• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Hey fellers got a DMR question for everyone. I picked up a MD-380 DMR radio just to play with and sort of to see how well it worked in general. I got an ID from DMR-MARC and started looking for repeater info. From what I gather using repeaterbook, TMARC and DMR-MARC, It seems that there are only 6 active systems in MD (Towson, Ashton, Ocean City, Damascus, Princess Anne, and Rockville). Do these sound right? I have a few talkgroups put in but want to make sure I have all the applicable ones that I might need, and noticed that the TG info is missing from a number of those repeater listings on the various sites, and some info as far as Time Slot and TG numbers seem to vary.

So in short, any good leads on the TGs to have, the repeaters to have and any other helpful info.

Mark
    Google k4usd to see his network site which has most of the talkgroups listed. Most of the repeaters around here use his cbridge to link their repeaters.

I work on the Ashton repeater, so can help you if you want to pm me

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    What is the easy way to remember the relationship of frequency to length? Did I ask that correctly?
    147.105 is in what band - formula? Thanks

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What is the easy way to remember the relationship of frequency to length? Did I ask that correctly?
    147.105 is in what band - formula? Thanks

300 / Frequency_in_Mega_Hertz = Wavelength_in_Meters

This does not always line up with the defined bands but will be close.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks, I don't feel right just remembering the questions and answers to take a test so ... I'm still trying, busy summer which is great!

It's actually a better way to learn. You memorize a few formulas versus multiple answers.

But like I said, it will get you close but I remember on one question in the question pool (for which pool I forget) it had a question like, which of these frequencies is in the n meter band.

Two of the answers were in the band if you did the conversion, but one was just outside the Band Plan defined upper edge so you just had to memorize it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    It's actually a better way to learn. You memorize a few formulas versus multiple answers.

But like I said, it will get you close but I remember on one question in the question pool (for which pool I forget) it had a question like, which of these frequencies is in the n meter band.

Two of the answers were in the band if you did the conversion, but one was just outside the Band Plan defined upper edge so you just had to memorize it.

What is the national calling frequency for FM Simplex operations in the 70 cm band?
    a)446.000
    b)146.520
    c)145.000
    d)432.100

Chose a) 432 is below I believe. Funny you mentioned that.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What is the national calling frequency for FM Simplex operations in the 70 cm band?
    a)446.000
    b)146.520
    c)145.000
    d)432.100

Chose a) 432 is below I believe. Funny you mentioned that.

The question I was thinking of was in the HF bands and may not even be part of the pool any more.

432.100 is in band (420-450) but is listed as a 70cm "calling frequency" in the ARRL band plan.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Tomorrow and into Sunday is another annual Field Day.

Clubs and individual Amateurs practice working under emergency conditions.

This is a great opportunity to try out operating a station even if you are unlicensed. Many area clubs have an open door policy to these events and will allow and even encourage you to use their equipment under a licensed control operator.

Check out your local club's website. They may be operating from a remote location for this event.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Quick question - Buddy picked up two Vertex Standard 16 ch radios(storage container find), well used, I see them cheap on ebay but what channels might they be programmed for or are they worth having for some reason? will he need a license? model VX-351-G7-5 no display.
    PS- still studying, having a good busy summer :) but enjoying the challenge.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Tonight on 40m kind of stinks, but I had several US-based contacts this past week, with 100 watts and a dipole on my roof, here in Korea. My furthest-out was Alabama. Heck of a week for 40m!

I QSO'd with AG6X, AF6TC, K6KZE, WU6W, K7UI, AK7KV, and W4DJL (twice for him, in Alabama, and he heard me a 3rd).

BTW, I purchased a new Elecraft KX2. Should be here this week.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Quick question - Buddy picked up two Vertex Standard 16 ch radios(storage container find), well used, I see them cheap on ebay but what channels might they be programmed for or are they worth having for some reason? will he need a license? model VX-351-G7-5 no display.

These are business radios. Not really any use on the Amateur frequencies.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

More than likely since they are business band radios they are now programmed in the business band.

Yes, you need a license to operate them.

The model number indicates they can operate from 450-512 Mhz which is outside the amateur bands.

Those limits include the FRS/GMRS frequencies. I have no idea if it would be legal to program in those frequencies and operate them there or if they would conform to power limitations on that service.

You can read someone elses opinion on it here but I am definitely not endorsing this idea.

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2012/06/using_a_business_radio_for_gmrs.aspx

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Tonight on 40m kind of stinks, but I had several US-based contacts this past week, with 100 watts and a dipole on my roof, here in Korea. My furthest-out was Alabama. Heck of a week for 40m!

I QSO'd with AG6X, AF6TC, K6KZE, WU6W, K7UI, AK7KV, and W4DJL (twice for him, in Alabama, and he heard me a 3rd).

I know several people who have KX3's and are very happy with them. KX2 seems like it's designed to be more of a portable QRP rig than the KX3 was.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware

Nice contacts for a dipole and 100 watts. I miss 40 meters. Probably my favorite band, but I have no way to put up an antenna for it. Always enjoyed working RTTY on that band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom