• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I am looking to put an optic on my P226 9mm. Seems like the easiest way is to get an RX Conversion kit. About $600. However, SIG doesn't sell the kits to MD because it comes with a 15 round mag. I called them and they said they were going to have someone call me back to see if they would swap to a 10 round. Never was called back. I went to Loudoun Guns and inquired about it but the shop employee said those kits aren't sold through dealers only the Sig web store. He said he could order one through the site for me but there would be a significant increase in price. They need to make $$ too. I understood. Sounded like just purchasing a P226 RX 9mm would be the same price as what they would have to charge me, for the kit, to make it worth their while.

Anyone have a recommendation? I really don't want to have the slide cut into to install an optic when it should be an easy purchase if it weren't for stupid MD. Also don't want to have to purchase a new handgun and attempt to sell the one I have.

I have so much gun crap I want to get its ridiculous. AR optic, AR pistol, conversion kit, suppressor, etc.... It's like addictive drugs.....

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Unfortunately, that’s exactly what I had to do.. I had a friend in PA order and I paid him a little extra for his time... Sucks but whatcha going to do...

Algot

Feb 13, 2017
    Frederick
    How long ago did you call them? Sig has always called me back, but typically take a day or two. They used to have both, a 10 and 15 rd, versions listed on their website. I hope they will do the swap for you. I am close to making this same purchase.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Maybe try a different gun shop. :shrug: I get it that time is money, and they are in the business of making money...but good grief! How much time does it take to order something? It's not even like it's a firearm that comes with paper work. Just my .02, but if they have to mark it up more than $50 to cover an employee spending 5 min on the internet and 2 minutes to check the mail...I'm pretty sure I could find someone else. I bet my LGS would do it for $20...heck, I'm a pretty regular customer, he'd probably just charge me his cost as a perk of being a loyal customer.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Let us know how you finally dealt with this problem because I was thinking of doing the same thing for my P229 9mm Legion. I was looking at the Sig website but did not realize that they would not ship to MD even though now that you mention it, I should have known better since they supply a 15 round magazine with the kit. Bummer.

Cal68

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Let us know how you finally dealt with this problem because I was thinking of doing the same thing for my P229 9mm Legion. I was looking at the Sig website but did not realize that they would not ship to MD even though now that you mention it, I should have known better since they supply a 15 round magazine with the kit. Bummer.

Cal68
    Will do. I'm going to give them another call tomorrow. Seems silly they wouldn't throw in the 10 round mag or just remove it. Would suck not getting any magazine but life in MD isn't easy.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Maybe try a different gun shop. :shrug: I get it that time is money, and they are in the business of making money...but good grief! How much time does it take to order something? It's not even like it's a firearm that comes with paper work. Just my .02, but if they have to mark it up more than $50 to cover an employee spending 5 min on the internet and 2 minutes to check the mail...I'm pretty sure I could find someone else. I bet my LGS would do it for $20...heck, I'm a pretty regular customer, he'd probably just charge me his cost as a perk of being a loyal customer.
    I completely agree. I'll be checking other shops in VA.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Finally talked to a Sig CS who was a sup or something and he said they are frustrated about this too. They have asked, whoever is in charge, to offer state compliant conversion kits on the web store but to no avail. The option through Sig is to send your gun to them and get a "custom" slide made and they will send it all back to you. 3 weeks. That sounds completely stupid to me. Why do I have to send them the gun? There is no regulation on the slides in MD. They aren't modifying the old slide. There is no rationale.

I guess then you can get a slide with the Trijicon RMR vs the Romeo 1 if you want or whatever other options you might like. However, it still makes zero sense.

I think I'm going to pursue a different option.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I wonder if they have, say a "Replacement" slide. Seems to be there would be some sort of part replacement.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Finally talked to a Sig CS who was a sup or something and he said they are frustrated about this too. They have asked, whoever is in charge, to offer state compliant conversion kits on the web store but to no avail. The option through Sig is to send your gun to them and get a "custom" slide made and they will send it all back to you. 3 weeks. That sounds completely stupid to me. Why do I have to send them the gun? There is no regulation on the slides in MD. They aren't modifying the old slide. There is no rationale.

I guess then you can get a slide with the Trijicon RMR vs the Romeo 1 if you want or whatever other options you might like. However, it still makes zero sense.

I think I'm going to pursue a different option.

I am thinking of calling Sig and asking them if they will take my CC number but ship the kit to my sister who lives in free America. Then I can pick up the kit the next time I visit her.

I’m stopping in a LGS in VA. I plan to ask them to order one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please let us know your results and if the shop wants more business.
    Yes, please let us know what your LGS in VA says and how much they charge on top of the Sig store price for their time and effort. Thanks.

Cal68

Algot

Feb 13, 2017
    Frederick
    Yes, please let us know what your LGS in VA says and how much they charge on top of the Sig store price for their time and effort. Thanks.

Cal68

I was in Loudoun Guns assessing an excellent condition West German P228 for another member. Spoke to the manager regarding the CALX-226-9-RX. He advised me to order online, Sig has not stocked to the level where he can get them.
    A little history from my experience. Sig "Leaked" a small amount of these exchange kits earlier in the year to their largest volume dealers. I suspect this was a Beta/Market test. There were a few on brick and mortar stores and some on internet vendors. Those sold reasonably quick, I should have bought one then. I spoke to Sig in April, they were planning to go back into production in May. Here we are now in August and Sig has them back in stock. I believe Sig wants to benefit from the first wave of sales, and will then make them more readily available to there vendors. At that point, I would expect some competitive sales.
    Sig may take a CC from Maryland and ship out of state, there are other internet stores that will NOT do this. This is the route that I would choose, if ordering one.
    If you would like to discuss, in further detail, PM me and I'll reply with my cell number.
    Good luck.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think they want you gun because .22 conversion kits are not always "drop in". I can't even count how many I had to fit in my time as a general Gunsmith.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I was in Loudoun Guns assessing an excellent condition West German P228 for another member. Spoke to the manager regarding the CALX-226-9-RX. He advised me to order online, Sig has not stocked to the level where he can get them.
    A little history from my experience. Sig "Leaked" a small amount of these exchange kits earlier in the year to their largest volume dealers. I suspect this was a Beta/Market test. There were a few on brick and mortar stores and some on internet vendors. Those sold reasonably quick, I should have bought one then. I spoke to Sig in April, they were planning to go back into production in May. Here we are now in August and Sig has them back in stock. I believe Sig wants to benefit from the first wave of sales, and will then make them more readily available to there vendors. At that point, I would expect some competitive sales.
    Sig may take a CC from Maryland and ship out of state, there are other internet stores that will NOT do this. This is the route that I would choose, if ordering one.
    If you would like to discuss, in further detail, PM me and I'll reply with my cell number.
    Good luck.

That's the shop I went to. If he told you to order online I guess he didn't know you are a MD resident.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    If I can order it from a shop in VA then is it illegal for me to purchase from the website and have it shipped to somewhere in PA or VA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom