• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I noticed today while in Walmart in Prince Frederick that the winchester .45 100 round value pack was $43. At the Walmart in Fallston that I normally go to it is $54. Any one else notice difference in pricing depending on walmart location?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yep, I see contradictory pricing in the ammo spotting threads all the time and the kicker is they "claim" that ammo is the ONLY item in the store that cannot be price matched :rolleyes:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Carroll Island Walmart has had 100 round value pack .45 for $43 for the last several months. Even Freestate range sells it for less than $45.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    "Regional marketing". Fallston is comprised of mostly of higher income residents.

yes, it is telling that the WMs in SoMD, western MD, and the eastern shore are usually the lower priced one's as compared to places like Towson, Fallston, abingdon, etc.

I'd also like a legitimate explanation as to why they won't internally price match ammo like they will on ANYTHING else if you ask.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Walmart does not price match between stores...

I'm sure the store in Fallston pays some a$$ raping BS county taxes that Calvert County has yet to even consider....

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Walmart does not price match between stores...

I'm sure the store in Fallston pays some a$$ raping BS county taxes that Calvert County has yet to even consider....

yes they do. My wife has gotten them to price match kids clothes, bed sheets, and some rubbermaid buckets amongst other things after seeing ads for it. They will also match online prices if you ask. I asked about ammo a couple months back when I saw some 7.62x39 price $1 higher than what was reported at an eastern shore WM. The sporting goods manager told me ammo is the only thing they don't price match.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The management sets the prices according to the area market. At least that's what I was told when I drove to Hampstead WM for 30-30 and found it was $3.50 more per box than at Cockeysville.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Walmart and Dicks Sporting Goods in the Howard County, Anne Arundel, Baltimore and White Marsh areas all seem to have high ammo prices. I was there for black Friday once and remember dropping in the firearms part of the store and ammo prices were not part of the sale

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I noticed that WWB 9mm 100 packs dropped from $29 to $26.

Yes, I got 3 100 packs 9mm 2 weeks ago at the Germantown Wal-Mart for $26.67 each. Not sure what other stores price them at as this one is the only one that I've seen them at other then Dick's at the Rio which want over $30 I think.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I was curious about the differing prices not only for ammo but also firearms. Most noticeable is the Mossberg Model 500, at one local store the 20 guage is selling for $209 while 20 miles away the same shotgun is $269 at another Walmart. So I asked someone I have known a long time in management at Walmart why the differing prices. He told me that stores have the difference to make up for losses due to theft, he used the other word but I cannot remember it this early. Basically a store that is hit harder by theft will raise prices to make up for the loss. I looked at the price of the 5 quart Motorcraft oil that I use, and sure enough, the store with the lower gun prices also sells the oil for less. I know that the California Walmart is hit hard by thieves, and their prices are higher.

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air
    That's not 100% accurate. Companies do increase prices to to cover losses or "shrinkage" but it never a store by store decision. Prices are set by market and as some said earlier a higher end areas very well may have higher prices than other lower end markets.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I was curious about the differing prices not only for ammo but also firearms. Most noticeable is the Mossberg Model 500, at one local store the 20 guage is selling for $209 while 20 miles away the same shotgun is $269 at another Walmart. So I asked someone I have known a long time in management at Walmart why the differing prices. He told me that stores have the difference to make up for losses due to theft, he used the other word but I cannot remember it this early. Basically a store that is hit harder by theft will raise prices to make up for the loss. I looked at the price of the 5 quart Motorcraft oil that I use, and sure enough, the store with the lower gun prices also sells the oil for less. I know that the California Walmart is hit hard by thieves, and their prices are higher.

That's not 100% accurate. Companies do increase prices to to cover losses or "shrinkage" but it never a store by store decision. Prices are set by market and as some said earlier a higher end areas very well may have higher prices than other lower end markets.
    JVP, what's your source?

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    The two stores I mention, California and Dunkirk. Dunkirk is a much more affluent area than California yet their prices are lower. Hmm.. My only complaint with them is that their ammo locker is almost always bare.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    My source is 25 yrs in Big box store, district and regionalManagement. I'm not guessing on this one.

Nah, didn't think you were guessing. You both have friends in upper management with different opinions. That's nothing new :lol2:

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    ^^^ If I ride around in one of those motorized scooter carts in WalMart will I get a discount?? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom