• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    As mentioned, that map doesn't appear top be completely accurate. It won't stop me from getting the permit, and carrying where legal.

DC shenanigans not withstanding

I'm just waiting for the first criminal POS to get shot by a legal carrier and for the crime stats to go down.

What will the infringers say then?

+1:thumbsup:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'm looking forward to Alan Gottlieb posting a pic posing with the check signed by the D.C. Treasurer to reimburse the
    SAF's legal fees.

A few hundred thousand dollars could have paid for a lot of government benefit programs.

Join here: www.saf.org
    It's okay they are used to wasting taxpayer money.

They are setting aside big money to help defend illegals arrested by ICE. It's almost surreal to imagine something like this happening in the capital of any nation let alone this nation.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Not sure if it's been mentioned already, I would go ahead and get D.C. CC to join my other 30 some states however the map showing all the restricted areas looks like a damn booby trap. Maybe they will hope to make many examples out of law abiding cc holders within range of gov't buildings, parks, schools, etc

What I generally gather is the DC permit has no effect on Federal property. Where Federal property ends and DC public property begins is the question.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Not sure this was covered but any word on whether the training exemption would cover older training? I have 2 NRA classes plus range qualification, but they are 5-10 years old. Will they only accept new certifications? Have any of the current permit holders gotten the exemption with older forms of training?

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I'm just waiting for the first criminal POS to get shot by a legal carrier and for the crime stats to go down.
    What will the infringers say then?

You know what they will say, the press releases are already printed up for a willing press:

1) if it is anything short of a fully documented slam dunk self defense with the bad guy with ten prior murders eating a baby while shouting Allah Akbar and aiming a bazooka at the carrier, it will be the media theater we saw with Zimmerman. it will simply be about how DC is now the wild west thanks to the NRA

2) if DC violent crime rates don't change the story it will be how enabling concealed carry is proven to not reduce crime.

3) if DC violent crime rates do go down, it will be about how lower lead levels, abortion policy, and gentifrication are causing a decrease in crime

4) If violent crime rates rise it will be about how enabling carry increase crime, even if not one single concealed carrier commits a violent crime

5) Expect any story of any illegal carrier now killing or shooting someone to be simply a "concealed carrier."

Seriously we know how the majority of crimes prevented are going to be: Dark street, walking you dog or coming back from parking your car mugging attempt with a lethal weapon such as knife, screwdriver etc, or attempted car hijacking etc where the CCL is going to show the firearm and the bad guy is going to run. Are you going to report it? Be cuffed for a safety check? what if it is the one in a thousand times you may have 10+1 plus 10 instead of plus 9; or 6+1 plus 7 plus 7 instead of plus 6?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Not sure if it's been mentioned already, I would go ahead and get D.C. CC to join my other 30 some states however the map showing all the restricted areas looks like a damn booby trap. Maybe they will hope to make many examples out of law abiding cc holders within range of gov't buildings, parks, schools, etc

The map is based on what I believe to be a misinterpretation of D.C. Law.

Don't let that stop you from applying for a D.C. Permit.

If I'm wrong, which I never am, at least you will have protection from possessing loose spent casings or globs of lead.

Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    A few hundred thousand dollars could have paid for a lot of government benefitprograms.[/QUOTE said:
    The national budget is ~$4 trillion. A few hundred thousand dollars won't even show up in the footnotes.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    He's referring to the DC budget, not the Federal Govt.

Think of all the welfare checks they could have cut with that money.

:sad20:

Last edited:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Fantastic, My training was July 2015. :sad20:

So anyone know must I take the entire course over again? This would effect a few others here as well.

The way I read the statute the 2 year training threshold does not apply (necessarily) to one seeking the training exemption:

(c) Evidence of completion or intent to complete the firearms training requirements in § 2336 by:
    (1) Proof of the applicant's completion of a firearm training course within the past two (2) years in the manner pre-scribed by the Chief in § 2336;
    (2) Support for the applicant's request for an exemption from the firearm training course requirement as permitted by the Act; or
    (3) If the applicant chooses to seek a preliminary approval pursuant to § 2339, then the applicant shall certify that he or she will provide proof of completion of the firearms training requirements within forty-five (45) days of the Chief's provisional approval of the application pursuant to § 2339;

If you applied and were turned down for lack of cause I would think you would be among the first to get that exemption. My training is older and I never applied, so my situation would be a bit different.
    Then there's also the possibility the chief won't go for any training over the 2 year mark.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't think he's asking for an exemption. His training is stale but there is a possibility because he applied before his previous training may be accepted. He's waiting on a call back fom MPDC.

I think having a CCW from another state also helps those asking for an exemption. We have been told it's being done on a case by case basis.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Crossposted due to relevance:
    66bb2a8a468c18f5c0d8d59b4a9938d3.jpg

https://crimeresearch.org/2017/10/d...-effectively-ban-anyone-legally-carrying-gun/

The biggest gun free zone in DC is EVERY private residence. Unless the owner gives you permission all private homes are off limits.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I don't think he's asking for an exemption. His training is stale but there is a possibility because he applied before his previous training may be accepted. He's waiting on a call back fom MPDC.

I think having a CCW from another state also helps those asking for an exemption. We have been told it's being done on a case by case basis.

Sort of like, we know it when we see it!

Would like to know if anyone took the exemption route and what training they submitted.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Sort of like, we know it when we see it!

Would like to know if anyone took the exemption route and what training they submitted.

I'm going to apply with the training exemption after I take a law class at the end of the month.

i'll let you know how it turns out.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The DC page at handgunlaw has been updated with all the latest info, including AG FAQ link, and a link to te DC Alcohol license page to show exemptions for restaurant and hotels. Parking lot data updated as well.

The map will be updated shortly

Attachments

• dc.pdf
      309.1 KB · Views: 258

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The biggest gun free zone in DC is EVERY private residence. Unless the owner gives you permission all private homes are off limits.

DC is not in any way alone in that, examples:
    Louisiana:
    R.S. 40:1379.3 ... shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.
    South Carolina:
    A Concealable Weapons Permit (CWP) holder is prohibited from carrying a handgun at these locations:
    Into a private residence without permission of owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate (Section 23-31-225)(Misdemeanor - $1000 and/or 1 year imprisonment)

There are also addition jurisdictions where the law does not say you have to ask permission first, but does say you must inform first, which is virtually the same thing from a practical perspective.

Frankly in places like DC this law doesn't do any harm and has no impact for me

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I always find it amusing that people think their 2A rights not only extends into someone else's private property, but that it carries more weight than private property rights

Just like this forum, their house, their rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom