• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRBENJR

Jan 5, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    I purchased two service grades several months ago, a Winchester and a Springfield. Both gage at under 1.5. and are great shooters. Both however, have new production stocks. So, if you are looking for an M1 as a shooter, I say go with CMP. If you are lloking for a historically accurate M1, then you should either go to one of the CMP stores and choose one for yourself, or look at other sources. The thing with CMP is that you will get a good weapon at a great price.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Crap I suck at gambling I usually loose

If you order a service grade or higher you are not gambling, except with what kind of wood you might get.

If you really want a shooter without gambling on getting the birch wood get a service grade special.

They are like new rifles in nice new walnut stocks.

If you have to have all USGI with pretty wood spend the bucks and get a correct grade- or troll the CMP forums until someone puts a garand you like up for sale in the classifieds.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I can't believe this thread got bumped! It certainly helps me out as I'm sooooo close (within a couple weeks) to ordering my first garand from the CMP. I'm looking for a good shooter with new wood. I can't decide between the $595, $895 and $995 models (I second MightyWarMonger's opinion). My major dilemma is that I don't want to get the service grade and be faced with buying a new stock and barrel but I don't want to spent 900 or 1000 bucks if the service grades will get me what I need. It appears the prevailing opinion is to gamble on the service grade...

I did see a note in the service grade category that they might come with new wood. Do you think the CMP would select one with new wood for me if I asked real nice?

JRBENJR

Jan 5, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    I can't believe this thread got bumped! It certainly helps me out as I'm sooooo close (within a couple weeks) to ordering my first garand from the CMP. I'm looking for a good shooter with new wood. I can't decide between the $595, $895 and $995 models (I second MightyWarMonger's opinion). My major dilemma is that I don't want to get the service grade and be faced with buying a new stock and barrel but I don't want to spent 900 or 1000 bucks if the service grades will get me what I need. It appears the prevailing opinion is to gamble on the service grade...

I did see a note in the service grade category that they might come with new wood. Do you think the CMP would select one with new wood for me if I asked real nice?

Like I posted above, both of the service grades I ordered came with new wood. Both were in very very good condition and almost looked like new metal. The only possible difference I can see between what I received and what you would get if you order a special grade would be a new barrel.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)

If you put a sticky note on your order, asking for new wood, chances are you'll receive just that...

Jamie

I bumped it because I was thinking about buying one from CMP for the pourpouse of being a more accurate shooter than my H&R M1 that I got at a gun show. The one I'm thinking about from CMP will be more of a shooter than collector only because I can't get a accurate shooter for the price I want to pay so soothing had to give.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Service grade specials do not have new barrels.

If you order a service grade and request the new wood chances are VERY HIGH you will get it.

If you order a service grade there is NO CHANCE you will need to replace the barrel,

If you order a freaking Field Grade there is next to no chance you will need to re barrel (<10%) but only if you are looking for a match shooter. For a normal range gun you will not need to rebarrel. You will get wood that is beat, with a capital BEAT.

If you order a rack grade you should expect to have to rebarrel for a match shooter, but again should get something fine for plinking. My worst rack grade had a 3+ at the muzzle and a 4+ at the throat but it's a WWII barrel so I am willing to accept that. I don't shoot matches with it and it delivers the 4MOA the gun was designed to deliver. Let me repeat that- it delivers the 4MOA the gun is designed to deliver.

It actually shoots better than that but you need to have realistic expectations of what a garand is designed to do. It will shoot much better but that takes work, careful fitting of parts and tweaking.

Last edited:

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    It actually shoots better than that but you need to have realistic expectations of what a garand is designed to do. It will shoot much better but that takes work, careful fitting of parts and tweaking.

My goal is to be able to shoot with reasonable accuracy - in this case we'll call it "center mass hits on an FBI Q target at 100 yards". If I could get reasonable accuracy at 200 yards - in this case "scorable hits on the targets they used at the Thurmont Mosin/Military Matches", i'd be tickled pink. Honestly, though, I will be shooting 100 yards or less 90% of the time, so that's my gold standard.

I'm not expecting perfection for $595, but it's reassuring to know i'll almost certainly get a decent to good shooter for that with the possibility of having new wood to boot.

Thank you very much for the definitive and very helpful answers you posted. I feel pretty good about getting a service grade and asking very nicely for new wood :)

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'm more than willing to show you how to tweak it for maximum accuracy. I've gotten pretty good at it. The new stocks need quite a bit of tuning in order to reach their maximum potential, but I definitely know the ins and outs.

without tuning they will definitely hold the black, with the right touch ups the 10 ring is all yours!

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    That's mighty nice of you. Perhaps I'll take you up on the offer sometime. First step is to actually get the thing ordered :)

side note, i sent an email to cmp sales and they said "most service grade garands are coming with new wood" . good enough for me!

edit: i probably should have just done that earlier rather than cluttering up the thread needlessly - i'm sorry, folks.

Last edited:

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    Well, either way, you brought it to the attention to those that didn't know.

Now that I've got a few more facts under my belt, a CMP Garand looks like a good future investment.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    This is my service grade special. I can't find anything wrong with it. It came with new wood and all of the parts look as if they were never used. It took me a full day to remove all of the cosmoline. I have not been able to take it to a long range yet, but it shoots real tight groups at 100 yards. You can't go wrong with CMP.

M1.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Be aware that the new wood on the Service Grades is birch, not walnut. The birch is dyed a sort of chocolate brown, but can be refinished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom