• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm late in the season I know. I need a lawn mower tune up in Montgomery County. Sparks plugs, sharp blades, overall once over.

Any suggestions.

I was thinking of running over to true value in burtonsville but if anyone has a decent place I'd appreciate hearing about it. Lawn mower runs great so really don't want a 6 week turn around, hoping for 2 weeks at most.

THANKS!

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    It's still winter !!!

Seriously though, a neighbor of mine does small engine/mower work out of his garage. I'll see if he's open for business yet

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks Alan

And boom boom i only have a little over a 1/3 acre so it’s a toro self propelled push mower. Takes me like 30 mins. I love it, after 3 primes she starts every time.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I went to take mine last year and was told 3 weeks so I went on YouTube and did a search and looked easy enough so off to Home Depot for a tune up kit that had air filter, oil and spark plug and picked up a new blade. Simple and took about 30 minutes or so. Mine is aToro too.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Friend hasn't called back. I think he's still hibernating.

Sounds like a waste of money/time to take it anywhere though. I have a mower like yours- couple primer pumps and fires right up. Took it over to my friends house at beginning of last year and he says "what else do you want ?" Unless it starts running rough MAYBE change the oil but for as little as you use it oil is probably good for a decade. Air filter just blow out with your mouth if you feel like it, but likely doesn't need it. Unless blade is rough for some reason probably doesn't need to be touched either. They don't need to be razor sharp to do the job well and even it was it wouldn't stay that way for long. Spark plug, same deal, it'll probably "never" go bad. If it's firing properly leave it alone.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Friend hasn't called back. I think he's still hibernating.

Sounds like a waste of money/time to take it anywhere though. I have a mower like yours- couple primer pumps and fires right up. Took it over to my friends house at beginning of last year and he says "what else do you want ?" Unless it starts running rough MAYBE change the oil but for as little as you use it oil is probably good for a decade. Air filter just blow out with your mouth if you feel like it, but likely doesn't need it. Unless blade is rough for some reason probably doesn't need to be touched either. They don't need to be razor sharp to do the job well and even it was it wouldn't stay that way for long. Spark plug, same deal, it'll probably "never" go bad. If it's firing properly leave it alone.

I didn’t get it serviced last year and I am a lawn nazi (just trying to shame my neighbors) so although it might not NEED it, I don’t thing 120 bucks is going to break me for preventive maintenance lol. If he is open and he gets you back I’d be interested. I know I can do it myself but with the kid and wife having an opposite sechedule time is an issue for me. With all my other home projects, I’d rather drop it off then paint and get my pictures framed vs working on a lawn mower.

I love projects and tinkering but I HATE unfinished things so I’ll contract this one out

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With 3 acres to mow , each cutting of the Biggfoot Estate is equivalent to a season for a lot of suburbanites , and takes a fleet of mowers to keep one always ready to go .

Per my observations , and per my mower repair guy , the single biggest problem is carbs gummed up by ethonol gas . Run them dry each mowing , and only use fresh gas, ie you bought same day you use it . Pour any left over in can into your car . Otherwise religously use gas stabilizer and ethanol treatment.

Yes you should change oil every season, if only for the condensation . I need plug changes at least once , sometimes twice a season.

By the time most people think they need blade sharpened , enough is worn away to be out of balance , and need replacing anyway.

The cost of servicing is close to half the cost of a basic non- name brand push mower . Most mower repair guys will have several used mowers already serviced for sale for about the price of a servicing .

( Here's an opportunity for a side business . Crap loads of mowers are thrown away that only need an oil change , tune up, and carb rebuild . In the old days occasionally a coil , but modern ignitions usually outlive the mower . But before bashing too many owners , the cost of a tune up , plus 2-6 week wait during growing season , frequently make replacement a rational decision . )

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I just called true value in burtonsville.....70 bucks for blades sharpened, new plug, air filter, oil change, carb check, and all parts lubed. The parts alone are 30. I think I’ll outsource like I said.

1 week turn around time.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I'm late in the season I know. I need a lawn mower tune up in Montgomery County. Sparks plugs, sharp blades, overall once over.

Any suggestions.

I was thinking of running over to true value in burtonsville but if anyone has a decent place I'd appreciate hearing about it. Lawn mower runs great so really don't want a 6 week turn around, hoping for 2 weeks at most.

THANKS!

Mechanics on Wheelz out of New Market. I had a problem with my snowblower. He came over to the house, diagnosed it (cracked engine block) took the info, ordered all necessary parts, came back and installed everything and it works like new now. He did it all on my back patio and I didn't have to take it anywhere.

https://local.yahoo.com/info-197201...YmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?viewtype=map

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom