be a reason. Perhaps they do not want to highlight panic buying or they feel the MSP are doing everything they can. Other than the gun grab itself, this is the 800 lb. gorilla.

Maybe the fees are going into the General Fund, so it doesn't matter how long it takes once they get the money. If the fees went to the operation, they should have a huge surplus to hire more people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom