• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    Social media is the easiest way to do this. I’ve done basically nothing with my Facebook page since I set it up but I posted the bullet points from the MSI email last week and a note on how these laws will effect every gun owner in some way. I had one person who liked my page before that post.

A week later and that post has been seen by almost 15K people and almost 3K interacted with it. The 180 shares are by gun owners and the majority of the comments are people who are angry at MD for these bills. There was one who believed they had no chance in passing and another who thought all of these had already passed.

I’ve tried to boost the post so it gets in front of more people but Facebook will not let me. I’m jumping through their hoops to be able to boost it but who knows if they will end up letting me. Social media and good hashtags will get your content in front of people. I’m going to keep pushing things to Facebook and Instagram and hope something can actually be boosted to gain more attention.

WOW. You need to make it sound like you're selling something, I guess. But that's a great way to get a message out. I'm gonna do it, too!

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I don't want to be, believe me!

In terms of who runs the state legislature, who raises the political money (and from where), yeah - it's a generation lost to the left. That's why this can't be solved legislatively.

For as mopey as I sound, I actually AM optimistic about push-back on this whole topic, coming through the improving-by-the-day courts. If it had been Hillary Clinton filling up the federal courts (to say nothing of the SCOTUS), things would be dark for the republic indeed. Pitch dark.

Because when litigation opportunities arise, we need organizations willing and able to take advantage of them.
    There are lot of people who do this stuff professionally. Reading a little about it, target voter outreach in the conservative areas where voter turn out is very low is the key. The redistricting didn't help but keeping state congress from being a super majority is the first step. This all takes a massive volunteer group and compilation of data. Money and a good candidate to back. I concede that isn't happening with any gun group in this state.

I still contend that one politician needs to have the gumption to go into Baltimore and change it's future.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I talked to three " gun nuts" at work. One had no idea, one only knew about the HBARS and only half the scope of that, and the third knew a little more(and he is a cop). I educated all of them sent the MSI link to two of them to see and spread and posted it in two place on a hunting forum. Hope it adds something. I worry some are just going to have the "F it, I won't comply" attitude and do absolutely nothing to help.

honukane

Aug 15, 2012
    Southern Maryland-istan
    I wrote NRA ILA .. here is their unsatisfying response...

Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA regarding the current state of gun control in Maryland. The NRA-ILA is aware of the current state of affairs in Maryland and by no means have given up in your state. The NRA fights day in and day out in order to protect your 2nd Amendment rights, but there are steps you can take to help as well. It is important to contact your state representatives and senators and voice your opinion to them. The change in Maryland may come, but it will likely be a long and hard fight with many small legislative, political and legal victories.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA regarding the current state of gun control in Maryland. The NRA-ILA is aware of the current state of affairs in Maryland and by no means have given up in your state. The NRA fights day in and day out in order to protect your 2nd Amendment rights, but there are steps you can take to help as well. It is important to contact your state representatives and senators and voice your opinion to them. The change in Maryland may come, but it will likely be a long and hard fight with many small legislative, political and legal victories.

What part is unsatisfying? What did you expect them to say? Maryland's an uphill fight and they're telling you that.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Feel free to come to Annapolis on Feb 25 to voice your concerns to your elected officials. NRA can't do it for you.

Showing up is more than half the battle.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker

I think it is a well thought out response (NRA-ILA) .

What I would say I am disappointed at their low-profile , and lack of selling themselves and getting their cause and our cause out in the open .

But a final thought on it is they have to literally slay a dragon here in Maryland , so I don't want to be too critical .
    No organization has been able to crack the nut of guns in Maryland .

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    MSRPA is working on getting a better presence on social media and their website. As our Second VP alluded to in an earlier post in a related thread, we are all volunteers and most of us have full-time job (and second job) commitments.

Are you the Secretary of the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Organization? If so, that should be under your signature on the first line and in big, bold print. You guys need to establish a presence on this board and elsewhere. Yes, it sucks to be a volunteer sometimes. I know as I was involved as an officer with my kids' PTA for 4 years and it was painful at times. However, many hands makes light work. Our hardest problem was getting additional volunteers because everybody in this area has 3 jobs. Work on getting more people to help the cause.

I've actually met your 2nd VP, Mike, and I like him. I like Andi too. Wish I could do more to help right now, but I am swamped with tax season and other work I still owe clients.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The politicians don't care about the constituents, that's why you need to get some kind of recall procedure in place.

Most of the constituents will not recall or vote out of office a liberal politician solely on his/her position on the 2nd Amendment. Personally, I think we just need to go with one more referendum to see where Marylanders stand on the 2nd Amendment. If we lose, then we know that the fight must be at the national level in the hope of another 2nd Amendment case making it to SCOTUS and possibly clearing up what Heller means.

Now, if a referendum in Maryland on a gun bill is won, imagine what message that will send to the MGA.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Most of the constituents will not recall or vote out of office a liberal politician solely on his/her position on the 2nd Amendment.
    Now, if a referendum in Maryland on a gun bill is won, imagine what message that will send to the MGA.

Yup. 2A is a minor issue for MD voters, except for the small core of idealogues on both sides. But there are other weak points to go after with the left wing politicians. Taxes are a good vulnerability, especially after the effects the Federal tax reforms had on MD income taxes for a significant number of voters this year.

Referendums are a cumbersome tool in MD. They can be used to affirm or veto a particular law, but AFAIK there isn't a mechanism for citizen initiatives not directly linked to a specific statute. The problem is the proper rhetorical vessel for a referendum that answers the question you're posing about the underlying meaning of the 2A would have to be a truly draconian bill, like something that outlaws self defense or private ownership of firearms entirely. We're heading in that direction but not quite there yet.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Most of the constituents will not recall or vote out of office a liberal politician solely on his/her position on the 2nd Amendment. Personally, I think we just need to go with one more referendum to see where Marylanders stand on the 2nd Amendment. If we lose, then we know that the fight must be at the national level in the hope of another 2nd Amendment case making it to SCOTUS and possibly clearing up what Heller means.

Yup. 2A is a minor issue for MD voters, except for the small core of idealogues on both sides. But there are other weak points to go after with the left wing politicians. Taxes are a good vulnerability, especially after the effects the Federal tax reforms had on MD income taxes for a significant number of voters this year.

Referendums are a cumbersome tool in MD. They can be used to affirm or veto a particular law, but AFAIK there isn't a mechanism for citizen initiatives not directly linked to a specific statute. The problem is the proper rhetorical vessel for a referendum that answers the question you're posing about the underlying meaning of the 2A would have to be a truly draconian bill, like something that outlaws self defense or private ownership of firearms entirely. We're heading in that direction but not quite there yet.

I already addressed this:

It doesn't have to be just a recall for a gun bill. People don't like politicians. I'm sure each Sine Die, every Maryland citizen is upset about one or more of the new laws that were created. Maybe a rep submitted a bad gun bill and we want him gone, then he also voted against some kind of tranny protection bill so now that community wants him gone as well, and he also voted to raise the alcohol tax so all the beer drinkers and hell raisers want him gone. It's easy to get a lot of people angry at a single politician really quick.

Right now the MGA members can do what they want with no recourse. So many of them have no real opposition in the primaries or general elections that they take re-election for granted. A recall mechanism gives the power back to the people and holds the legislators accountable.

Shoyo

Mar 27, 2018
    It sure is frustrating. I heard that in Nevada the GA is trying to push through anti-2A laws in an overnight session, without hearing comments from Nevada’s citizens. I’m so angry about what is happening at the state level across this country.

This is true and happens here all the time. All the time. I have heard with my own ears politicians in Annapolis say "There's too much opposition here, we'll wait." Just like that

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Gaining control of seats in the state houses and pushing more gun control from there was and is the ground game of Bloomturd and his brother from another mother Bathroom Barry (Obama) Here in the Democratic People's Republic of Maryland (DPRM), the GA has the votes to override ANY veto by Larry. Remember the drive for 5 just to save Larry's veto power...we couldn't even accomplish to win 5 more seats. In the DPRM there is simple just not enough of us that care about the 2nd Amendment to cause a change. And even though many people might be firearm owners in Maryland, not enough of them care enough about fighting legislation that they believe will not effect them. Is Maryland a lost cause....at the moment it seems that way. Unless something drastically changes somehow I don't see Maryland EVER changing its stand on the 2nd Amendment. The ONLY way will be through he courts and as we all know that can change with the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom