• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    FYI via email with DNR on the issue of whether or not the two does need to be taken between the regular and bonus antlered deer: "Once two antlerless deer and a buck are taken in any order, the bonus stamp can be used"

In any order.

I take that to mean, if you've already killed two does, you can now take two bucks in a row assuming you possess a bonus stamp?

Doofy_13

Dec 20, 2015
    Sykesville
    I take that to mean, if you've already killed two does, you can now take two bucks in a row assuming you possess a bonus stamp?

Yes you can.

Three years ago and prior you had to kill a buck, two does, and then you could kill your bonus buck. Last year they changed that so now you can kill two does and then kill two bucks. There is now no need to kill two does between bucks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes you can.

Three years ago and prior you had to kill a buck, two does, and then you could kill your bonus buck. Last year they changed that so now you can kill two does and then kill two bucks. There is now no need to kill two does between bucks.

That's funny because I never interpreted it that way back then. I think the Md DNR is pretty much twisted around their own axle lately.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg

This would be correct under three conditions:

1) You are not doing it in Region A

2) You will not exceed your antlered season bag limit. (which remember, is statewide now, not regional)

and

3) You are following the antler point restrictions

Doofy_13

Dec 20, 2015
    Sykesville
    That's funny because I never interpreted it that way back then. I think the Md DNR is pretty much twisted around their own axle lately.

I grew up in Michigan and moved to Maryland three years ago. The way the hunting regs are worded in the hunting handbook here is crazy and leaves a lot of room for confusion. Michigan handbook and laws were much easier to understand.

The hunting here is amazing though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This would be correct under three conditions:

1) You are not doing it in Region A

2) You will not exceed your antlered season bag limit. (which remember, is statewide now, not regional)

and

3) You are following the antler point restrictions

Those are all givens but, I appreciate your point.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    DNR Reading Comprehension Alert for Region B.

For years, I've assumed that ONE Antlered Deer and ONE Bonus Antlered Deer meant you could kill a maximum of TWO Antlered Deer per year.

The DNR deer hunting guidelines keep using the words per season and per year. Knowing there is an Archery Season, a Muzzle Loading Season, and a Firearms Season, I gave DNR a call to put this to rest once and for all.

I was told: ONE Antlered Deer can be taken during each of the three separate seasons. So now we're at THREE antlered deer for the year.

Here is where the head scratching came in. Both on my part and the DNR's part. They had to huddle up to get the correct answer and I commend them for that.

I asked them if the same theory holds true for the Bonus Antler Stamp. As in: Can you get a Bonus Antler Stamp for each of the three seasons? The phone went silent for a bit and then I was asked to hold on.

The lady came back and said only ONE Antlered Bonus Stamp may be purchased during the year, but could be used in any of the three seasons. Just as long as two Antlerless deer were taken first. This is something I and everyone else already knows.

Soooo, a total of FOUR Antlered Deer can be taken in Region B.

If this is common knowledge to some, feel free to heckle, snicker, or kick me in the nuts. If this long winded explanation has been helpful, as it has been to me, finally, enjoy using the information to kill more Antlered Deer.

Much thanks to the very helpful DNR lady.

I tried to explain this to my father-in-law today. It did not go well. He's convinced you can only get 2 bucks per year. I told him to call DNR himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom