• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    So while heading home on the train i went down the rabbit hole on these subjects and need some clarification. As it was designed, the ar was built around a 20" barrel with a 1/12 twist and a 50? Grain bullet for high velocity and reliable, of course not garunteed, fragmentation. I believe they were also FMJ as well? Apparently even though the gun itself had its struggles initially the wound channels eith this set up were apparently quite incredible. Given that FMJ is the cheapest, why dont you see these setups more? Wpuldnt that combo give you the best across the board as far as plinking accuracy and hunting/home defense? I get that the1:9 is kinda the jack of all when it comes to bullet weights and the shorter barrels in urban combat and the like, but wouldnt the 20" 1/12 45-55 grain get the most out of the platforn as intended? Or am i missing something obvious?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Military uses a number of types of ammo for various reasons. 1/7" accommodates this range of bullets.

For shooting past 300 yards, the heavier bullets are better. 1/8" is the optimum twist IMO.

M193 shoots just fine in a 1 in 7.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Because everyone is an operating operator who operates by slinging 77gr SMKs at 800yds.

Here's the real answer: it's nice having the option to use 62gr when it's available, and if you've made that decision, you may as well go with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Because everyone is an operating operator who operates by slinging 77gr SMKs at 800yds.

Here's the real answer: it's nice having the option to use 62gr when it's available, and if you've made that decision, you may as well go with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate.

Sada approves.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sada approves.
    Let me tell you, son, when I'm patrolling the mall with my tactical team, your old-ass M193 isn't going to get it done. I need the firepower to penetrate STEEL HELMETS at 600yds, because the TANGOS inhabiting the Olive Garden aren't messing around... besides the helmets, they've got daddy's old Rem 700 hunting rifle in 30-06 with API rounds and thermal scopes. You've got to hit them HARD AND FAST from as far away as possible, or your ass is going to be lit up like a pharmacy in a race riot. Don't even get me started on the punks at Lane Bryant... they may like fatties, but they're also packing Barrett .50cals, which is incidentally why I always duct-tape double-layered level IV+ plates to my front and back.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    hahahaha

Let me tell you, son, when I'm patrolling the mall with my tactical team, your old-ass M193 isn't going to get it done. I need the firepower to penetrate STEEL HELMETS at 600yds, because the TANGOS inhabiting the Olive Garden aren't messing around... besides the helmets, they've got daddy's old Rem 700 hunting rifle in 30-06 with API rounds and thermal scopes. You've got to hit them HARD AND FAST from as far away as possible, or your ass is going to be lit up like a pharmacy in a race riot. Don't even get me started on the punks at Lane Bryant... they may like fatties, but they're also packing Barrett .50cals, which is incidentally why I always duct-tape double-layered level IV+ plates to my front and back.

now that is funny right there.. :lol::lol:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Lol, brilliant.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The original AR-15 was designed with a 1:14" rate of twist. When tested the Air Force wanted a change as with the 1:14" twist a 55 grain bullet was barely stable and in cold temperatures the rifle's accuracy could not be within standards. Since the USAF operates bases all around the world with many is extremely cold environments they requested the change and the Army concurred so the change was made. There are claims that the change in twist rate reduced the lethality of the rifle by 40%...true or not I can't say. There were early reports from Vietnam that the AR-15 (pre-M16) was much prized for its ability to be devastating in a human target.

You can probably still get 1:14" barrels from custom makers. Olympic Arms used to make them available for special order in their rifles. Maybe they still do.

All I can say is any bullet weight and design out of any AR rifles...regardless of rate of twist...is gonna hurt.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I read a copy of the original Soviet eval of captured ARs from Vietnam. Soviets could not understand why the barrel used a twist rate that was clearly innapropriate for the 4 gram 224 round, there was a lot of confusion to that effect... they couldn't believe rich Americans would issue something like that to the field.

There were tighter twist barrels fabricated for testing ARs as proof. That work eventually led to 5.45mm adoption.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    So while heading home on the train i went down the rabbit hole on these subjects and need some clarification. As it was designed, the ar was built around a 20" barrel with a 1/12 twist and a 50? Grain bullet for high velocity and reliable, of course not garunteed, fragmentation. I believe they were also FMJ as well? Apparently even though the gun itself had its struggles initially the wound channels eith this set up were apparently quite incredible. Given that FMJ is the cheapest, why dont you see these setups more? Wpuldnt that combo give you the best across the board as far as plinking accuracy and hunting/home defense? I get that the1:9 is kinda the jack of all when it comes to bullet weights and the shorter barrels in urban combat and the like, but wouldnt the 20" 1/12 45-55 grain get the most out of the platforn as intended? Or am i missing something obvious?

Longer heavier bullets

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Hail to the new Mall Ninja! Gecko and Erwos both have seven letters it must be code. It is now safe for the Mayor's nephew to return to the mall once again, Erwos the vigilant is on guard.:D

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    The original AR-15 was designed with a 1:14" rate of twist. When tested the Air Force wanted a change as with the 1:14" twist a 55 grain bullet was barely stable and in cold temperatures the rifle's accuracy could not be within standards. Since the USAF operates bases all around the world with many is extremely cold environments they requested the change and the Army concurred so the change was made. There are claims that the change in twist rate reduced the lethality of the rifle by 40%...true or not I can't say. There were early reports from Vietnam that the AR-15 (pre-M16) was much prized for its ability to be devastating in a human target.

You can probably still get 1:14" barrels from custom makers. Olympic Arms used to make them available for special order in their rifles. Maybe they still do.

All I can say is any bullet weight and design out of any AR rifles...regardless of rate of twist...is gonna hurt.
    Just an fyi Olympic Arms is now out of buisness.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

I hope you were wearing a pair of khaki cargo pants, a black polo shirt, and a pair of available on TV only tactical sun glasses.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I hope you were wearing a pair of khaki cargo pants, a black polo shirt, and a pair of available on TV only tactical sun glasses.
    HOW DARE YOU SIR. Our tactical security force wears only the finest 5.11 Tactical apparel! 5.11's concealed-carry-friendly clothes allow us to seamlessly blend into crowds while I carry the "deadly duo" of a Glock 26 and a Glock 34 MOS Gen5 w/ RMR Type-2 carefully hidden in Fobus IWB and AIWB holsters, along with several 33rd Glock magazines for extended firefights. That's in addition to our standard loadout of Kel-Tec SU-16s with twelve 40rd C-Products mags filled with Tula 55gr. I've found them extremely reliable, far more so than the trashy Sig Rattlers with Magpul Gen3s we've eval'd - Mk318 Mod 0 rounds kept going nose-up while feeding in those POS, not that they were all that accurate anyways. In order to keep our low-profile in these urban operations, we've rattle-canned the SU-16s in "stealth grey". We deploy them with shortened stocks, heli-crew-style.

Let me tell you, you can mock us all you want, but we're keeping you SAFE out there. Just the other day, we had a "situation" in the movie theater. The deputy mayor's stepson had a suspicious man with a boner sit next to him and look at him inappropriately. The mall ownership called in FBI HRT, but the feds were overpowered by the thick doors of screen 7 and overwhelming scent of buttered popcorn. My team did a forced entry with C4, put down the perp, and saved the boy's anal virginity. HRT thanked us later in a secret ceremony where we demonstrated some techniques that they use to this day.

I don't call myself a hero, but I guess I've heard others say it. Just doing my job in the increasingly violent world of retail security.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    The original AR-15 was designed with a 1:14" rate of twist. When tested the Air Force wanted a change as with the 1:14" twist a 55 grain bullet was barely stable....

Bullet was supposed to tumble when hitting flesh, creating a nasty wound. Fact that the rifle was being used in Viet Nam - 100* temperatures.

That change, using ball powder, unchromed chambers, and no cleaning kits caused lots of problems...Then

I believe it turned out to be the longest serving rifle by US forces.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    HOW DARE YOU SIR. Our tactical security force wears only the finest 5.11 Tactical apparel! 5.11's concealed-carry-friendly clothes allow us to seamlessly blend into crowds while I carry the "deadly duo" of a Glock 26 and a Glock 34 MOS Gen5 w/ RMR Type-2 carefully hidden in Fobus IWB and AIWB holsters, along with several 33rd Glock magazines for extended firefights. That's in addition to our standard loadout of Kel-Tec SU-16s with twelve 40rd C-Products mags filled with Tula 55gr. I've found them extremely reliable, far more so than the trashy Sig Rattlers with Magpul Gen3s we've eval'd - Mk318 Mod 0 rounds kept going nose-up while feeding in those POS, not that they were all that accurate anyways. In order to keep our low-profile in these urban operations, we've rattle-canned the SU-16s in "stealth grey". We deploy them with shortened stocks, heli-crew-style.

Let me tell you, you can mock us all you want, but we're keeping you SAFE out there. Just the other day, we had a "situation" in the movie theater. The deputy mayor's stepson had a suspicious man with a boner sit next to him and look at him inappropriately. The mall ownership called in FBI HRT, but the feds were overpowered by the thick doors of screen 7 and overwhelming scent of buttered popcorn. My team did a forced entry with C4, put down the perp, and saved the boy's anal virginity. HRT thanked us later in a secret ceremony where we demonstrated some techniques that they use to this day.

I don't call myself a hero, but I guess I've heard others say it. Just doing my job in the increasingly violent world of retail security.

LOL!!! You’re on a roll

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom