• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Not sure about the oil filter adapter. If I understood the wording properly bythe (ATF) the filter is part of the suppressor making it "unreplaceable" without paying for another stamp. Does it imply the serial number being placed on the filter? While I've seen you tube videos that they work. I so not think it is worth in to shell out $200 each time I change the filter.
    The adapters are the suppressor, not the oil filler.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    The adapters are the suppressor, not the oil filler.

IANAL but

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/08/...sors-especially-in-relation-to-solvent-traps/

Nevertheless, during a discussion on ATF-29p (ATF’s Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking relating to Silencer/Suppressor engravings), ATF’s Mike Curtis and Earl Griffith with the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (“FATD”) stated that ATF views “makers” of silencers/suppressors differently than “manufacturers.” Specifically, the example of solvent traps was brought up, where they stated that ATF’s position is that a “maker” of a silencer cannot replace a silencer part without filing a new Form 1, paying another $200.00 and obtaining approval from ATF; whereas, a manufacturer, may lawfully replace a silencer part in a silencer it manufactured, provided that the part that is being replaced is destroyed. While there does not exist any specific statutory provision to support this contention, Mr. Curtis went on to explain that an individual who files a Form 1 to make a “solvent trap silencer” can only use the original oil/fuel filter that is installed and is barred from replacing a previously utilized oil/fuel filter with a new filter, absent a newly approved Form 1.

https://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_26_69

If or when you need to change the filter out, the ATF/NFA rules says it needs to come back to the original manufacture, which Cadiz Gun Works is. The cost is $25.00. The complete Econo-Can Suppressor can be shipped directly to us, for gunsmithing, which would be replacement/rehab/repair of the oil filter, with the serial # remarked, and documented as being replaced/rehabbed/repaired. The completed Econo Can Suppressor can be sent back to you at your address on your NFA Tax Stamp Form. You do not need to go though a dealer for gunsmithing services. The life of the oil filter varies depending on caliber used and bullet type. (ex. AR15=300-500 rds)

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Just mailed off my 1st Form 1 Suppressor paper work today. Hopefully it will be a short wait. Or at least approved before my host gun is approved.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Electronic would have come back in about 35 days. In addition to that the electronic is probably faster to complete. I've completed a eForm 1 in about 8 minutes, for one of my submissions.

The form 1 probably took me the same 8 minutes to complete and print out. I pasted the basic info from some of my other saved PDF forms. We'll see how long this takes for approval. And with 55+ approved tax stamps, I'm very used to a little ATF wait time. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The form 1 probably took me the same 8 minutes to complete and print out. I pasted the basic info from some of my other saved PDF forms. We'll see how long this takes for approval. And with 55+ approved tax stamps, I'm very used to a little ATF wait time. :)

Hell, at that rate, you should have on coming in every week! :lol2:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Not sure about the oil filter adapter. If I understood the wording properly bythe (ATF) the filter is part of the suppressor making it "unreplaceable" without paying for another stamp. Does it imply the serial number being placed on the filter? While I've seen you tube videos that they work. I so not think it is worth in to shell out $200 each time I change the filter.

I don't know the real answer, but I was always under the impression only the adapter was serialized. This is consistent with normal silencers where the tube is the serialized part. You can still replace worn/damaged baffles.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    exactly

I don't know the real answer, but I was always under the impression only the adapter was serialized. This is consistent with normal silencers where the tube is the serialized part. You can still replace worn/damaged baffles.

yup.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I found the reddit post about extra baffles and replacing them being legal. There was a Redacted letter which did mention that it was okay to replace baffles. To my understanding of that thread the ATF is not really poking around for those who have Form1s.

With respect to the thing about replacing the oil filter and where the serial number is placed in the oil filter suppressor, I have not really looked into with Google fu as an oil filter will likely block the front sight so other than a novelty I really have no use or interest in having one for the purpose of such a suppressor other than shooting point blank. Whereas there are different internet threads discussing where the serial is placed on an oil filter suppressor, and whether it needs to be replaced by a manufacturer; I would not want to spend time or money being the test balloon defending it in court that the body of the oil filter is not the tube.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River

Sir, Actually the tube is where the serial number is placed. Not at the adapter. You could use a LID or swap it to a fixed adapter as the tube has the serial number.

Kinda stretching it by implying that the oil filter adapter is the tube of the suppressor. The filter body itself likely makes the tube and the filter material inside it comprises the baffle. Hence why I am not likely to make a Form1 oil filter suppressor because of this.

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD
    Question about e-submit a From 1.

ATF said after I e-submit the form, I will receive a cover letter for finger print card. And the card has to be mailed with 10 days of the submission of the form. So I'd better get the finger print card ready before submitting form 1, is this correct? Is there anywhere still open and can do finger prints? Last time I did the print in Elliccott City, don't know if they are considered essential or not right now.

Thanks for the help guys!

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Question about e-submit a From 1.

ATF said after I e-submit the form, I will receive a cover letter for finger print card. And the card has to be mailed with 10 days of the submission of the form. So I'd better get the finger print card ready before submitting form 1, is this correct? Is there anywhere still open and can do finger prints? Last time I did the print in Elliccott City, don't know if they are considered essential or not right now.

Thanks for the help guys!

I just did my own fingerprints at home

Bought the cards and ink from national gun trusts. Fast shipping.

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD
    I just did my own fingerprints at home

Bought the cards and ink from national gun trusts. Fast shipping.

Wait, you can do it yourself? How do they know it's my fingerprint then? Anyone can download the finger print card and print it out right? Isn't there some kind of notarization element in this process by going through the police or licensed venders? Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom