• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I'm super happy for you guys. Hopefully more of you will start selling your pre-lock Smiths now.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    :lol2: I am so with you on that!

*****Ok. I think they will be *better* than the original Colt Pythons. They will be cheaper than the original Colt Pythons in inflation adjusted dollars, and there will at *least* four people under the age of 55 who will care.

I have absolutely *no* special information that is not already public regarding any of the above but just want to throw my opinion and carefully considered thoughts on this subject out there since this is MDS and it's what we do here!!!!

Once these come out, I can't wait to argue with those that have original Colt Pythons telling those with new Colt Pythons how much better the originals were, how they were built by craftsmen who hand tooled each mechanism to insure perfect alignment of parts, and how the new Pythons were mostly built by mindless robots in a sterile factory with only cursory inspection by a guy whose Mom Demands Action, but gets none.

Those with new Colt Pythons will argue value and practicality, in addition to not being afraid to actually shoot their gun, as they are now more affordable than the originals in inflation adjusted dollars, and available with a variety of options, including a presentation case made of recyclable and/or compostable material, extra grips to fit smaller effeminate hands versus manly hands, and sights with limited edition "Python Eyes" Tritium night globes that change color from green to red as you shoot your new gun.

You heard all of this here first on MDS !!!

I don't know--I feel like people were pretty fair about the new P210s and the new MR73s.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Under 55 that watch The Walking Dead will buy if priced right. I had to rain on my cousins parade years ago when he had hopes of buying one and shooting zombie targets at the range.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My take is if the new Pythons are built like the originals the shooter will need to decide what they want. If a shooter in that format is desired buy a 585, 686 or a GP-100. If one wants an expensive revolver to ooo and aahhh and use gently once or twice a year, then the Python will fill the bill.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My take is if the new Pythons are built like the originals the shooter will need to decide what they want. If a shooter in that format is desired buy a 585, 686 or a GP-100. If one wants an expensive revolver to ooo and aahhh and use gently once or twice a year, then the Python will fill the bill.

Mine comes to the range fairly often. It’s one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    North of $2K will need some serious quality, and a REALLY nice trigger out of the box. Otherwise, buy an older one.

I can't see a stainless Python going for much <$2k, especially at first when supply is gonna be tight and demand is gonna be high.

I wouldn't mind having a 4" to shoot regularly and being stainless, I think it would hold-up pretty well.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Damn. OK, some backstory - the Colts were noted as being more accurate than the S&W revolvers due to the faster twist rifling (1-14 vice 1-18). Otherwise, I'd agree that a 686 is the better bargain.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    True, but they didn’t hold up under hard steady use like the Smiths and Rugers. On the tail end of the time when the revolver was still king in the action shooting sports, I didn’t see many Pythons. Most shooters used modified and tuned Smith 19’s. I asked some of them why the Smith (I used a Ruger Security Six) and they said durability, smooth action, and cost.
    I shoot mine occasionally at the most. Parts availability and the folks building them are disappearing. How much the new Python is like the old one I don’t know. If the same, then builder and parts availability could change that. But the “first generation” collectible status will keep it treated gently. I hope Colt updated the lockwork past the shortcomings of the earlier generation. It would be a boon to sales if they don’t stratespherically price it.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    The latest from the rumor mill: MSRP, $1400-1500.

Yeahhhhh, right! Holy crap, if THAT's true, look for the Armscorp stamping under the grips...
    (And, if that MSRP really is true, put me down for one, provided it's not a POS!)

Speaking of Colts, Mrs. OMC had always (maybe not always, let's say for the last 20 years or so) wanted a genuine Colt SAA, 4&5/8" bbl, 45 Colt ONLY. (she knows her mind when it comes to this sort of thing)

This Christmas, I gave her one. This past summer, I was visiting a buddy up in Connecticut, a friend that I had worked with at a gun store back in the 80s and 90s, and we were bumming around the existing shops up there. One place had a single one, around $2k, new. The next place (Hoffmans, if any are familiar) had THREE at $1800 each! I got to pick best of three for color case hardening and front sight alignment (straightness). I chose well, apparently...

The wife's first efforts at about 20 yards. There are 10 rounds of Aguila 200 lfps Cowboy loads in that pile, I know it looks a bit short, but I'm sure there are a pair of doubles in there. Admittedly, the trigger is atrocious, but the sights sure enough shoot to center.
    mgZsTBx.jpg

Excuse my poor picture taking skills, they rob an easy 20% of the beauty of this gun.
    CAmhwFF.jpg

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Seems like an odd nostalgic cash grab.

Most of the originals sell for between $2-3K on Gunbroker, so a reissue should be less than that price. But how can they make a Colt Custom hand fitted/hand polished pistol for under $2k?

For that money, I would rather have an original.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Seems like an odd nostalgic cash grab.

Most of the originals sell for between $2-3K on Gunbroker, so a reissue should be less than that price. But how can they make a Colt Custom hand fitted/hand polished pistol for under $2k?

For that money, I would rather have an original.

I've been looking for a python for a couple of years now. I can tell you that any under 3k sell quick. I have found a couple in the 2500 range but they are well used and shooter grade. For me personally if I'm spending 3k for a Python I'm looking for a really nice one.

At Dulles this weekend I saw at least 7 and all were over 3k with the cheapest or least expensive one was 3300. I believe the wife saw one they were claiming was never fired with the box and all paperwork for 6k(Don't quote me on that I wasn't paying attention to her at that moment).

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I've been looking for a python for a couple of years now. I can tell you that any under 3k sell quick. I have found a couple in the 2500 range but they are well used and shooter grade. For me personally if I'm spending 3k for a Python I'm looking for a really nice one.

At Dulles this weekend I saw at least 7 and all were over 3k with the cheapest or least expensive one was 3300. I believe the wife saw one they were claiming was never fired with the box and all paperwork for 6k(Don't quote me on that I wasn't paying attention to her at that moment).

IMHO gunshow prices are just a number someone is asking. The true value can be found online through the sale prices of similar auctions.

There seem to be plenty that sell in this range:
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842022947
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/845895705
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847621617

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    There were some at the York show as low as $1800, I think. I didn't really look too closely...I don't know enough about them to compare, other than $1800 is still out of my price range :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom