• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Some one posted in the edged weapons thread that he has seen switchblade knives at gun shows.

Is this true?

Rmocarsky

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Maybe but I rarely ever look at the knives at gun shows. But all the gun shows around us always have tables apon tables of knives, bayonets and swords.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have seen them on rare occasions. Mostly, they are just there as part of a collector's display. I was told that they are purchase restricted to LEO, First Responders and Military. Maybe someone can confirm that?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I have seen them on rare occasions. Mostly, they are just there as part of a collector's display. I was told that they are purchase restricted to LEO, First Responders and Military. Maybe someone can confirm that?
    In Maryland, they are legal to own by anyone. No transfer, in that you cannot "sell, barter, display, or offer to sell or barter".

I have given away a switchblade, as it seems a gift is okay.

https://knifeup.com/maryland-knife-laws/

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There are several dealers at the Chantilly show that have the Benchmade "spring assist" knives, that have a push button to deploy the blade and then push it again to retract it.

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    So in MD a switchblade or gravity opening knife is ok to own, but you cannot carry them? Seems that's what I read above. Didn't even know you could own one in Md. I notice Charles County is not included in the paragraph describing a dangerous weapon. Wonder what Charles County uses to define a dangerous weapon?

Dec 29, 2018
    Baltimore County
    There are several dealers at the Chantilly show that have the Benchmade "spring assist" knives, that have a push button to deploy the blade and then push it again to retract it.

I don’t know if it’s the exact same, but I bought something that sounds just like this at a timonium show a few months ago. I didn’t know it wasn’t a true switchblade but for the price I just grabbed it because I had never seen any for sale.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    I don’t know if it’s the exact same, but I bought something that sounds just like this at a timonium show a few months ago. I didn’t know it wasn’t a true switchblade but for the price I just grabbed it because I had never seen any for sale.

Was it a Smith and Wesson brand? The company the licenses the S & W name makes a handful of assisted OTF knives that are single action. Meaning you must manually retract the blade instead of pushing the button on the handle to close the knife. I have seen automatic knives at every gun show I have ever been to, including Maryland shows. The knife pictured below is an assisted opening OTF. It looks like a switch, but it's not.

Attachments

• S and W SWOTF9B assisted.jpg
      S and W SWOTF9B assisted.jpg
      12 KB · Views: 409

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Been to many gun shows in Maryland and Virginia and have seen switchblades at all of them. Some sellers will only sell to police and military and others(my favorites) will sell to anyone.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I carry a "Assisted Opening Knife" that I bought at a York Gun Show about 10 years ago...

It's green camo with an MIA / POW label, sold by TIGER USA...

Made in China, sold in PA for $10.00...

Made from 1065 Surgical Steel...

It's not the greatest piece of steel but I keep it sharp...

And I didn't buy it to carve with anyway...

It's half serrated on both sides, half very pointed...

It has a 3 3/4"' long blade x 5" overall closed, 8 3/4" is the working length...

It's a pocket clip knife that come out of my pocket pointed in the right direction with my index finger on the trigger...

It's very fast, it's a liner lock & it stays open until you close it...

It's a very well designed & manufactured machine...

It's very impressive when you "open it" for someone who hasn't seen one before...

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    One vender that I saw had some at the Timonium show yesterday. He was located on the front wall by the entry doors. he said that they were Italian made, he was selling them for $75 each. They were ok, but I wasn't impressed by the finish work, the bolster rivets weren't ground down flush and the bolsters weren't ground down to fit the frame.

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    Was it a Smith and Wesson brand? The company the licenses the S & W name makes a handful of assisted OTF knives that are single action. Meaning you must manually retract the blade instead of pushing the button on the handle to close the knife. I have seen automatic knives at every gun show I have ever been to, including Maryland shows. The knife pictured below is an assisted opening OTF. It looks like a switch, but it's not.
    Looks like a Benchmade Infidel or a copy their of. Nice knife.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I seem to recall that a dealer was busted for selling switchblades at the show that used to be held at the Carroll County Agg Center many years ago. Don't know how it turned out in court.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Plenty of on line venders will sell you anything you want

If you want something just look around

They are only illegal in a couple of areas in md so I don’t know why everyone is so scared of getting them

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Plenty of on line venders will sell you anything you want

If you want something just look around

They are only illegal in a couple of areas in md so I don’t know why everyone is so scared of getting them

I don't know why they were ever made illegal in some areas in the first place. Especially since there were switchblades in common use for one hundred years in the US before the 50's liberal white women became scared of Hollywood's propaganda portrayed in movies of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom