• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 20ravens52

Mar 21, 2016
    Long Green
    Over the past year, my Dad has tried acquiring a handgun and a shotgun and has been denied both times by the MSP. It is being rejected due to an physical altercation he had in the late 1960's where charges were pressed from the private counterparty, but the charges were later expunged from his record in the early 70's. I'm trying to figure out what his options are (if any) to be able to acquire a home defense firearm.

I just find the whole situation to be maddening and unconstitutional, since my Dad is nearing 70 years old and has never had any other type of legal issue other than this.:mad54:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If he knows that his Father is prohibited (rightly or wrongly) and he does this he could find himself in deep s***. Probably not a good idea.

If the story is true - if it's just a paperwork screwup - then there's nothing wrong with the OP gifting his father a shotgun. He isn't really prohibited.

I'm not doing it for him; I'm offering a valid suggestion that doesn't involve a lot of waiting or paperwork. Of course, if dear old Dad isn't being completely open about his earlier issues, well, that's different, and I'm not a lawyer.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Confused here. If it was properly expunged, it shouldn't have shown up in a search.

Unless the local authorities just forgot to pass the adjudication/expungement along to the Feds. Like because it was 5 p.m. on a Friday before vacay. Or because coffee was more important. Or just because...

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Confused here. If it was properly expunged, it shouldn't have shown up in a search.

You are dealing with an issue from 1960. It could be anything from a computer issue, a computer not getting upgraded, a lazy employee, or a simple mistake. Computers weren't even used when the case was handled. It's all be converted and added.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Over the past year, my Dad has tried acquiring a handgun and a shotgun and has been denied both times by the MSP. It is being rejected due to an physical altercation he had in the late 1960's where charges were pressed from the private counterparty, but the charges were later expunged from his record in the early 70's. I'm trying to figure out what his options are (if any) to be able to acquire a home defense firearm.

I just find the whole situation to be maddening and unconstitutional, since my Dad is nearing 70 years old and has never had any other type of legal issue other than this.:mad54:

Was the altercation in MD?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Or buy him a shotgun for his birthday.

NO
    In order to legally give a gift or sell a gun you must believe the person is not prohibited or have no reason to believe the person is prohibited. He KNOWS his father is prohibited, two attempts to purchase where DENIED and he has posted on the internet that he is denied. This screams straw purchase and the MSP officer who monitors this website undoubtedly just creamed his shorts reading this thread and being able to finally justify his job.

OP Get a lawyer or attempt to sort this out on behalf of your father.

swimtb

Jul 17, 2013
    crofton area
    Can he legally borrow a shotgun? If so, why not just lend one to him....that he likes and would have picked out if he could legally own it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom