• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Ever since I sold my 10/22 last year I've been 22-less, and wanted to get a bolt action this time. Always been a fan of CZ firearms, and wanted to build a benchrest bolt that will be fun and cheap to shoot for the family, and a good way to practice the fundamentals.

There seems to be ~$130 difference between the two CZ455 models - Varmint and American. Seems like a barrel contour change only. Will there be a measurable difference, all other things being equal, that justifies the extra cost of the Varmint? Will that difference persist if the barreled action is needed in an aluminum chassis mount?

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    There is a small difference in the stock shape and overall weight but accuracy should be about the same for either IMHO. I have read that the thicker barrel adds weight and improves barrel harmonics though I can't shoot good enough to test that out. Not sure how much it matters in .22LR any way. If you are that concerned get the Varmint and put a Lilja barrel on it. I believe the Varmint stock is better for barrel swaps since the channel is cut for a thicker barrel. Not sure what you mean by an aluminum chassis mount. I have the 16.5" varmint barrel and can shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards bench rested, scoped, no wind, on a good day, with bright sun, no wind and the right ammo. Ammo really makes a difference I have found.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I was planning to get a chassis from MPA for the 455 at some point and was wondering how to best order it, the comment about Varmint stocks having a thicker cut makes sense. If I get the chassis made for that, thinner barrels will work too if I ever change in the future for any reason.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    There is a small difference in the stock shape and overall weight but accuracy should be about the same for either IMHO. I have read that the thicker barrel adds weight and improves barrel harmonics though I can't shoot good enough to test that out. Not sure how much it matters in .22LR any way. If you are that concerned get the Varmint and put a Lilja barrel on it. I believe the Varmint stock is better for barrel swaps since the channel is cut for a thicker barrel. Not sure what you mean by an aluminum chassis mount. I have the 16.5" varmint barrel and can shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards bench rested, scoped, no wind, on a good day, with bright sun, no wind and the right ammo. Ammo really makes a difference I have found.

I can attest to this. I have a few CZs that I'd like to range test now that they've been scoped, but I did get the CZ455 Varmint in 22LR with the 16.5-inch bull barrel to the NRA indoor range to sight in and then ammo test at 50 yards. Other than the Weaver Grand Slam 4-16x scope, the rifle is completely stock.

Although I was a bit skeptical, some of the pricier match ammo did perform well in this rifle.

6cb7fa2496aa68cd1c088d3d11573443.jpg
    bc92da1cc26288c6fd9eff6221da2e6f.jpg

I'll break it down in two follow-up posts below.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    These were my top performers: CCI Standard Velocity, Federal Ultramatch (I called the upper flyer after flinching when the shooter next to me fired his first 308 round after a lull), Wolf Match Target (surprised me - strange sticky coating though), and Eley Match Biathlon.

Dime included for size comparisons. 50 yard target. 5 shot groups from a bench.

4ea688ddf3cfa3999d4338bd2f829de2.jpg
    89d008ac0ce6a51bf464ae11b7b12223.jpg
    8edaf2177e4d6780b7cdf8333c48b6ce.jpg
    2786ea38ac02630035c1c4999ea30423.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    And these were the other 22LR loadings tested ... more CCI, Federal, and Eley.
    adb129e66727a46d6b374b7bab464501.jpg
    ccfd60d1b12cd1d1b1f19db447e79a63.jpg
    8ef94084f093b738f4bb222206f420e0.jpg
    dc0f1bb13e50fd808356c7b21024d6e5.jpg
    8ac24257dfa788139f5786f200d5043a.jpg

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'll have to say, this CZ 455 training rifle is really nice. I shouldered one while at the Nations Gun show and damn near bought it on the spot. It's got a dove tail mount on the receiver for a scope, and I know you can get a picatinny rail mount from a 3rd party for other optics. The semi-buckhorn irons look to be pretty decent and I think this rifle would be fun right out of the box.

https://grabagun.com/cz-455-22lr-20-6-5rd.html

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Funny, I never concluded this thread..

I ended up getting the CZ Varmint profile 455 in a Boyd's stock. No regrets on this at all, the difference between this version and the American is worth it. The stock feels like it was cut specifically for me. Maybe they had the typical "wingspan" of an average height male in mind, someone 5'9"-6' or so.

The platform is ridiculously stable though, recoil is basically nonexistent. Unless there are suppressors available the barrel doesn't need to be threaded.

The MPA stocks for the 455 look awesome and I'm sure they are great to have, but the price on those things is steep... I don't compete with this 22, it's something I plink with, not sure a fancy chassis is worth the cost and weight.
    1353f30a4bd833c34dd7a0c7b76c7a97.jpg

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice set-up. I trust you're happy with its performance.

Although I'm pleased with my new 455 Varmint in 22LR, riffing off your thread title question, I also want an American, preferably 452.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'll have to say, this CZ 455 training rifle is really nice. I shouldered one while at the Nations Gun show and damn near bought it on the spot. It's got a dove tail mount on the receiver for a scope, and I know you can get a picatinny rail mount from a 3rd party for other optics. The semi-buckhorn irons look to be pretty decent and I think this rifle would be fun right out of the box.

https://grabagun.com/cz-455-22lr-20-6-5rd.html
    CZ naming throws me off. I have a basic/farmer which looks like the rifle in the Grabagun image (and is the CZ 513 model, with a different trigger mechanism, but otherwise has 452 components). On the other hand, the CZ Trainer used to have the rear tangent sights and a checkered pistol grip.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    CZ naming throws me off. I have a basic/farmer which looks like the rifle in the Grabagun image (and is the CZ 513 model, with a different trigger mechanism, but otherwise has 452 components). On the other hand, the CZ Trainer used to have the rear tangent sights and a checkered pistol grip.

The one I looked at in Chantilly had a checkered grip.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Over here jealous damn Area 419 Picatinny rail has been out of stock until this past week so I haven’t even shot mine yet

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Over here jealous damn Area 419 Picatinny rail has been out of stock until this past week so I haven’t even shot mine yet
    Given what this rifle can do at 50 yards, the extra MOA you're getting from the rail will be worth it in case you are eager to try longer distance rimfire precision.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    These were my top performers: CCI Standard Velocity, Federal Ultramatch (I called the upper flyer after flinching when the shooter next to me fired his first 308 round after a lull), Wolf Match Target (surprised me - strange sticky coating though), and Eley Match Biathlon.

Dime included for size comparisons. 50 yard target. 5 shot groups from a bench.

It wasn't the mighty Buck Mark pistol at your left that spooked you?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I can attest to this. I have a few CZs that I'd like to range test now that they've been scoped, but I did get the CZ455 Varmint in 22LR with the 16.5-inch bull barrel to the NRA indoor range to sight in and then ammo test at 50 yards. Other than the Weaver Grand Slam 4-16x scope, the rifle is completely stock.

Although I was a bit skeptical, some of the pricier match ammo did perform well in this rifle.

6cb7fa2496aa68cd1c088d3d11573443.jpg
    bc92da1cc26288c6fd9eff6221da2e6f.jpg

I'll break it down in two follow-up posts below.

Damn I am regretting not jumping on those. Curious to see what it will do with .17HMR

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It wasn't the mighty Buck Mark pistol at your left that spooked you?
    Lol, you should have shot a 308 in sync with the guy on my right so the muzzle blasts could cancel each other out.
    Damn I am regretting not jumping on those. Curious to see what it will do with .17HMR
    Still available at Kentucky Gun for the same price last time that I checked. I'm really impressed with what it can do at 50 yards and look forward to nicer weather so I can test it at 100 yards.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Every bit of what you see in Fidelity's excellent post.

It was the purchase of a 455 in 17HMR that prompted me to buy the same rifle in 22LR. Wasn't interested in barrel interchangeability, though you can go that route also if desired.

The 17 in the 455 literally redefined for me what I had previously believed a rimfire to be capable of.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a 455 VPT, which came in a Manners T4 stock.

It has a Timney trigger. There are other options, but I wanted to match my .308 precision rifle.

25 MOA rail and metal bottom metal.

Due to a nice group buy on Snipers Hide, it has a Lija barrel, threaded for my Gentech.

I put a Midway BSA Tactical 4-14x scope.

Overall, very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom