• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Even though I don't even like AR's, I seem to be acquiring them anyways. A buddy of mine recently gave me an old 1991-92 vintage "Sporter Match HBAR" and I need a part. It's 100% as it left the factory EXCEPT for him replacing the butt plate at some point and, of course, the original is long gone. Well, I like stuff as it is supposed to be so I'm needing a proper Colt butt trapdoor butt plate of this era. I see that Windham Weaponry sells them but they aren't Colt and Colt does not sell them anymore. The rifle has never had more than a few boxes of ammo through it so I think it's worth saving as it's practically new. So, does anyone know where I can find the proper trapdoor butt plate? It has a butt trap in there and it even has the cleaning bits still in the bag. I don't know all the alphabet/number designations on these damn capitalist rifles! I guess it's for the A2 stock? You guys would know better than I do. Thanks in advance!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Wow, a bona fide Colt Sporter HBAR as listed in statute.

Nice!!

Wait, gave it to you? A vintage 1991 Sporter HBAR with little use and almost all the original parts has to a bundle.

Numrich has parts, but I dont think they are Colt. They are labeled as generic.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Wait, gave it to you? A vintage 1991 Sporter HBAR with little use and almost all the original parts has to a bundle......

He's a pretty good guy and a very good friend. Are these things actually worth anything? Colt ground the bayonet lug off and put a block in the receiver so that you can't fit a full auto bolt. The front handguard ferrule is set up for triangular handguards too so you can't fit normal, modern replacement hand guards. I just assumed that these late pre-bans were not much wanted because of things like this. You can't really modify them much. Of course, being a nerdy purist, I don't really modify my firearms anyways so it works for me.

Anywho, thank you guys! I'll look into the leads provided.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    He's a pretty good guy and a very good friend. Are these things actually worth anything? Colt ground the bayonet lug off and put a block in the receiver so that you can't fit a full auto bolt. The front handguard ferrule is set up for triangular handguards too so you can't fit normal, modern replacement hand guards. I just assumed that these late pre-bans were not much wanted because of things like this. You can't really modify them much. Of course, being a nerdy purist, I don't really modify my firearms anyways so it works for me.

Anywho, thank you guys! I'll look into the leads provided.

on gunbroker, pre ban Colt Sporter HBARs are going for anywhere from $1600 to $4000 depending on condition, whether it has original box and stuff etc. Not sure about the mods, but this is definitely a collectors item. not an expert, but id say its a nice gift!

Also, you can start a side business renting it out to settle the "is it" or "isnt it" an HBAR. :lol2:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm partial to the collapsible stock rifle in your photo. Plain jane Colt AR. Lot of them we see and build today are just too flashy and complicated.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The collapsible stock one is a Colt too from the Clinton Era. It's a Philadelphia Police Dept. trade in. The only reason I bought that one is because it had the neato "Restricted" roll mark:

I obscured the serial. It's not "0"!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    on gunbroker, pre ban Colt Sporter HBARs are going for anywhere from $1600 to $4000 depending on condition, whether it has original box and stuff etc. Not sure about the mods, but this is definitely a collectors item. not an expert, but id say its a nice gift!

:

I had no idea. Thank you! He bought it on a whim all those years ago because he thought they were going to be banned completely and it's been sitting for forever. He knows I like "all that military stuff" so he passed it on.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    As it just so happens, I have a "Blue Book Pocket Guide for Colt Firearms and Values", 2015, sitting in front of me, let's just see what it says!

I believe you have a model R6601 Match HBAR. In 100% (new/perfect) condition, it is listed as $1750.

Is that just for MD or for the USA market? I have one of these sporters that was sitting in my safe. However, I never modified mine and still have that cardboard box and the useless cleaning kit that came with it. It was one of those rifles that I shot and never got excited about. The rear sight didn't even go down to 8/3 -2 when I tried to zero it at 200 yards, so I just put it in the safe and went onto other guns.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Combloc, unless I am missing something your Colt Sporter is not a "late pre-ban"....it is a 1991-92 Ban Era rifle with the Full Auto block using a "half-moon" Bolt Carrier Group that slides around the silly block.

If you get a chance, take out the BCG, flip it over and post up a picture to show it to the folks who have probably never seen one.

What's the manufacture date on the Philly PD gun? It should not have the BCG block in it, but might have an unshrouded BCG, and if it does post a pic of that too if you can.

Nice little Colt "arsenal" ya got there.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    He has a Sporter made after 1993, when the Clinton gun ban went into effect. The "law enforcement only" lettering might make his a rarity since many people didn't want these guns after 2003 when the Clinton ban expired. They're certainly more rare than my Sporter with the evil bayonet lug, even though I don't have a M-16 bayonet.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wow I am lucky to get a drink at the bar from my gang. That's really nice and vintage awesomeness.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    He has a Sporter made after 1993, when the Clinton gun ban went into effect. The "law enforcement only" lettering might make his a rarity since many people didn't want these guns after 2003 when the Clinton ban expired. They're certainly more rare than my Sporter with the evil bayonet lug, even though I don't have a M-16 bayonet.

My bad, you are correct. Combloc's Sporter is a pre-ban, with the Scary Black Rifle ban going into effect in September 1994 and expiring September 2004.

Still like to see the half-moon BCG, though!

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Is that just for MD or for the USA market? I have one of these sporters that was sitting in my safe. However, I never modified mine and still have that cardboard box and the useless cleaning kit that came with it. It was one of those rifles that I shot and never got excited about. The rear sight didn't even go down to 8/3 -2 when I tried to zero it at 200 yards, so I just put it in the safe and went onto other guns.

US market and the prices in it tend to be conservative.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thanks, you guys are very helpful! The bolt carriers are cut slightly different in the two rifles but will interchange. Both have (I think) the "half moon" cut, it's just done differently. Both carriers and bolt heads are marked as Colt manufacture. The solid stock one does have the block while the other does not. As I said, other than swapping out the butt on the one, both rifles are as they left the factory. I'll post a few pictures tomorrow or the next day.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Combloc....there are folks who have never seen the sear block, so if you get a chance can you snap a close-up of that?

It's a great example of the insanity that the Clintons and their gun-grabber mafia put on manufacturers, including Smith and Wesson which "had a gun to their head" to put internal locks on their revolvers, with the lock also known as the Hillary Hole.

EDIT: I went and grabbed a photo set showing the different Colt lowers. For noobies, the sear block is that stupid Lego-looking thing with the Colt name stamped on it in the middle photo. It was installed there an an obstacle to people attempting to convert their Colt to full auto.

Attachments

• 51AE7980-A394-42EC-9E21-42D5ED2D107D.jpg
      51AE7980-A394-42EC-9E21-42D5ED2D107D.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 305

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads