• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    It was not that enjoyable to read. It appears to be the same cookie cutter approach to the AWB ban that has been presented in other courts. With the exception of the 4th circuit, which the en banc is likely to correct, all other courts have upheld the ban. Looks like yet another loss because lawyers don't know how to argue a case.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    and it has been upheld by Regan appointed Judge . Glad I ate lunch before seeing it

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    He basically used the same idiotic "reasoning" as every other judge post Heller. Said that the legislature has full discretion to decide what to ban. The judges apply a level of scrutiny to the 2nd Amendment that they don't apply to any other Constitutional right. It's bad faith. There's nothing more to it.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    He basically used the same idiotic "reasoning" as every other judge post Heller. Said that the legislature has full discretion to decide what to ban. The judges apply a level of scrutiny to the 2nd Amendment that they don't apply to any other Constitutional right. It's bad faith. There's nothing more to it.

the worst part is where he says

Ar15 and its large cap magazines (he didn't say clip 2 points) were not in the original meaning of the 2nd amendment.

******** , will he say that the Internet was not the original intent of the 1st amendment

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    the worst part is where he says

Ar15 and its large cap magazines (he didn't say clip 2 points) were not in the original meaning of the 2nd amendment.

******** , will he say that the Internet was not the original intent of the 1st amendment

Exactly. It's not even worth trying to dissect a ruling when it's obviously in bad faith.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    There is no guarantee a republican appointee would be better. Judges are elitists, and tend to dismiss the idea that citizens should be as well armed as the govt.

This "judge " was appointed by Regan

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    There is no guarantee a republican appointee would be better. Judges are elitists, and tend to dismiss the idea that citizens should be as well armed as the govt.
    Bingo. SCOTUS is part of the tyranny - and we expect them to preserve the means to overthrow them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NoMoreTreadingOnUs

Apr 2, 2013
    Garrett County
    At the bottom of page 27 of the decision:

"Weapons that are most useful in military service, as Justice Scalia later observed, fall outside the scope of the Second Amendment and may be banned."

Can someone please direct me to a source for this claim? I understood the Miller decision and Scalia's reasoning in Heller to make the opposite point, i.e. that the right applies to those weapons used by the militia (you and me) aka those weapons in common use for lawful purposes.

Am I confused?

Ghostrider1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2009
    The PGC
    The judge quoted Feinstein butchering Scalia’s opinion in Heller, not the decision itself. From Heller:

It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service—M-16 rifles and the like—may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment ’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.

NoMoreTreadingOnUs

Apr 2, 2013
    Garrett County
    The judge quoted Feinstein butchering Scalia’s opinion in Heller, not the decision itself. From Heller:

It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service—M-16 rifles and the like—may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment ’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.

May be a distinction without a difference but the judge seems to reference Heller (and is that not how it’s supposed to work?) and at the top of page 28 goes on to state that the AR-15 falls outside the scope of the 2A.

Maybe at 53 I’m still naive, but shouldn’t reading comprehension and logical reasoning be minimum requirements to be a judge?

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    At the bottom of page 27 of the decision:

"Weapons that are most useful in military service, as Justice Scalia later observed, fall outside the scope of the Second Amendment and may be banned."

Can someone please direct me to a source for this claim? I understood the Miller decision and Scalia's reasoning in Heller to make the opposite point, i.e. that the right applies to those weapons used by the militia (you and me) aka those weapons in common use for lawful purposes.

Am I confused?

I thought miller said short barred (sawed off) shotguns could be banned BECAUSE they were not used by the military (militia). So I guess now if the military CAN use them the civilians can't? :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom