Gun ranges in/near Charles County (bring own ammo)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmg32

Aug 25, 2017
    New gun owner here. Did my renting and test firing at Fred's, since it's close to where I live. However, with their crazy ammo markup, I don't see this as a good option for range shooting going forward. I see MD Small Arms in Upper Marlboro lets you bring your own ammo.

Any other good options in/near the White Plains area?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Myrle Grove , MSAR, for walk-in . Sanners Lake for a full service Club , has multi-year wait list for membership .

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Myrle Grove , MSAR, for walk-in . Sanners Lake for a full service Club , has multi-year wait list for membership .

Myrtle Grove :thumbsup: $5 a day $20 per Year, 8 lanes, 100 yards, open air. Negative, No shade or rain cover, no Range Safety Officers, or adult supervision. Sometimes you have to deal with Yahoos or Ass hats, but not bad a little rustic.

Last edited:

jmg32

Aug 25, 2017
    Thanks for the tips on Myrtle Grove. Hadn't heard of that one. How will that one work for setting your target up? I guess everyone in all lanes has to stop shooting each time someone set their target up?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Thanks for the tips on Myrtle Grove. Hadn't heard of that one. How will that one work for setting your target up? I guess everyone in all lanes has to stop shooting each time someone set their target up?

Yep

Everyone normally agrees to go cold. When cold no one should be touching their firearms, when others are down range.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Yes, everyone has to agree on the ceasefire to change targets. Sometimes you have asshats who have to fidget with their guns while people are downrange. I don't like being there if more than 3 lanes are in use.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes - In SMC
    No - Not affiliated with Izak Walton League.

But they do have a fishing lake on the grounds .

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    better during the week bring your own target they have wood stands for to mount to and close ? pins

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Myrtle Grove is about the only place I go to shoot, but weekends and/or good weather you will likely have to wait in line for a table.
    Also some very inexperienced and unsafe people seem to go there. I try to only go on weekdays in bad weather when there will be few if any people. Witnessed way too many idiots there for me to want to go anymore on weekends or when it's busy. One guy started walking downrange when people were shooting. Another guy almost blew his own foot off with a .50 caliber revolver with a hang fire spraying the whole firing line with pebbles when the bullet hit the ground right in front of him. Going to public ranges really makes me envy those with their own private shooting spots.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    There is always MSAR up by Andrews off the 495 beltway good place to shoots indoors, Pistol and rife ranges, have to use soft ammo, mil-sup out unless its copper or lead, has gun rental target indoors you has to deal with the want to be gangster from time to time but for the most part I would go there before Fred's in Waldorf. Cost and attitude are the main reasons, MSAR has some good people working there no issues with the owners there were at one time IP's on MDS but they have a lot of money tied to these range only one in the area, used by Leos and firearms trainers as will as special police who have to qualify to carry. Price are not great for transfers but shooting prices are not bad, Check it out :thumbsup:

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    Myrtle Grove is about the only place I go to shoot, but weekends and/or good weather you will likely have to wait in line for a table.
    Also some very inexperienced and unsafe people seem to go there. I try to only go on weekdays in bad weather when there will be few if any people. Witnessed way too many idiots there for me to want to go anymore on weekends or when it's busy. One guy started walking downrange when people were shooting. Another guy almost blew his own foot off with a .50 caliber revolver with a hang fire spraying the whole firing line with pebbles when the bullet hit the ground right in front of him. Going to public ranges really makes me envy those with their own private shooting spots.

I’m trying to get up enough nerve to go – to Myrtle Grove, that is. I used to go there quite a bit. After a while though, my luck ran out. Things got pretty scary at times because the place is unmonitored (for example, some people were shooting or pointing gun down range while the range was cold and people were down range.) I hope to get down there one day soon though.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    I’m trying to get up enough nerve to go – to Myrtle Grove, that is. I used to go there quite a bit. After a while though, my luck ran out. Things got pretty scary at times because the place is unmonitored (for example, some people were shooting or pointing gun down range while the range was cold and people were down range.) I hope to get down there one day soon though.

Well I was there yesterday and Dan said they might be banning bmg's , and military grade ammo in the near future along with possibly having a range officer there.

My biggest complaint is people don't follow the damn rules 1 hour range time of people are waiting , no children without hunter safety card (and yes I've been there when a couple tried bringing there baby down ) I take my son there for him to sight in his 22 and sometimes I feel he is safer to be around than some of the others there and he's 12.

If people would follow the rules the place would be great

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom