• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland_DKB

Nov 9, 2011
    MoCo
    I have a GLOCK 19 that I am a huge fan of and after a trigger job, steel guide rod, night sights and the newest edition a 6 ounce mag well I thought she would be perfect.

One problem though after the latest install of the magwell I have been having mag issues. I understand due to the magwell I am going to need to slam it home a little more but I found that after about 5 shots the mag would release and literally fall out. I first thought it was operated error but even when I made sure it was in correctly I still had this issue. To make the connection properally it took such force that I bruised my hand and yet still had this same issue. I can't imagine that just because of the magwell I should be having this issue.

Any one had this happen to them? Thoughts? Most importantly: solutions.

Thanks

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    The only unreliable Glocks are "tuned" Glocks.

It's the magwell. I'm guessing it adds just enough length to the base of the factory magwell so that the mag catch doesn't engage properly. You may be able to get it to work by dremeling the crap out of the magwell to relieve it a bit. I don't know. It sounds like it's definitely the magwell.

Are you trying to build a race Glock?

Maryland_DKB

Nov 9, 2011
    MoCo
    I was just making "upgrades" for the fun of it. I really only use it for running around at the range I built out in the woods. Otherwisw it had no expressed need to be a "race gun" I just liked each mod so I kept going for the fun it it. Now though its no fun at all ARG.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    send it back to the factory, have it reset to perfect and then go about shooting it for a few tens of thousands of worry-free rounds.

...this guy don't need no stinkin magwell on his glock....

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Try it without the Magwell. I'd remove one part at a time until it starts working. Then, you'll know what's the culprit.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Try it without the Magwell. I'd remove one part at a time until it starts working. Then, you'll know what's the culprit.

sounds like the magwell is putting downward pressure on the magazine and not allowing the mag catch to fully engage in the cutout. If he pays close attention to where the magwell is contacting the floor plate of the magazines and relieves it to allow full insertion, his problem should go away. have you tried shooting g17 mags through it with this setup to see if they have the same problem?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The only unreliable Glocks are "tuned" Glocks.

It's the magwell. I'm guessing it adds just enough length to the base of the factory magwell so that the mag catch doesn't engage properly. You may be able to get it to work by dremeling the crap out of the magwell to relieve it a bit. I don't know. It sounds like it's definitely the magwell.

Are you trying to build a race Glock?

Like Chad has said, once Glocks get played with the way 1911s have, the reliability goes out the door.

Maryland_DKB

Nov 9, 2011
    MoCo
    Never had a signal issue before the magwell but even so I unfortunately love the feel of the magwell on the gun so at this point I am guessing I am due to visit the good ole gun smith to fix my woes. That said this experience will defiantly keep me from fooling with any other GLOCKS or other handguns for that matter

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Magwell is likely hitting the base plate ridges on the side. The well likely just needs to be recut to eliminate contact or just switch to G17 mags that are longer and wont touch the mag well and skip the gunsmith.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    There is a reason it is called
    landing_logo.gif

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    That said this experience will defiantly keep me from fooling with any other GLOCKS or other handguns for that matter

Nothing wrong with tinkering, just know that there is very likely risk your "improvement" will cause a reduction in reliability if not a full failure of some sort.

The only things I tinker with on pistols is sights and grips and routine part replacement (recoil springs, etc.) Outside of that it's either going to a gunsmith or staying stock. Pistols that fail to function due to some sort of flaw as purchased will quickly find themselves on the way out the door. Some are easier to do home 'smithing in terms of maintenance. I have found almost all of the parts of the Glock lineup can be one-for-one replaced with a new factory part so stuff like extractors are straight-forward. Pistols like the 1911 require tuning for almost every part which will be left a qualified professional (and one of the reasons I don't really favor the platform for "social duty".)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The Magwell is likely hitting the base plate ridges on the side. The well likely just needs to be recut to eliminate contact or just switch to G17 mags that are longer and wont touch the mag well and skip the gunsmith.

....echo...echo....echo.....;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom