• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Hey all,

Working up a load for my new 6.5 Creedmoore (Wby. Altitude) and it seems that I bulged the shoulders out without even realizing it until I tried to chamber the rounds at the range. I figured I'd skip the Redding Type S bushing dies for this rifle, as it's a close quarters, thick woods deer gun with a 22" bbl., so I got standard RCBS dies instead (which have been more than sufficient for many of my other rifles).

Anyway, I bought a box of factory Sig Sauer 140-grain match ammo to get me on paper and to break the sum-bich in, and after that, figured I'd reload them to hone in on my pet load. Did my normal routine, brass prep, cleaned the dies, adjusting the cam-over, monitoring shoulder bump, etc. Somehow I bulged the cases at the shoulder (see pic) and don't know why? Went through the exact same routine with Starline brass and had absolutely no issues. Does Sig Sauer Brass suck or did I make a mistake?

Attachments

• thumbnail (13).jpg
      thumbnail (13).jpg
      15 KB · Views: 1,385

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It’s not your brass OP. It’s your seating die adjustment.

You’re running into an issue where your misadjusted die is trying to crimp a bullet that is not yet fully seated. The combination taking place in unison buckles your case shoulder.

Back your die out, and set your seating stem deeper to get unneeded crimping out of the process.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    It’s not your brass OP. It’s your seating die adjustment.

You’re running into an issue where your misadjusted die is trying to crimp a bullet that is not yet fully seated. The combination taking place in unison buckles your case shoulder.

Back your die out, and set your seating stem deeper to get unneeded crimping out of the process.

Thanks Uncle Duke. I'm purposely seating out of the cannelure, but now that I think of it, I know what you mean. I followed the RCBS instructions to back the seating die out a full turn. With other VLD's and Redding dies, I have not run into this problem with my other 6.5's. I'm still wondering why it did not happen (all things being equal) with the new Starline brass?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thanks Uncle Duke. I'm purposely seating out of the cannelure, but now that I think of it, I know what you mean. I followed the RCBS instructions to back the seating die out a full turn. With other VLD's and Redding dies, I have not run into this problem with my other 6.5's. I'm still wondering why it did not happen (all things being equal) with the new Starline brass?

Best guess, you’re within a few thousandths of being fine with your die adjustment. Not that you need to be that close.

If your Starline brass case length is even a few thousandths shorter, you could well be golden with it as that seat die is currently set, but not so with your Sig brass. In any event, you want to take crimping out of the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom