• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Waiting for overboost44 to check in

Thanks Brian for your thoughts. I also want to give a huge thanks to Rack&Roll.

The man is truly a cross between the EverReady battery and the Energizer Bunny. He is always ready to lend a hand whether it be fighting for our rights (along with his posse) or helping a fellow man in need. Those of you that know him know the energy he carries with him wherever he goes. He was one of the first to call me outside of my family and closest friends. Within 2 hours he crossed the bridge and showed up with a generator, what seemed like two dozen extension cords, 3 house fans and about 25-30 gallons of gasoline.

I kind of got the feeling that he had done this before :rolleyes: He got us all set up to power the two fridge/freezers and to move some air. We had some quality time together and then he hit the road to see who else he could help in the area's of the truly needy.

I will own a generator in the near future so he won't have to help me again. Thank you brother. You truly helped make my day better.:party29:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks Brian for your thoughts. I also want to give a huge thanks to Rack&Roll.

The man is truly a cross between the EverReady battery and the Energizer Bunny. He is always ready to lend a hand whether it be fighting for our rights (along with his posse) or helping a fellow man in need. Those of you that know him know the energy he carries with him wherever he goes. He was one of the first to call me outside of my family and closest friends. Within 2 hours he crossed the bridge and showed up with a generator, what seemed like two dozen extension cords, 3 house fans and about 25-30 gallons of gasoline.

I kind of got the feeling that he had done this before :rolleyes: He got us all set up to power the two fridge/freezers and to move some air. We had some quality time together and then he hit the road to see who else he could help in the area's of the truly needy.

I will own a generator in the near future so he won't have to help me again. Thank you brother. You truly helped make my day better.:party29:

Awesome, glad you and yours are ok; R&R definitely knows what he's doing, that kind of selflessness and generosity is increasingly rare. Good on him and all like him.

There are a couple good threads about generators and there use, a few of us have some experience now too, feel free to ask away, and good luck!

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I live a block away from the worst damage in Bay City. We got the alert 3 minutes before it hit really hard. I grabbed my 1 and 3 year olds and headed downstairs. We have no basement due to the high water table here. We made it out with tree damage but Buckingham and Zaidee got hit extremely hard. It looks like a war zone. We got power back at 2 am this morning. I have tons of pics but cannot host them now. The community here is awesome. Everyone helping each other.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I live a block away from the worst damage in Bay City. We got the alert 3 minutes before it hit really hard. I grabbed my 1 and 3 year olds and headed downstairs. We have no basement due to the high water table here. We made it out with tree damage but Buckingham and Zaidee got hit extremely hard. It looks like a war zone. We got power back at 2 am this morning. I have tons of pics but cannot host them now. The community here is awesome. Everyone helping each other.

Wow.

Good on you, and lucky. Glad you were able to make it to safety. Nice to hear so many folks helping one another out.

I stumbled across this, might be of interest to others as much as it was to me:

MD_lowereastern.jpg

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm glad you made it out unscathed. I can't imagine the horror of waking up to something like this. It's always good to see a community come together when they are really needed. It would be nice if we were all this caring everyday.

Thank God you and your family are fine.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

My principal said the same. Everyones phones lit up around 1:30am with tornado warnings and then they got hit with crazy weather for about 25 minutes. He said water was rushing in through the doors and the roof was leaking where it never had before. His trampoline and shed got hit by falling trees, but he was overall ok.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Even though I moved from the area in 2004, I still have friends in the area.

The Heavy Rescue from Kent Island was the Limo at our wedding and the guys who crewed it both live in Bay City. One lives right on Rt. 8 below Farmer Johns.

I hope Paul, Dave, Woody, and families are all OK.

Wife was working COMMS unit today, saw our friend Paul, unfortunately not good news, major damage to his house. Roof, Siding, Windows, lots of tree damage.:mad::mad:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Wife was working COMMS unit today, saw our friend Paul, unfortunately not good news, major damage to his house. Roof, Siding, Windows, lots of tree damage.:mad::mad:

But he and his family is still alive. Material things can be replaced.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    But he and his family is still alive. Material things can be replaced.

True, and thankful for that.

When the wife was talking to him, he was 36 hours into serving the community with the Fire Co. all the while knowing his own property was damaged. His wife and daughter are members too.

BTW - This is thier carnival week. They were closed last night, but open tonight.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

Man, I totally forgot you were in there. Glad to hear that you and the family are ok. So many are so lucky and relatively few were less so. I know they weren't letting anyone in the community unless your drivers license proved that you lived there. I imagine you are good to go now, but I am available if you need help in any way.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The emergency services stood down around 1500. Delmarva was reporting everything that could be restored was. I sure there are places that fell through the cracks, but that was reported then.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Overboost44, thanks, and happy to help yesterday.

I'd be interested in updates on restoration of power if anyone can chime in.

The couple folks I know that live/work on Kent island reported exactly what you did. Essentially they too lost power for about a day; needing electricity was their most significant impact and they were surprised there were no casualties. One is considering a propane generator for short term emergency backup power as his business depends on it.

Last edited:

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    IIRC from the days of Hurricane Irene, those large metal poles carry the feeders that supply the electricity to the Island. Lose them and the whole Island is dark. During the flooding ftom Irene a sailboat tangled it's mast in them near Fisherman's Inn. That combined with the flooded areas had the Island down for several days.

Also, it was reported by Delmarva, that those poles are rated to withstand 200 mph + winds, so they were questioning the EF-2 rating.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    My wife and I were at the Hilton Garden Inn (right next to The Jetty Bar/Grill in/on Kent Narrows) for a little weekend getaway, Saturday through Monday.

Was a little crazy being awakened from a sound sleep by the cell phones with the alerts saying "Take Cover Now!"

If my mapping skills are anywhere near accurate, we were about 3 miles away?

Anyway, what I do know, regardless of the distance, was that the 3rd floor balcony door felt like it was trying to rip off of the hinges...pretty surreal, especially when still 1/2 asleep. There was one boat, docked at the Jetty that was getting knocked around pretty bad...I know whomever installed the tents/canopies for The Jetty, should get a raise...Those suckers looked like they were trying to rip the ground up underneath them, and suffered zero damage...only signs of a storm, was debris on the parking lot.

Hopefully, any of you locals that experienced any issues are well taken care of.

Pics were taken off our balcony earlier in the day...well before the big storm/tornado came...

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Those are some ferocious looking skies. Does it look like some horizontal rotation going on in the first picture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom