• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah I didnt think there were that many horse riders in MD to be able to sway the laws and if you are shooting at a horse thinking its a deer you got some problems any how...just made me shake my head at the no Sunday hunting law in MD...

In my experience (and my neighbor who is a groom and horseback riding instructor and one of those horse people agrees) horse people are often arrogant jerks. They can and should be allowed to ride where ever the heck they like whenever the heck they like. That includes private property. The only issue I have with sharing hunting property with horses is that at least a few horse folks like to go riding while trails are still saturated so it tears the hell out of them and makes walking trails or dragging game on them a horrible pain in the butt (looking at patuxent in particular).

I can almost grant recreational "other" users that on public lands on Sunday's not having to worry about hunters is nice. However there is ZERO reason hunting shouldn't be legal through out Maryland on private land on Sundays. Trespassing is no reason to shoot someone, but also if you are stupid enough to be riding horseback or hiking through someone's private property without permission and you take a round because you aren't wearing blaze orange well guess what, your fault.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    The horse people at Patuxent are THE WORST. They come through like their the damn British Cavalry with 50 hounds, air horns, red coats and galloping and I better stop thinking about it before my blood pressure gets out of control. I pretty much don't hunt there anymore because I've had so many hunts ruined by them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I can't say I've observed that, but I have heard and seen pairs of riders riding along talking to each other like they were trying to be heard on the other side of a crowded stadium. Like actually yelling to each other from 20ft away. Mostly along the powerlines. I haven't yet run in to any within the park itself. So far

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    this is just rumor but I heard it was for horse riders so they could go out on public lands to ride around and not get shot at:shrug: I know that opens a can of worms..

Really? They are being shot at during hunting season?

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    From their own words (horse council):

"At our Quarterly Meeting in November, we voted to pursue a compromise position that would allow DNR to authorize Sunday hunting on all Sundays during the deer firearms and muzzleloader season, generally on various dates falling between late October and early January....as long as it ended at 10:30 am. One of the reasons we voted to try this approach is that we also felt that a more uniform system would be more beneficial than the current patchwork of rules that differ county-by-county."

The are only "offering" this "compromise" because they see the writing on the wall, that they will eventually lose this battle.

Nice of a CITY Delegate to allow hunters in the city though, since it so overrun with animals.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I just completed their unscientific survey. I bet my answers are discarded
    I filled it out too. We have horses on our property, my wife rides regularly. I hunt at least once a week, twice when Sunday is legal. She has no issues with our neighbors that hunt. We all respect each others space...it really shouldnt be that hard. The whole Sunday thing is so frustrating, its my damned property.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom