• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Any thoughts on, or first hand knowledge of the durability of the Polymer80 frame over the long haul ( ie. after say after 10,000 rounds of 9mm). I've seen articles on torture testing of actual Glock pistols and they seem almost indestructible. Just wondering about the long term serviceability of the Polymer80 frame build.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Any thoughts on, or first hand knowledge of the durability of the Polymer80 frame over the long haul ( ie. after say after 10,000 rounds of 9mm). I've seen articles on torture testing of actual Glock pistols and they seem almost indestructible. Just wondering about the long term serviceability of the Polymer80 frame build.

Well, I've got 2,250-ish rounds through one of my P940V2 9mm frames, which was my first build, and has since become sort of a "test mule/break-in tool" for fitting slides and other parts for other P80 builds.

The frame itself shows no ill effects at all. I've opened up the pin holes a bit to the point where they're slightly loose now, but that's only because I've installed and removed the pins and rail blocks many, many dozens of times. A dab of JB Weld will renew the tightness of the pinholes.

There is essentially no wear at all on the frame itself, and if there were any real wear that will occur, it would've happened by now.

The things you need to use caution for when it comes to getting the maximum lifespan from the frame are the same for all plastics: keep UV light exposure to
    a minimum, no aggressive solvents or petroleums, don't expose it to high temps, or handle it in extremely low temps... just common sense stuff.

But you're very unlikely to wear it out just from shooting it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm not impressed with that deal. You can do it cheaper - and get better parts - by waiting for some sales.

MagCommander has the PF940C/V2 frames with LWD frame parts for $165 on sale regularly.
    Brownells regularly has slides on sale for $165-$175 shipped, with an RMR cut if you want it.
    MidwayUSA sells Swenson barrels for ~$90-$100, depending on whether you want it threaded.
    You can find slide parts kits for $90-$100 on eBay.

That's $520 and a couple hours of finishing/assembly for a Glock with a threaded barrel, an RMR cut, better internals, and a better frame. IMHO, that's an excellent deal.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'm not impressed with that deal. You can do it cheaper - and get better parts - by waiting for some sales.

MagCommander has the PF940C/V2 frames with LWD frame parts for $165 on sale regularly.
    Brownells regularly has slides on sale for $165-$175 shipped, with an RMR cut if you want it.
    MidwayUSA sells Swenson barrels for ~$90-$100, depending on whether you want it threaded.
    You can find slide parts kits for $90-$100 on eBay.

That's $520 and a couple hours of finishing/assembly for a Glock with a threaded barrel, an RMR cut, better internals, and a better frame. IMHO, that's an excellent deal.

Better parts? I'm not so sure about that. Nearly every review I have read by those using Lone Wolf parts had some issue that was ultimately resolved by going with Glock factory parts. Additionally, your deal requires lots of shopping around and hit or miss with sale prices, etc. Multiple shipping dates, possible shipping charges, etc. How much is your time worth?

My builds thus far have had high end slides/uppers so saving money and time is not my primary concern but for those that want a nearly ready to go gun delivered to their door with no hql, it's hard to beat.

That said, I did find a full Glock 19 build kit for $499 but I am not putting the link up because I am considering buying every one in stock,

hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    Better parts? I'm not so sure about that. Nearly every review I have read by those using Lone Wolf parts had some issue that was ultimately resolved by going with Glock factory parts. Additionally, your deal requires lots of shopping around and hit or miss with sale prices, etc. Multiple shipping dates, possible shipping charges, etc. How much is your time worth?

My builds thus far have had high end slides/uppers so saving money and time is not my primary concern but for those that want a nearly ready to go gun delivered to their door with no hql, it's hard to beat.

That said, I did find a full Glock 19 build kit for $499 but I am not putting the link up because I am considering buying every one in stock,

I think I just found the same place you found with the 499 build, now to get it before everyone else buys them up

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If these were once a year sales, I'd probably feel the same way, but we're talking once a month or so with these, and you can usually get notifications. That said, even if you were to go with Glock parts and a relatively-common $120 frame sale, you'd still be coming out ahead. To me, saving $60 and getting a TB and a RMR cut slide is well worth the extra time. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom