• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you have another person, you can do this with a semi-auto too. I'd load 1 round, hand them the pistol, they'd shoot as I watched the muzzle, then I'd either load 1 round again, or feign to load a round without their knowledge, prep the pistol to make it appear loaded, and have them take another "shot". The first non-shot takes them by surprise and they can feel the anticipation as the move during the trigger pull.

Just don't use an XD9.

Those sneaky Croatians put a loaded chamber indicator on top of the slide.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Sometimes I get "target panic," when I'm about to execute the shot - Try to relax...take three deep breaths, and on the third one --- exhale two-thirds through your mouth and take the shot before 9 seconds. If you don't do it under 9 seconds --- redo the breathing sequence.

For rapid fire: you'll have to breathe in spurts between shots. If your vision becomes blurred --- you're possibly not breathing enough, because your not getting enough oxygenated blood to your retinas. But don't hyperventilate, cuz you might pass out on the firing line, if you'll hold your breath for too long --- which some shooters have been known to do.

Don't try to "snatch" the shot, with the sights over the bullseye for a split-second. Accept the sight wobble {the wobble zone will shrink with enough practice} and go Zen.

Try to have more of a bone to bone contact {instead of muscle to bone contact} in you're shooting stance.

You've seen Olympic swimmers shaking there own hands and feet just before a race event --- That's a practice that relieves muscle tension in the human body --- Works well with shooters too.

Good luck...

Erno

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    When I was cutting my bullseye shooting teeth a world class bullseye gunsmith/shooter shot in the league. Absolutely one of the very best shooters I ever met. Anyway I approached him about learning to shoot better. He held up "The Pistol Shooter's Treasury" and said, "Buy this book and a spotting scope". I did and used both. Still do both in some form today.

The book is old, lots of the shooters writing the articles have passed on now. But shooting hasn't changed in the 35 years since I took those first steps.

Best way to sum it up. Sight alignment, trigger squeeze and follow through, and calling your shots.

ATBackpackin

Mar 27, 2016
    Phoenixville, PA
    These can be helpful, I would print them out and use them for a target. They are for right handed shooter so if you are left handed adjust accordingly.

Also having someone load live rounds and snap caps can really show you your anticipation.

Shawn

Attachments

• Shot-Analysis-Right-Hand-orange.jpg
      Shot-Analysis-Right-Hand-orange.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 280

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    .380's usually have much more recoil than 9mm's because the .380's are almost all straight blowback and the 9's are some kind of locked action with delayed slide action.

Dryfire practice is #1 ... but I'd ask exactly where your shots are grouping on the wheel above. Some patterning can be broght more to center with changes to grip, other pattern placemenst call for other remedies.

ATBackpackin

Mar 27, 2016
    Phoenixville, PA
    .380's usually have much more recoil than 9mm's because the .380's are almost all straight blowback and the 9's are some kind of locked action with delayed slide action.

That has been my experience as well. I don't own any .380's but have shot some of my friends and I also have a PA-63. All of those have significantly more felt recoil than my Kahr CW9.

Dryfire practice is #1 ... but I'd ask exactly where your shots are grouping on the wheel above. Some patterning can be broght more to center with changes to grip, other pattern placemenst call for other remedies.

That's part of the reason I posted that. Trigger control and recoil anticipation are different and therefore have different remedies as you pointed out. Dry firing can help with developing muscle memory, but won't help with the psychological aspect of knowing that you are firing a live round.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What do you mean "bullseye" class? Basic shooting instruction? Because if you are "bullseye shooting" then you need to get over recoil before going any further into "bullseye" accuracy shooting.

Charts suck. They don't help with recoil. Let me ask you this....... is recoil different every single shot or does it do the same thing over and over? Same thing, right? So you know what is going to happen. You need to shoot. Just shoot to get to know the recoil. Don't worry about aiming and all the other crap. Trigger control has ZILCH to do with recoil.
    You won't "tame" all the recoil either. New shooter, the biggest obstacle is GETTING USED to the recoil. No new shooter will have the mechanics of grip, sights, trigger control, breathing, etc... that everyone is saying here. The only thing you can start out doing as those other mechanics get better, is getting used to the recoil and what it does. That requires zero instruction, just experimentation. Trying to do all that other stuff right out of the starting gate just diminishes your concentration on those things. Baby steps.

It doesn't take long. That's the problem with marginal to bad "instructors". They fill a new shooter's plate up(incorrectly usually) and it all cannot be digested that fast.

ATBackpackin

Mar 27, 2016
    Phoenixville, PA
    Charts aren't a magic button and won't fix the problem, but they can help identify the problem. He was told his trigger control was bad due to anticipating the recoil, however we don't know if this is what's really happening and that may be where a chart could help.

I absolutely agree about overloading new shooters with too much which can frustrate or simply make it too much like work to enjoy. The last thing you want a newer shooter to do is lose interest, well besides shooting someone accidentally. The only problem I have with just shooting with zero technique is a newer shooter could develop really bad habits that will be twice as hard to correct once instilled.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Charts aren't a magic button and won't fix the problem, but they can help identify the problem. He was told his trigger control was bad due to anticipating the recoil, however we don't know if this is what's really happening and that may be where a chart could help.

I absolutely agree about overloading new shooters with to much which can frustrate or simply make it too much like work to enjoy. The last thing you want a newer shooter to do is lose interest, well besides shooting someone accidentally. The only problem I have with just shooting with zero technique is a newer shooter could develop really bad habits that will be twice as hard to correct once instilled.

How someone can diagnose bad trigger control when someone is anticipating recoil is beyond me. So there's that....

IF charts work so well, then we don't need instructors. The chart tells all. Ugh.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Agreed.

I don't think that's what I said, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

I would agree that if someone is "instructing" someone and that "instructor" has to refer to a chart, well I would say that instructor himself needs a bit of instructing. Or at least gobs more shooting experience.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Yes, bullseye shooting. Basics are the same. Still need to cope with recoil. I shot a National Match course at the beginning of every shooting practice even when getting into Hunter's Pistol and speed shooting events. Best tool out there. Problem with shooting just to get used to recoil is other bad habits develop. The shooting chart has credibilty and should be used as a tool, not as an instructor. The OP would do much better, with or with out instruction, to fire 25 good, focused shots in an hour than blast out 100 "getting used to recoil". The recoil is there anyway so he might as well learn to shoot while learning to cope and manage recoil. When the OP gets to shooting a string of shots, it is still one shot at a time - just closer together.

Dry firing is a great tool and I, amoung many here and elsewhere, live it. However, if the trigger is just being pulled and the sights not really watched, bad habits can still develop. At the beginning of each range session early in learning to shoot, dry fire 10 times or so, then go live. The range time paid for is much less expensive than ammo to break negative shooting behaviors.

One other thing...stay away from video shooting games.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    There's a pretty good chance it has nothing to do with your trigger press and much more to do with your grip, especially of your support hand. Your finger is pretty small in relation to the rest of both of your hands +wrists. If you have a proper grip, your trigger finger shouldn't be able to move the gun much when you press the trigger back. Look to fix your grip issues, including having the correct squeeze with your palms and tension on the back of your shooting-hand wrist.

As far as anticipating recoil, pick up some snap-caps. Have someone randomly load them in to your mags and hand them to you. As you shoot, when you get to the snap cap you'll quickly be aware of where the front sight goes as the *click* comes instead of the *bang*. It'll also give you the chance to work on clearing malfunctions and getting the gun back up. Make sure you're following through your shot so that if you fire once, you have a sight picture...*bang*....sight picture. Twice, you'd have three sight pictures and so on.

I'd also recommend continuing to seek out professional firearm instruction. Practice makes permanent. That includes dry-fire practice. Dry-fire isn't a solution by itself, you need to be doing correct practice when dry firing for it to be of any benefit. It also won't really help condition you to recoil.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I agree, snap caps are a great idea, mixed randomly in your magazines. Pay attention to what you're doing while holding your sight picture. Your grip is sort of a set and forget; the last thing you want to do is make any change in your grip just before firing. Your concentration should be on holding your sight picture as you're increasing the straight back pressure on the trigger. The gun is not going anywhere. Just concentrate on the sight picture, steadily increasing pressure on the trigger and just let things happen. Take your time, you can speed up once you've developed good habits.

Ian

Dontre member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Damascus-ish
    Also, instead the end of the deliberate sequence, of each shot, being "bang" make the end of the sequence re-acquiring the target.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    How someone can diagnose bad trigger control when someone is anticipating recoil is beyond me. So there's that....

IF charts work so well, then we don't need instructors. The chart tells all. Ugh.

This is exactly why I was curious about what OP "heard" when mention was made of "trigger control" in the same sentence with "recoil anticipation". Makes me cringe when I hear the two "technical" terms used together. I think new shooters don't grasp this explanation. They hear "trigger control" and think they're doing something wrong with their trigger finger.

Most people are visual learners. What can REALLY be an eye opener is for a new shooter to watch another new shooter. What they'll oftentimes see is new folks anticipating muzzle rise, and instinctively and oftentimes very dramatically pulling the handgun down to counteract recoil and muzzle rise just a split second before the trigger breaks. Sometimes, the tendency is SO pronounced that shots are actually hitting the ground in front of a target, even if set 7 yards away, and at eye level height. And the new shooter has absolutely no idea it's happening. All he knows is he can't find his shot on target.

Once you SEE this, you can forget the misleading terminology, and understand what's happening. From there, it's about shooting, while learning to overcome a natural beginners tendency to want to fight a war with the handgun.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    People. You need to tell me how dry firing helps someone get used to recoil/and or taming it? Pretty sure that's what the OP is about. There is ZERO recoil in dry firing. Dry firing helps someone keep "front sight and smooth trigger". If someone cannot get used to the recoil and learn how to ignore the blast and "work with it" i.e... resetting the sight picture after each shot, that trigger work could be the best in the world, it ain't helping someone to not cringe when the gun goes off.

Knowing how your grip works with the recoil allows you to get back on the "bullseye" and your good, smooth trigger control keeps the sight there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom