Anyone have a gun chronograph and access to a range that allows them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock357

Oct 18, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    I bought a new mechtech C.C.U to convert my Glock 22 to a .357 sig 16 inch barrel rifle. I tested it at my local indoors range in Rockville and its really cool and accurate.

I have a few boxes of Grizzly cartridge ammo for it claiming 1900 fps out of a 4 inch barrel for 90 grain bullet. I am wondering how much faster the bullet gets out of the 16 inch barrel?

Is anyone that have a chronograph and access to a range that permits them, interested in helping me test it?

Thanks.

Glock357

Oct 18, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    This link might be useful. It appears to be real-world data.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357sig.html

BTW, how do you like the Mechtech? Is it heavy?

(And welcome to MDS!)
    Thanks for the link.

The Ccu is a very interesting concept. It's not very heavy, just the right amount to feel stable in your hands and to reduce recoil. By the way recoil is almost non existent when compared to a real rifle. I trained with a HK11, G3A4, AK47 with NATO 7.62 and those kick. It's very accurate with red dot sights and I get 3 inch groups standing position 50 feet. Now, I have to admit that I get better grouping with a .22, but then those are so light and without recoil. I think the greatest hindrance to accuracy is the Glock trigger. Rifle triggers have a smooth uniform pull and click vs. the glock where you have to overcome a threshold.

I checked out the ballistics by the inch site and one can get an idea of percent speed increase as a function of barrel length. The data the site reports were taken with a bolt action rifle where 100% of the energy goes to propel the bullet. My problem is that the Ccu is blowback action which absorbs some of the energy of the explosion. The second problem is that the lightest bullet for the .357 sig reported is 115 grains while the Grizzly cartridge bullet is 90 grains. These differences make it hard to estimate the speed increase from a 4 inch barrel (1900fps) to 16 inch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom