• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Calling all P38 and P1 experts.

Every to every other shot, the slide release is engaging as if the magazine were empty/last shot and the slide is being locked to the rear.

The slide release lip on the mag follower is fairly well chewed. Like it's in constant contact with the slide release bar inside the mag well.

My first thought was to bend that mag follower finger down a touch and try again.

Let's hear it.

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2012
    Make sure the spring is installed correctly on the slide release lever. There should be a hole in the end of the release lever that the spring fits in. At least that's how the WWII P.38's are. Never had a P1.

Does it lock or the slide release contact the slide at all without a mag inserted? If so that pesky spring is the problem for sure. If not, it could still be the spring if it's not installed correctly or is weak, allowing the release to bounce up under recoil.

Attachments

• 26s.JPG
      26s.JPG
      23.2 KB · Views: 160
    • 11s.JPG
      11s.JPG
      21.4 KB · Views: 149

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Strong spring installed correctly.

Trying another mag is a good idea.

Time to hit GB for one those almost horrifically scary 10 plus round magazines.

Luckily it's only a 9 round mag so the world won't go dark and kittens won't die bringing this mag into Maryland.

Jul 1, 2012
    The slide release lip on the mag follower is fairly well chewed. Like it's in constant contact with the slide release bar inside the mag well.

My first thought was to bend that mag follower finger down a touch and try again.

The bar on the right side of mag well is the ejector. There shouldn't be a slide release bar inside the mag well unless they completely redesigned the P1 vs early P38. The mag follower has a finger that directly contacts the slide release tab that sticks inside the frame similar to a 1911 (see pic above). If a round is loaded in the mag the follower is inside the mag body and not in contact with anything. Therefore the only way the follower could be an issue is if it fails to activate the release, not the other way around... unless I'm misinterpreting the description :)

Jul 1, 2012
    9 round mag? it's not a stock P1 mag then, should be 8 round.
    You're better off hitting Numrich for a stock P1 or P38 NOS mag. Get a few.
    I have a pile of them if you get desperate.
    Aftermarket mags are often cheap thin metal.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Fundamentals are not just for reading. They're for counting too. Stock Walther (8) round P1 mag.

Slide stop/release is on left side. Little finger on stop/inside mag well sits on top of little finger on follower. I think it's just engaging too soon.

I'm gunna bend that little sucker down some. Real P38 mags are 100 dolla. P1 mags are 25 dolla.

Thanks for the help all.

Jul 1, 2012
    The West German post-War P.38 mags are same price as the P1's. No real difference.
    Numrich had some that were $17-18 for a while, had some rust/cosmetic issues but mechanically fine. You can probably find similar on GB or eBay for $20 or so but the shipping always kills you. You're welcome to swing by here and we can run out back and try a few to see if that's the issue.

My only point with the follower was that with one or more rounds in the mag, the follower will not contact the slide release so that's not likely to be the problem if it's happening on every shot. Could be the mag feed lip is distorted or weak and possibly (rarely) the bullet itself is bouncing around and causing the slide release to engage.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The West German post-War P.38 mags are same price as the P1's. No real difference.
    Numrich had some that were $17-18 for a while, had some rust/cosmetic issues but mechanically fine. You can probably find similar on GB or eBay for $20 or so but the shipping always kills you. You're welcome to swing by here and we can run out back and try a few to see if that's the issue.

My only point with the follower was that with one or more rounds in the mag, the follower will not contact the slide release so that's not likely to be the problem if it's happening on every shot. Could be the mag feed lip is distorted or weak and possibly (rarely) the bullet itself is bouncing around and causing the slide release to engage.

You are correct, Sir. I didn't think that one all the way through. Duh on my part!

That stop has to be flying up on its own somehow. I thought maybe my thumb was hitting it so I made sure it wasn't.

Back to square one. Looking at the stop, I'm wondering if a bullet can catch that finger as the rounds are feeding up after each shot. I'm going to try hollow points and see if the short bullet nose slides past that finger.

p1 mag and fox 003.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    With the shape of the grip it's hard to have an "inadvertent thumb incident"
    Maybe it's just possessed. You should just give it to me :)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I think the bullets are moving forward in the magazine due to recoil. I think the bullets are the problem. I'm thinking just kiss the end of that finger with a file so the bullets slide on by, yet still make contact with the follower at last shot. Or pinch the feed lips in a little to keep the bullet from moving around. That's what I'm thinking.

bullet 001.JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    That does indeed look like the issue... shouldn't be seeing bullet "strike" marks that low on the feed ramp so maybe they're hitting the release and taking a nose-dive.
    You probably won't have much success with messing with the feed lips if it's an original mag, as they're tempered (or should be).
    Out of curiosity, what ammo are you using?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Try a different/new mag and see if it happens then?

9 round mag? it's not a stock P1 mag then, should be 8 round.
    You're better off hitting Numrich for a stock P1 or P38 NOS mag. Get a few.
    I have a pile of them if you get desperate.
    Aftermarket mags are often cheap thin metal.

Nine rd mag????? WTF?????

Get new mag and prob should be solved. Also sounds like weak mag spring too if you can get 9 rds in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom