• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Howdy,

This usually comes up each season, so here ya go.

On the right: A .40 caliber/180 grain Hornady XTP bullet and a Harvester brand sabot.

On the left: What CVA claims to be "The best muzzleloader bullet ever".

The .45 caliber/195 grain Powerbelt hollow point.

Both were fired using 40 grains of Benchmark powder and CCI 209 magnum primers.

Decide for yourselves.

power belt 001.JPG

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    hmmmmm.....well, in my CVA inline I have always used Pyrodex, 100grains, and powerbelts, Also 45 cal, never had a problem taking a deer....

Guess i have nothing to add...

R

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I helped my Dad sight in his CVA wolf and my friends CVA optima
    We started with Powerbelts because they never shoot well in anything I've used it in.
    What distance is that?

We then graduated to plinking bullets (the all lead ones). Then to Traditions Smackdowns.
    Buddies optima was planting a 2" group at 100 yards when we were done.
    The CVA wolf was a 2-3" group at 100 yards and about 1" @ 50. No more than 3 hits per group so there will be some variation if we keep going.

My other thing is we initially sight in with just 50 grains (1 pellet if using pellets) to conserve pellet use until we get it on an 8x10 sheet at 50 yards.

For my dad, I'll have him do what I did last year. Clean it and then take it to the range with a cold clean barrel and look at the first shot and see where it plants cause that is what counts.

You have to admit, the power belts are easy to load, but that does not get you accuracy. I don't see how those things can stay stright only being held by the back end. I just have to believe they wobble in flight. I can't say for sure, but I have yet to see someone post a tight group with them. I just don't think I'd trust a power belt out past 60 yards. But if I only had to shoot to 50 yards, It would not be an issue hunting. I don't think my dad will need anything past 60 yards, but I know my friend's property has his stand over a field with the tree line on the opposite side of the field at about 100 yards, maybe more.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Powerbelts suck out of my CVA. Tried a few other big names and i wasnt happy with them either

Now i shoot old lead wheel weight bullets that i get from Deep Creek Rock. They shoot great and put big holes in deer. I'll be shooting it tomorrow, cant wait!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That was at 30 yards. Where I hunt, my shots are usually between 15 and 50 yards. People say they can shoot a gnat in the nuts at 100 yards with them. Not buying it. There is no way for the bullet to bite into the rifling. And that little yellow plastic band isn't going to grip the rifling. And the bullet isn't going to swell up when fired. It's being sold as quick loading and that's it. But what good is a fast loading bullet that has a 5 inch spread at 30 yards. Hell, for that I'd just drag my 1766 Charleville musket into the woods with me. What would a .69 lead ball do to a deer?

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    What ML are you shooting with smokeless powder? Powerbelts aren't going to hold up to smokeless powder they said as much when the savage ml10 was released.

I had a ml10 and built an encore based 45cal smokeless for this season but I use vv120 powder

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    Just sighted in at Glenbrook this weekend using a new CVA Optima and 295gr Powerbelts.
    No problem, other than the shitty Winchester Triple Seven 209 primers.
    Several miss fires, and I only fired 12 shots.
    Went back to my 10yr old standard shotgun primers from Remington to hunt with.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    What ML are you shooting with smokeless powder? Powerbelts aren't going to hold up to smokeless powder they said as much when the savage ml10 was released.

I had a ml10 and built an encore based 45cal smokeless for this season but I use vv120 powder

It's an H&R shotgun receiver with a 16-1/2" H&R 45/70 Government barrel. I machined the chamber to take a 5/8"-18 breech plug that accepts 209 primers.

Handy little sucker at 30-1/2" OAL.

And I'm not sure 40 grains of Benchmark is that much different than 100-150 grains of, say, Tripple 7. I will have to try some Tripple 7 and report back.

benchmark gun 001.jpg

benchmark gun 002.JPG

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Power lets sucked out of my TC omega, hornady sabots cloverleaf at 100yards for me. Funny I just shot my muzzle loader tonight to make sure it was still good.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    To me, where I hunt (most shots under 50 yards), I've always wanted the best expansion I could get instead of a group that was tighter by an inch....and powerbelts seem to have a bad rep for not exspanding that great, and the anidotal evidence I've seen has suggested that. I use Barnes exspanders and those puppies open up great instaed of just punch through......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom